Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,816,010 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a good source to obtain online maps of actual school district boundaries? I use several online mapping tools to get an idea about real estate locations and surroundings. It is kind of a hobby with me. But so far, school districts have been frustrating, as I cannot find a good tool to view their boundaries, especially with respect to other viewing tools so I can switch back and forth.

I know that school district boundaries are rarely changed. So development in a given area can occur but the school district remains the same. Where I live, close to me, is property which has been annexed into the City of Mason. But the school district remains Kings. I am not saying this is bad, but maybe confusing.

Anyone have a good online tool for determining the school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,935 times
For Ohio school districts, go to this site and select the county you want to look at. It will show you a color-coded map of all the school districts in that county. To make it easier to identify which is why, the districts are also numbered.

http://www.puc.state.oh.us/pucogis/s...df/SD2007.HTML

Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
For Ohio school districts, go to this site and select the county you want to look at. It will show you a color-coded map of all the school districts in that county. To make it easier to identify which is why, the districts are also numbered.

http://www.puc.state.oh.us/pucogis/s...df/SD2007.HTML

Thank you. I did take a look at it. Certainly better than nothing. But it is still a static map. I find it hard to believe in this technological age we do not have the ability to view a school district map, select an area, and home in on the political subdivision associated with it. Maybe I should direct my attention to Google, as they seem to be the best at every other interactive mapping catagory.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:52 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,935 times
Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean by homing in on the political subdivision associated with it. I'm sorry for sounding so stupid. Do you mean zooming in? Because you can zoom in on those maps I linked to.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:07 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean by homing in on the political subdivision associated with it. I'm sorry for sounding so stupid. Do you mean zooming in? Because you can zoom in on those maps I linked to.

I don't get that either. I thought the map is the cat's a$$. Here is what i see:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Well, the maps are certainly better than nothing. And, of course you can zoom and pan with them. But other than zoom and pan, the information is static. There are no tools to better establish the environment, such as add street detail, display the political subdivision, or even get down to a specific property. In this day and age I feel the capability is ancient.

Perhaps I should redirect my attention to the various county websites and their real estate property lookup functions. I feel most of the local (Hamilton, Warren, Butler, Clermont, etc) functions are quite good. I would like to see them be more consistent in what information is available and how to locate it, but maybe this will come with time.

I may be a little over sensitive to the school districts and how to recognize their jurisdictions, etc., but since they make up by far and away the biggest component of my property taxes I feel I should be able to determine who they are and where they are.

I have a couple of acquaintances who live in a condo development just West of I-71. Yes, it is in the City of Mason. NO, it is not MCSD but rather Kings Mills. They complain continually about the local taxes and the Taj Mahal schools of Mason. I keep telling them, you are not in Mason CSD but Kings. It is the Kings levies you need to recognize. But you know the old adage, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

We have a local school levy on the ballot this November. In my opinion it will be voted down. Am I clairvoyant, no. So what do I base my opinion on? This is an anti-establishment year. Whether Democrat or Republican, people are fed up with what has been going on. So they will vote NO on just about any tax initiative.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 41,735 times
You can contact GeoJet Information Solutions Inc. They can offer you the data about school boundary with GIS software, and the data is vector which you can select from. While the data maybe not free.

Suite 740, 910-7th Ave SW
Calgary AB T2P 3N8
Phone: (403) 262-1104
Fax: (403) 262-7861
miked@e-mapping.com
Http://www.e-mapping.com

Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM

307 posts, read 544,392 times
Try Cagis Online

http://cagisonline.hamilton-co.org/c...ne/index.html#

I'm not as familiar with this version of Cagis as the old one, and while its not the most user friendly there is a lot that can be done with it.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM

75 posts, read 176,124 times
I dunno if you have google Earth. But the new edition has a wonderful new tool that allows you to overlay school districts directly on the map. It also does congressional districts and zip codes. Fun little thing.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
I dunno if you have google Earth. But the new edition has a wonderful new tool that allows you to overlay school districts directly on the map. It also does congressional districts and zip codes. Fun little thing.
I didn't have it, but I now do. Still trying to figure out how to use some of the features, but to an old codger like me it is fantastic. About 90% of the questions asked on this forum could be answered with a lot more detail by just browsing the area with Google Earth. What a great tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati