Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,721 times

Advertisements

Hi all --

I'm a recent college graduate and will be moving to Cincinnati at the end of the month to start my job. I am currently in the process of looking for housing and have been told that the Hyde Park, Mt. Adams and Mt. Lookout neighborhoods are best for "young professionals." I will be making my apartment hunting trip up to Cincy this weekend but have a slight dilemma. Ideally I would like to live with a roommate as this might help to lessen the costs. Also, as I am new to the area, I feel like this will allow for more chances to meet new people. However, after searching for over a month online and contacting all of my resources, I have yet to come up with anyone. Does anyone out there know of any good places to search other than Craigslist or roommates.com and such? I have to meet with the realtor my company is providing in a few days, and I think she is planning to show me 1 and 2 BR places. I'd prefer not to spend more than $700-800/month on rent and utilities, and realize that this would be much more feasible (and I could get a nicer place) if I had a roommate. However, I don't have the money right now to pay $1,300+ a month until I find someone. Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,816,010 times
Wht don't you consider putting an ad out on craigslist stating you are looking for a roommate and the circumstances. I would think you should get some responses.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,741 times
checkout downtown too. new bars and clubs are opening up it seems like every weekend.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 PM

560 posts, read 2,077,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc99 View Post
I am currently in the process of looking for housing and have been told that the Hyde Park, Mt. Adams and Mt. Lookout neighborhoods are best for "young professionals."
I think the above statement is correct. However, given your desire for a roommate and saving money, I'd also look into Clifton. Lots of UC students rent in the area with roommates. Try the uptownrents.com website.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,721 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! I had looked at Clifton a bit but have heard that it might not be the safest area...? Does anyone know about the demographic makeup of the Oakley and Columbia-Tusculum areas? I've noticed that rent tends to be a little bit cheaper here but don't know if those neighborhoods are young/hip/whatever enough to draw in a roommate similar in age/lifestyle.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,741 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I had looked at Clifton a bit but have heard that it might not be the safest area...? Does anyone know about the demographic makeup of the Oakley and Columbia-Tusculum areas? I've noticed that rent tends to be a little bit cheaper here but don't know if those neighborhoods are young/hip/whatever enough to draw in a roommate similar in age/lifestyle.
I live in Columbia Tusculum right now. definitely a young professional area. same with oakley. it is rare to see anyone over 40 in either of these areas. so no you will not have any trouble finding a young roommate. there are some exceptions in oakley, certain pockets have not yet given in to the wave of yuppies.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,009 times
I always suggest Mount Adams and Mount Lookout.

Welcome to Cincy, one of the top 10 cities for recent college grads. Who are you going to be working for if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:38 PM

94 posts, read 240,350 times
Honestly, what about looking in areas that are cheaper but still good for YPs? Having a roommate can be a disaster. I'd suggest looking at the gaslight district in Clifton. I lived in that area as a single female YP, and I loved it. I wouldn't live in the Corryville area where most of the students live though.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 PM

94 posts, read 240,350 times
Oh, and what I meant by Corryville, that's what most people call "Clifton." Clifton and Corryville border each other. The university is in Corryville, and where the students (and rift raft) live. I wouldn't feel comfortable in Corryville at night, but the gaslight district in Clifton I would. The gas light district is most streets that intersect Ludlow.

Just keep in mind that most Cincinnatians call the entire area Clifton even though it really isn't. Clifton is where a lot of the teachers and grad students live.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,975,206 times
Quote:
I would not advise a young professional moving to Cincy to end up in Clifton. In fact, i would recommend anyone to move to Clifton unless you are attending UC. Otherwise, i dont believe it is worth it. There are better spots to pick.

Oakley is right next to Hyde Park. You get everything you do in HP and sometimes for a cheaper price. The line between the two has become pretty greyed to the point where they are basically the same neighborhood. Columbia-Tusculum is an up and coming area. I like it down there and its close to MT Lookout. You would be fine there too.

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati