Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times

Advertisements

I mentioned the MontCo fair because it seems to me that it would be similar to the challenges faced by the Hamilton County fair - a mostly urban county with an in-town count fair. I'll report back, like I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
County fairs are a reflection of our society as a whole. Years ago they reflected the farming community specifically the animal competitions aimed at supporting the efforts of the youth through such as 4-H and Future Farmers of America. But also they had baking, canned goods competitions, quilting competions which were a social media for rural people, and even flower growing, roses in particular.

I grew up in an environment where my mother canned food goods. Everything from the tomatoes we grew to the blackberries we would go and pick getting a zillion chiggers along the way, to the apples, peaches, etc. we would just buy cheap at the peak of the season. When I was married and we had kids the wife was also a good canner. I would put in a large garden and we canned a lot of produce. Remember the old Ball Mason Jars which were the standard? But how many people today own a stove-top canner or even a single Mason Jar? It was labor intensive which is now a dirty word.

Go to your local supermarket. The canned vegetable section keeps getting smaller while the frozen food section keeps increasing. Look at all of the frozen micro-waveable vegetable offerings in some sort of plastic pouch with some sort of an indescribable sauce mixed in with it. They look appealing on the surface, but once you get into their sodium laced interior, ugh. This is what has happened to the County Fair, the same thing which is taking over our whole food supply, megafactories and fabricated marketing.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
The Montgomery county fair will send you a newsletter if you like. Apply here:

Montgomery County Fair - Dayton, Ohio

PS: You still have time to enter something if you hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati