Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 AM

350 posts, read 880,266 times

Advertisements

Heard on WLW that the city is adoping a ban on texting while driving. Fine is $100 first offense, $500 per after that. The sound byte from a police representative said it was basically unenforceable since entering phone numbers and programming GPS is still allowed. Good job Cincinnati, guess there's nothing more important going on to waste time on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 12:51 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
many city's & townships have adopted this law --so why are you attacking Cincinnati as wasting their time? Even if it prevents one person from texting while driving, i support it. And you can program your GPS but your vehicle has "to be stopped and out of the flow of traffic while the GPS is being used". And it was Janke who said there wasnt a problem with accidents from people texting....i dont believe that.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Hartwell Girl, you have your head screwed on straight about pretty much any isue. But I'm gonna say we definitely disagree on this one. And I don't even text! HG, I believe the "inattentive driving" statutes are more than adequate to pull people over who are obiously letting texing interfere with the safe operation of a motor vehicle. For those who can safely operate a vehicle and text, pulling 'em over to grab money out of their pocket because the officer looked over to see them texting without any other reason to pull them over. That's just REALLY steep taxation.

And where do we stop? There are SO many distractions for a driver of a motor vehicle. Adjusting the radio, talking to a passenger, pounding the dash when Cunningham's on... There are just too many distraction to just pick on one... And why is that different from using my "driver tech" satellite receiver/GPS in the cab of my truck?

I just think this is SO wrong. Even though Ms. Ghiz looks at it from a mother's point of view...

Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Hard to know what to think on this one. Enacting unenforceable ordinances is kind of stupid on the face of it, but it seems to me that the physical demands of texting make it uniquely distracting. So anything that makes people stop and think "this might be dangerous and not the best idea" could be positive. I don't think anyone has inimpeachable statistics, but even one or two of the highly publicized deaths due to accidents which occurred when a driver was distracted by texting are too many.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
better to pass it quickly than debate it for weeks. colorado had a very strictly enforced no-texting law and many other places do to. if the police don't want to enforce it because it is too hard, that's fine.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Another argument for the law: in the case of a really serious accident involving texting, would it be possible to prove the at-fault driver WAS texting at the time of the crash, making criminal charges possible where they wouldn't be otherwise? Just thinking aloud here...

Old 09-09-2010, 06:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Another argument for the law: in the case of a really serious accident involving texting, would it be possible to prove the at-fault driver WAS texting at the time of the crash, making criminal charges possible where they wouldn't be otherwise? Just thinking aloud here...
Absolutely. The authorities can subpoena cell phone records to see when the last text went out.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Hartwell Girl, you have your head screwed on straight about pretty much any issue.But I'm gonna say we definitely disagree on this one.
Just as long as you don't tell me I'm wrong..... lol

Seriously though, I understand your points. I am not a fan of cell phones and because of this I seem to notice too much insanity on the road because of them.

I was out of town last month with my sister, who is married to her phone. She drove, talked to work, dealt with an office disaster, answered emails and pretty much had me praying to God I would get to see my son again--all in one car ride...UNTIL later when she learned it was illegal in the state/city we were in. After that...NADA...zip, zero NO calls, emails, text....awesome for me.
I also have a young son who is a newer driver---his safety means more to me than anything.
Million dollar question: Is ANY text message worth a persons life? No. But for some reason people think they cannot live without cell phones long enough to get from point A to point B without checking their phone..It really is a shame.
Even IF it just merely deters more people, maybe it will help prevent a tragedy.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I applaud the anti-texting law. Unlike most of my colleagues, I never talk on my cell phone while driving. I have it with me in case of emergency, but do not answer call or make them. I like to drive and enjoy the experience. And people who do talk on the phone are definitely distracted. And, it is not about hands free or looking down. It is all about the attention to the task at hand, driving. Texting is worse than talking but both should be prohibited. We'd all be safer for it.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
my wife gets mad when i'm talking to her and she finds out i'm driving. "hang up on me and focus on the road!" she says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati