Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 07:48 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

I've just inherited a 2014 Dodge Avenger.

It was lightly driven since new by my wife's grandmother and only has ~30k miles.

I'm excited about it because I've been wanting a more fuel efficient vehicle to drive to work and zip around town (my current vehicles are both V8s).

I've never owned a Dodge before, so my question is are there any common problems I need to look out for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 06:37 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
If it's a 4 cyl no need to worry about changing out the timing belt. Dodge has a timing chain. Change the oil every 5k miles and it will run for 200K.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Just beware of the dealers, go elsewhere for service if you can. We had a Jeep Liberty and later a Dodge Challenger, and we tried all 5 dealers in our area, every one tried to rip us off by saying that we needed additional work that was not needed. One tried to charge us for a belt while it was on warranty and I had to show him the language in the warranty booklet.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,948,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
I've never owned a Dodge before, so my question is are there any common problems I need to look out for?
No major common problem found for 2014 Dodge Avenger and 2014 Chrysler 200 4-cylinder. Throttle sensor part underneath gas pedal is a sometimes problem due to a recall at one time, and its battery is very difficult to change located at front-left underneath area near the wheel.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:42 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
My wife had a 2007 Chrysler Sebring and my aunt has a 2010 Dodge Avenger, both with the 2.4L engine. Neither has had problems with the engine nor transmission. Be ready for trouble when it comes time to replace the battery. Unless they made some major changes, the battery change requires removing the front driver’s side tire and sections of the wheel well to access the battery. Sure it’s more fuel efficient than a V8 vehicle but it is more thirsty than its similar size engine competitors even in the years they were made. If you want to maximize fuel efficiency then I’d suggest replacing your tires with low rolling resistance fuel efficient tires from a reputable brand. Before replacing her car she got some Bridgestone LRR tires and noticed an increase in her average fuel efficiency.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,948,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My wife had a 2007 Chrysler Sebring and my aunt has a 2010 Dodge Avenger, both with the 2.4L engine. Neither has had problems with the engine nor transmission.
This 2.4L engine is called World, first released in 2007, which was originally designed by Hyundai and Mitsubishi together during alliance, and it's the most-reliable 4-cylinder engine Chrysler could ever put out and offer to customers, looks like for years to come. 2016 Jeep Compass was once rated most-reliable domestic vehicle by Consumer Reports at one time. More surprisingly, Chrysler's own 2.4L World turns out to be more-reliable than Hyundai/Kia's own 2.4L Theta version, due to a major recall on Theta II on engine seizure.

Today, Dodge Journey is the last vehicle using the old 2.4L World, but comes with only 4-speed automatic from ancient 1989 design.

Chrysler replaced World with TigerShark direct-injection with Fiat's technology going from DOHC into SOHC valvetrain, and it suddenly went from great reliability to just pure junk headache. Oil burning and engine stalls are currently ongoing common problems in TigerShark with no fix yet completely, and 9-speed auto transmission made by ZF is also junk too. Don't rent one of these vehicles, unless you like to be stranded on the road. Very sad...

See Jeep Cherokee at carcomplaints.com since 2014 model year.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Cherokee/

Last edited by waltchan; 09-11-2019 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,307 times
I have the same vehicle purchase new in 2014. I only have 20,000 mile. No problems at all. There have been 2 recalls for it, nothing major the dealer repaired them in less than a hour for each issue. I get the oil changed and tires rotated just once a year. Good mileage. Extremely happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram