Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 42,088 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I recently moved into the Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout area and I'm still getting used to it. I love the area but I've got a few questions.

- My apt is lacking quite a bit of decoration so what are some good places to get stuff like pictures or paintings? I've checked out Garden Ridge and Hobby Lobby, but I'm wondering if there are any smaller places that someone might know about. I'm not that artsy so the more basic stuff would probably be best.

- I moved up here from down south so are there any restaurants that have good southern food? Hopefully somewhat near my area, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 04:02 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Welcome to Hyde Park.

I think that you might want to try Pier One in Rookwood, Michaels, in Hyde Park Plaza. These places have lots of art and decor.

Southern food is gonna be a little harder. A good fried chicken dinner can be had on Sat at the Echo. My son likes the Hitching Post on Kellog Ave for fried stuff, breakfasts, and homemade deserts.

Really great southern food can be found at the Greyhound Grill in Ft. Mitchell. They have another place in Burlington. Tousey House (sp?).

Old 11-01-2010, 05:47 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
For southern food - check out Allyn's in columbia tusculum. It is on the corner of columbia parkway and hoge. Just head down delta towards the river and take a left on the parkway and then turn left again and it's right there. It is not soul food, more like Creole (so maybe not what you are looking for). For soul food, you should probably check out Ollie's trolly in the West End. It doesn't look like much but they have soul food and I have never been disappointed. This is basically a trolly in a parking lot in a not-so-great part of town. Not some place to take a date unless it is just some afternoon fun. That's on central and liberty. I'm guessing there must be some good southern food on the other side of the river, though i don't know where and we have very few northern Kentuckians on the forum.

The Home Emporium on ridge ave can be a good place for home decor. It isn't a decor place per se, more like a home depot but with a strong bend towards home furnishings. You can also check out the duck creek antique mall for some more unique items. It is on madison road. There is another antique place near the wal-mart although i forget the name.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Isn't Hugo in Oakley upscale Southern cuisine? I've never been there, but I've read reviews.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Isn't Hugo in Oakley upscale Southern cuisine? I've never been there, but I've read reviews.
You are totally right about Hugo. I mistakenly thought it had closed but drove by this morning and it looks open although it never was open on Mondays.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
I was reading a review on Hugo in Oakley which commented about sophisticated Southern cuisine. Isn't that an oxymoron in itself? When I see those two words - sophisticated and cuisine at the same time plus upscale, my reaction is lots of sauces to cover things up, small portions, and expensive.

My idea of Southern food is what I used to get in neighborhood places around New Orleans, fried catfish and potatoe wedges wrapped in wax paper and served English style like fish & chips with a couple of cold beers. Also, shrimp creole and cajun blackened fish. For sophistication, the crab-stuffed flounder I used to get in Maryland along the Chesapeake Bay topped the list.

So to the OP who is asking, just what variety of Southern food are you looking for?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Just for the record, The Science Hill Inn Dining Room in Shelbyville Ky is the ultimate elegant Southern dining experience. Great daytrip. Cruise Wakefield Scarce, internationally recognized antique store, and dine at the restaurant.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:31 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
I have a question. Is Country Cured Ham considered Southern food? To me it is, since Virginia is the first state I think of associated with it, and then others who are in the Southern region. To me, Country Cured Ham is salt cured. It may be smoked also, but the basic curing is salt. I do like the taste, but a little goes a long way. Too much, and it overwhelms you.

One of my favorite spur of the moment meals is a ham steak fried in a skillet just until it starts to brown on the sides and before it dries out. To this I add a pot of home-made macaroni & cheese, plenty of melted mild cheddar involved. If I don't happen to have packaged mild cheddar on hand, a loaf of Velveeta will do just fine. Now this is a dish I certainly do not want Country Cured Ham in. The salt content makes it unedible.

As I said, Country Cured Ham to me is enjoyable to a degree. But it has to be tempered. If you are fixing some slices with fried eggs - fine, but I will opt for Canadian Bacon any day.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 AM

73 posts, read 158,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS View Post
Hello all. I recently moved into the Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout area and I'm still getting used to it. I love the area but I've got a few questions.

- My apt is lacking quite a bit of decoration so what are some good places to get stuff like pictures or paintings? I've checked out Garden Ridge and Hobby Lobby, but I'm wondering if there are any smaller places that someone might know about. I'm not that artsy so the more basic stuff would probably be best.

- I moved up here from down south so are there any restaurants that have good southern food? Hopefully somewhat near my area, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
"City BBQ" restaurants - there's one on the west side, and I think on the east side too, have a pretty good version of various southern BBQ styles (their eastern NC style vinegar-based is good, as well as the usual texas/fla red BBQ sauce), and the sides are "southern/americana".

Old 11-01-2010, 11:15 AM

73 posts, read 158,148 times
Also "Mayberry" at 915 Vine downtown....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati