Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,512 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Cincy with a toddler and want to live near the Univ. of Cincy, not more than a 20 min commute. We would like to buy a 200k to 250k house in a nice neighborhood with excellent schools. We are generally opposed to sprawl so we don't want to live too far out of town in a McMansion, and we really want a neighborhood that is safe, with lots of families, one that is really walking distance from stores, etc. I've been thinking about Hyde Park and Mariemont, but for max 250k are we going to be living on 'the wrong side of the tracks?' I can't get a feel for that when I look at real estate listings. Should I be looking at other neighborhoods? Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,741 times
for 250k in Mariemont or Hyde Park you can get an average-to-below-average grade house in a nice location. 200- 250k in Pleasant Ridge will buy you a very nice house in one of the best parts of the neighborhood, which has more income and ethnic diversity than Hyde Park or Mariemont but is still safe and has tons of families. But it is about a 5-8 minute longer commute than Hyde Park, about the same if not shorter commute compared with Mariemont. Also consider Columbia-Tusculum, it is very nice and 200-250k will get you a decent but not phenomenal place. Walking to things is questionable and there are more DINKs than families, but the commute would be short.

But if you will be around the University for most of your days, the Clifton gaslights area or Northside would be a shorter commute. Cliftons gaslights area is very nice but expensive (probably more expensive than Hyde Park). Northside isn't as expensive but is an up-and-coming area with some problem pockets. I would be comfortable raising a child there, though.

That is just a scratch of the surface. Don't ignore Westwood or Covedale, or Norwood either. Around Raeburn in Mt Airy you can have a ten minute commute and a bunch of land that backs up to a large forest. Not much is in walking distance though.

Every place I mentioned is in the City of Cincinnati except for Norwood, which is its own city completely surrounded by Cincinnati.

Also, check your budget against our property taxes, which are high compared to many parts of the country. They are about four-fold higher than where I was in Colorado. But they may be low compared to New York or New Jersey or Florida. They tend to be about 2% of the property value annually or with today's rates will add about 35% to your monthly mortgage payment.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,533 times
For your price range I would strongly recommend the area on the south side of Ludlow in Clifton, the streets Terrace and Howell to be specific. The area is overflowing with UC professors and doctors and their families, and it is within convenient walking distance of a grocery store, the University, Burnett Woods, the hospital, and a bunch of shops and restaurants.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,493,826 times
You said "excellent schools".

Cincinnati Pubic Schools are not excellent.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,469 times
I have a house for rent in Mt Healthy school district 4 bd 2 bath finished basement fenced in backyard for 1200 a month if interested let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati