Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:07 PM

436 posts, read 952,560 times

Advertisements

Izzy's didn't impress, at all.

Does this exist in Cincy?

That's from Slyman's in Cleveland. It's about as good as there is.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:41 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
That looks pretty lean to be bragging on. Izzy's is variable. Some stores look like a stingy version of that. Try Beechmont near five mile. I had hot cb and Swiss there yesterday that looked better than the pictured sandwich. It wasn't as high, but had marbled meat and visible fat, a trait of a real cb lovers sandwich. And where is the latka?

I guess we don't really have a decent cb sandwich here. I choose Chicago for really good cb, at least that's where I have had my best sandwiches. But you can't consider the sandwich without the latka, IMO. And, that bread in the photo looks like Pepperidge Farm Rye. I like a thicker slice with some crust, made in a bakery or a kitchen instead of a factory.

This one looks a little more like it, but no latka and still not enough fat:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-27-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
That looks pretty lean to be bragging on.
Huh? Slyman's is outstanding. Probably the best in Ohio.

Quote:
Izzy's is variable. Some stores look like a stingy version of that.
Izzy's was a White Castle sized corned beef.

Quote:
Try Beechmont near five mile. I had hot cb and Swiss there yesterday that looked better than the pictured sandwich. It wasn't as high,
Height is principally what I'm aiming for. Most places that make a tall corned beef get the meat right.

Quote:
but had marbled meat and visible fat, a trait of a real cb lovers sandwich. And where is the latka?
"Latke" isn't essential to a corned beef experience, by any means. Further, it's not Kosher to have cheese on corned beef, and no Kosher place will serve it to you that way.

Quote:
I guess we don't really have a decent cb sandwich here. I choose Chicago for really good cb, at least that's where I have had my best sandwiches.
Cleveland is great, as is New York. Where do you go in Chicago? Please don't say Manny's.

Quote:
But you can't consider the sandwich without the latka, IMO.
Again with the latke. If the sandwich has the proper amount of meat, you can't eat anything else.

Quote:
And, that bread in the photo looks like Pepperidge Farm Rye. I like a thicker slice with some crust, made in a bakery or a kitchen instead of a factory.
Nah. The bread is fantastic and just right. You want a mouthful of beef and a hint of mustard. Bread should not be the dominant taste.

Have a look at Slyman's.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:32 PM

If that's their bread I wouldn't step inside. Who eats cb on a grocery store loaf? And, that corned beef looks dry and lean, just a lot of it. Not impressed. But I do agree that Cincinnati may not have a good cb sandwich.

And, admittedly, Kosher deli's are said to have pretty good corned beef. I wouldn't know. But Jews have no claim on corned beef. My best cb experiences are from the Polish Catholic neighborhood of Humboldt Park in Chicago but I can't cite deli names. And, I am pretty sure that the Irish claim corned beef as their heritage. And, if corned beef should be served without cheese then 95 % of all corned beef which goes on the Reuben (which is the only cb sandwich most people have ever had) would be lost.

So, I don't know why you would like lean corned beef on grocery store bread, but I'd be open to any good cb sandwich here.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-27-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Nothing in Cincy beats Shapiro's in Indianapolis!!!!

We haven't had good corned beef since Izzy died!!!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

We haven't had good corned beef since Izzy died!!!!!
I think when someone convinced him to open all those locations everything went south. Or, maybe it was his sons that expanded after he died. Whatever it was, it was never the same.

I'm going to Indy next week. I'll try to find that place.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Sorry, but no. Slyman's humiliates Shapiro's. Shapiro's simply trucks down their product from Vienna in Chicago. It's decent, but not tremendous.

Good places cure their own briskets on premises.

If Cincy isn't as good as Shapiro's, your corned beef scene is in trouble.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If that's their bread I wouldn't step inside. Who eats cb on a grocery store loaf? And, that corned beef looks dry and lean, just a lot of it. Not impressed. But I do agree that Cincinnati may not have a good cb sandwich.
Dude, you need a better eye and a better monitor.

Quote:
And, admittedly, Kosher deli's are said to have pretty good corned beef.
What? It's their invention. That's like saying "Italians make pretty good manicotti."

[/quote]I wouldn't know. But Jews have no claim on corned beef. My best cb experiences are from the Polish Catholic neighborhood of Humboldt Park in Chicago but I can't cite deli names. [/quote]

You've been away a very long time. That hasn't been a functioning Polish-Catholic neighborhood since the late 50's. I know a good many Polish-Catholic places up and down Milwaukee, and I can't recall the Polish having mush of anything, at all, to do with corned beef. Polish Jews, maybe.

Quote:
And, I am pretty sure that the Irish claim corned beef as their heritage.
No, they don't. It's American-Irish. They don't know it in Ireland.

Quote:
And, if corned beef should be served without cheese then 95 % of all corned beef which goes on the Reuben (which is the only cb sandwich most people have ever had) would be lost.
What? Most corned beef is definitely not served on a reuben. You are so severely off on this one.

Quote:
So, I don't know why you would like lean corned beef on grocery store bread, but I'd be open to any good cb sandwich here.
Like I said, I don't think you're a top judge of corned beef. I'm really surprised that someone who claims to know something about corned beef hasn't visited Slyman's. It's even in your state. Odd...

Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Dude, you put up a photo of dry, lean corned beef on the equivalent of Wonder Bread in rye. I looked at their web site and the reviews. They are Izzy's Cleveland (only Izzy's uses better looking bread). I don't need to be schooled by you on anything. I also looked at Shapiro's in Indy and they have real bread and the cb looked pretty good. Maybe I bring back a cell phone photo to show you what a real cb sandwich looks like.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-27-2010 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Not to defame Izzy's bread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
I agree. Wilson1010 should quit while he/she's way behind. Corned beef as we know it is as American as baseball. And, the Reuben is most certainly not even close to being the major preparatory choice of the average deli.

The best CB in Cleveland is either Slymans, Mr. Briskett, or Goodman's (in that order). All are usually fantastic and each of them serve it the classic way: piled high on rye.

Edit: C'mon, the rye is baked special for them....Wonder Bread, puh-leez. It's a great, regular sliced chewy rye bread. If you want more bread, they will happily oblige. All you have to do is google Slyman's. There isn't a bad review to be found. The general complaint is that they're too popular.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 06-27-2010 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati