Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 AM

269 posts, read 778,947 times

Advertisements

I have only been here for about two years, so I do not have much experience with summers here. For those who have been here for a while, does this summer seem hotter than normal? Last summer was rather pleasant IMO. It was relatively cool, although July was pretty much a washout. This year, it seems like it has been scorching hot since late May. I just wanted to know if this is a relatively typical summer for the Cincinnati area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
We moved here about 2.5 years ago, so I know where you're coming from. According to the news - last July was the "coolest" on record. I think this July is hotter than usual, though I haven't seen stats to back that up. HOwever, when compared to last summer - it makes it that much dramatic. As is evidenced by my electrical bill comparisons to last year's usage.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:02 AM

^ Yeah, my electric bill for this summer has been literally about two times higher than what it was last year. Last year my AC was off for half the summer.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
I have only been here for about two years, so I do not have much experience with summers here. For those who have been here for a while, does this summer seem hotter than normal? Last summer was rather pleasant IMO. It was relatively cool, although July was pretty much a washout. This year, it seems like it has been scorching hot since late May. I just wanted to know if this is a relatively typical summer for the Cincinnati area?
Certainly more typical than last summmer, which for those of us who grew up here was a complete anomaly.

Back during the Great Depression, prior to the days of common AC, people would drag their mattresses out onto the roof tops in order to sleep at all. I remember in the early 50s my father installed a huge whole house attic fan which would draw air through the bedroom windows like you were in a wind tunnel to give the illusion of being comfortable.

I would say 90+ degrees coupled with 90+ humidity is rather typical of Cincinnati summers. And we haven't yet hit the dog days of August when things get really miserable. Unfortunately, in my lifetime here this summer is more typical than not.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:12 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
I basically agree with kjbrill. I won't say this is "normal", but it's not unusual either. As far as temperatures go, this is pretty common for the height of summer. It has been known to get hotter than this in Cincinnati, believe me. I've lived in SW Ohio since 1965, and it cycles among good summers and bad summers. This is a bit on the bad side, but nothing extreme. It hasn't been that long ago that we had a string of days in the upper 90s, with a few days over 100. That was within the past 5 years.

I will say the thing I've noticed about this summer, which seems a bit "off", is the long string of days with such high humidity. Granted, Cincinnati is known for it's humidity in the summers, but usually it breaks after a few days, then feels much better outside, even if it is still hot. That doesn't seem to be happening this summer. This humidity is what gets to me the most. I detest summers anyway, and the mugginess makes it worse.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Back during the Great Depression, prior to the days of common AC, people would drag their mattresses out onto the roof tops in order to sleep at all. I remember in the early 50s my father installed a huge whole house attic fan which would draw air through the bedroom windows like you were in a wind tunnel to give the illusion of being comfortable.
Wow, I can't even imagine that! And yet, people of my generation complain when the AC is out for a day or two. My AC went out in May, and it made me reflect upon my parents always talking about what it was like growing up without AC.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 AM

People always usually say the dog days of August, but doesn't it technically start cooling off around mid August (at least in the northern tier)?

When I lived in Charleston, August could easily be considered the hottest month, and it could still be muggy and well in the upper 80's through September-yuck!

I'm like shyspider, I'm not a fan of summers. I really do not like the intense sun angle and excessive heat-I'm weird I guess. I would easily take the climate of London over Miami's.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
Quote:
I'm like shyspider, I'm not a fan of summers. I really do not like the intense sun angle and excessive heat-I'm weird I guess. I would easily take the climate of London over Miami's.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
It may be hotter than normal, but hot summers aren't unusual. The first summer I lived in Cincinnati was 1983 and it was so incredibly hot and humid, plus I no longer had Lake Erie six blocks away to dive into. I must have annoyed a lot of people by whining so much.

Summer of 1988 was hot and dry; I remember making lots of trips to visit farmers in Clermont County to write stories for my newspaper about how their crops were withering.

Quote:
People always usually say the dog days of August, but doesn't it technically start cooling off around mid August (at least in the northern tier)?
Not in Cincinnati; cooling off generally comes around mid-September.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM

279 posts, read 718,004 times
95 and humid as hell out? Perfect! Time for a walk to the bank from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati