Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM

621 posts, read 1,214,234 times

Advertisements

I realize this website is called "City-Data.com", but is it open only to urban enthusiasts, or is there a place here for those who live in the suburbs as well? I'm just asking, because I seem to notice a lot of general aversion to the suburbs on the part of many people here in the forums. I don't understand that kind of hate. I don't bash the city, but it seems the suburbs are bashed all the time. So I'm just wondering if the Cincinnati forum is restricted to discussion about areas within the city limits? If so, is there a place where people from the suburbs can feel like they are contributing something positive to the discussions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM

50,512 posts, read 64,433,868 times
Certainly not. In my experience, a metro area includes discussions on its surrounding suburbs, too.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,478,048 times
It is my experience that they aren't. I've not noticed any suburb being bashed; just different opinions.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,964,445 times
i think the problem is as follows

suburbanites think the city, where people choose to live and raise their family, is a wasteland of crime and poverty and is bad for the children
urbanites think the suburbs, where people choose to live and raise their family, is a soulless abyss sucking out all that was once good and is bad for the children

so there tends to be some nit-picking back and forth. it really isn't necessary.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 PM

269 posts, read 781,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post

suburbanites think the city, where people choose to live and raise their family, is a wasteland of crime and poverty and is bad for the children
urbanites think the suburbs, where people choose to live and raise their family, is a soulless abyss sucking out all that was once good and is bad for the children

so there tends to be some nit-picking back and forth. it really isn't necessary.
^Bingo.

To the OP - I haven't really noticed much "suburb bashing' in the Cincinnati forums, but if you're talking about the site as a whole, I can understand where you are coming from. Our forums are rather tame compared to some of the bashing that goes on in other forums

I could never see myself living in the suburbs for various reasons, but I do not bash the suburbs on this site. If someone wants to live in the suburbs, it's their choice. People place a higher importance (or less of) on certain things which usually dictates where they choose to live.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM

577 posts, read 1,287,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post

I agree. I have lived in the suburbs and now live in the city so I can see the good in both. I too have noticed negative comments about both but I like to keep an open mind. If there is a great restaurant or something to do in either place, I would like to know about it.

For now, I choose to live in the wasteland of crime and poverty and those who choose to live in the soulless abyss - well, that's their personal choice.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM

17,756 posts, read 13,560,319 times
I'm in Fairfield by way of Bond Hill, Roselawn and Pleasant Ridge. I never felt restricted

Old 07-23-2010, 06:47 AM

621 posts, read 1,214,234 times
Okay, thanks for the responses. I just want to make sure I don't step on anyone's toes by recommending the suburbs when people ask about places to live, and I hope not to bore anyone if I mention things to do out there.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM

577 posts, read 1,287,324 times
I think that everyone has a sense of pride in their community so they may get all defensive about their own area. I myself grew up in Ross and as a child it was great being out in the country with all of the land to play on. The family then moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in a city that was between San Francisco and San Jose where every town blends into the next one and if it weren't for the welcome signs, you would have never known you were in a different town - no unique identity whatsoever. I lived in Fairfield for a couple of years and Forest Park for about 12 and I have heard stories but I never had a bit of trouble in Forest Park and had some great neighbors. When I got married, my wife wanted to live around Oakley/Hyde Park and that is where I am now.

The bottom line to my rambling is that there is positives no matter where you go. Ross is wide open spaces and quiet, Fairfield is a nice suburban feel, Forest Park had a sense of community, and Hyde Park is close to the things we enjoy like walking to the square, going to the great parks around the city, and downtown. I have no objection to West Chester, many of my friends live there and we often say that we wish we could find a huge house like the ones in West Chester but in Hyde Park (for the price that you would pay in WC).

Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 AM

580 posts, read 1,379,984 times
Default my question is a little different

My question regarding "restrictions" is a little different. Am I the only west-sider here, and is that why there is seldom discussion on this topic? There is almost never any discussion here about anything west of Vine Street, except for periodic references to Westwood and Price Hill.
Don't misunderstand me--I am well aware of the negative connotations that western Hamilton County has, and truthfully, I agree with many of them! But I do feel a little "lonely" and "left out" when the majority of comments concern either downtown or north, or east of I-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati