Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM

42 posts, read 55,786 times

Advertisements

Hi all I am a 38 year old blind man. I currently live in the state of Illinois near Chicago. Looking at Crime statistics Chicago ranked number 3 after Los Angeles and New York City.

I know every state has its ups and downs. But I need to consider what is better or not.

How is bus service in cities such as Cincinnati and Cleveland? What are the smoking laws there? I am a non smoker. How is the air quality? How would you rate crime? What areas in Ohio get hit more by tornadoes?

Recently we got a funnel cloud storm over us. It was kind of like a tornado. One hundred sixty seven thousand places went out. It is in fact we have had black out several times here. The rate of crime is a big concern for me. Everyone on this block wants to blow up fireworks on certain days of the years. And I am talking M 80s and higher. Kids are walking by with their pants half way down. I don’t like the gansta presence. Is it safer in Ohio at all? According to statistics Ohio did not make it on the list for the highest crime rates.

The Cincinnati Bengals is one of the footballs teams I now root for along with a few others. Would it be better for the blind to live in another part of Ohio than Cincinnati if so where? I can’t see but I try hard. I want to get into some kind of work program to train me that I may work also.

I got not one friend in this state not one. Only Anna who lives with me is my friend. Something has to be better than this. Can anyone help please? I am anti crime, believe in God, believe in kindness, and believe in getting along with neighbors. Your winters I don’t fear. We get bad winters also. Tornadoes I fear. Where are they and what cities get hit from them?

Your help is appreciated. I lost my vision a few years ago from Glaucoma. The public aid the bus system and services are lousy out here. Crime is higher here than where I lived in Calif. Calif debt means no Calif so Ohio my next thought. Where in Ohio should a bind who wants to work have access to buses and places to go live?

Your friend RJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,214 times
Suggest you visit this web site for some leads and perhaps advice: Clovernook Center for the Blind:
- Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Quoting from their home page:

Our mission is to promote independence and foster the highest quality of life for people with visual impairments, including those with additional disabilities.
Clovernook provides comprehensive program services including training and support for independent living, orientation and mobility instruction, vocational training, job placement, counseling, recreation, and youth services.
In addition, our Business Operations provide meaningful employment opportunities for individuals who are blind or visually impaired, while at the same time manufacturing high-quality products for customers across the country.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:50 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,782 times
Hey there, RJ...you sound like a good-hearted guy.

I can't give detailed answers to your questions about transportation, but I'm fairly certain the Metro bus system in Cincinnati is equipped to handle the special needs of those who are visually impaired. If I'm not mistaken, the newer buses are equipped with automated voice services, and there are several routes which run directly by the center that Sarah Perry mentioned.

I'm not certain how Cincinnati compares to the rest of the state with respect to meeting your specific needs, but it's a wonderful city full of kind-hearted people who would probably do their very best to help you out. You could meet many great friends here.

Please don't worry too much about crime. Compared to what you've described regarding Chicago, I think you'd find the Cincinnati area very safe and a pleasant place to live. And something else...the threat of tornadoes around here is really not as big of an issue as you might think. Yes, there are times when we are placed under tornado watches, and occasionally there will even be one spotted in the air. But the thing is, they rarely touch down or do too much damage. More than anything, you will hear about one hitting a rural area, and even then it's predominantly just some overturned vehicles or a roof blown off a building or barn. But honestly...don't worry about them. I understand your concern about them, because I hate them also. I just don't think the fear of them warrants avoiding the area.

Sit tight...I'm sure more people will come along to respond to your message. Thanks so much for expressing your interest in the Cincinnati area. I hope you find what you're looking for. God Bless.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:08 PM

59 posts, read 228,588 times
We've been in Cincy just a few years and we LOVE it. This place gets under your skin quickly and I can't say enough good about it. There are many small towns that are just encapsulated by the city, which makes for lots of small-town centers you can walk or bike to. Most areas have very little crime.

The people are nice and the weather fairly temperate (except last winter hah). Tons of things to do and traffic is never much of an issue. Lots of trees and hills, great museums, a river town, and lots of different kinds of music to be found.

Pro football and baseball, a first class university complete with hospital and great sports teams, great theatre productions. Cost of living is relatively low, too, and you're in a good location to get to many other cities. Geez, I think I should work for the chamber! Anyway, you get the point - Cincinnati is just a fine place to live.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,082 times
there is a blind lady that rides my bus every morning and evening. she works downtown as do i. it appears she is 100% blind and she gets along pretty well. if she doesn't know the driver, she tells him where to stop although i can tell she knows when her stop is coming, although i don't know how she can tell. every time i ride the bus, this lady is an inspiration even though she doesn't even know i am there since i never talk to her. she is very friendly and knows many of the regular riders. the buses have hydraulics to make the bus entrance even with the sidewalk and help disabled or elderly get off and on. also, the bus driver isn't behind glass so it is really easy to talk to them and tell them where you will be getting off so that you don't miss the stop.

you really should call the cincinnati association for the blind. the phone number is 513 221 8558 and the website is Home | Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired

it strikes me that you could find a safe place within six or seven miles of downtown and use the bus service to get where you need to go. i believe the association for the blind has a lot of programs that can help you become involved with the community. i think it would be better to live in the city compared with the suburbs because of the public transportation and the relative concentration of stores and services that you need in daily life.

remember that compared to chicago, cincinnati is very small. it won't take as long to get around and while we have crime, it isn't as serious of a problem as a place like chicago.

regarding tornadoes, we don't have the tornadoes like the rest of the state. i grew up in tornado alley up by toledo and there would be touch downs it seemed like every year. we don't have that problem here because of the hills.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 AM

42 posts, read 55,786 times
Thanks gang for the help. You sound like a nice group of people in Ohio.

First I got to check out the area. I might be checking Cleveland also. Just to see what area I like better.

I’m going to have to save up some money for this. I’m bringing along Anna who helps me to get around. She might move with me. But I am not sure. It still kind of seems she wants to stay here by where her family lives and what is familiar to her. But as for me I’m most likely moving. As I see too many red flags over here one just can’t avoid.

It sounds like Ohio has some good programs to help out I hope. Ok I really don’t like the snow but this seems to be most logical to more of what I am looking of. Was thinking Texas first. Then seen too many months of heat. Houston seemed to be best except to close to the water.

I kind of have a sense of humor. You all remember that show WKRP in Cincinnati. Maybe I can get a job there hahaha. I remember that one guy got the lead part for the sitcom Head of the class. I could see over 30 years. I think also Family Ties with Michael J Fox I thought was also Ohio I think.

I’m kind of a 20th century person living in the 21st century. Can someone tell me what the main super markets are around there? Want to see if we got the same stores or not. Is there a Ballys fitness in the area or 24 hour fitness? I like to keep in fitness. If you don’t know these things I’ll check it out.

Oh yeah if anyone from Ohio wants to write me, that would be great. I’m a Christian and easy to get along with. Agree most with Baptist and Presbyterian Churches I like to talk about all kinds of stuff though. I post at another forum that has both Biblical and Non Biblical topics. If anyone interested I’ll let you know. I and Anna are moderators there. Even though I can’t see the owner trusts my judgment as Anna and I look over the board. We’re a very nice group. Small but very nice.
Super markets in the area are? Restaurants I might know? I know McDonalds hahaha we all know that one. What else do you see? I’m inquisitive. I became more this way after going blind.

Your friend RJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati