Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,964,829 times

Advertisements

Rowe Woods isn't too far, if I remember right it's on Tealtown Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 PM

31 posts, read 98,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you have no idea what Serpent Mound is, can I assume you are either new to the area or underexposed.

We are new to the area!!

We moved to Loveland at the end of April.

Thanks!
Corie

Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,828,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corie View Post
We are new to the area!!

We moved to Loveland at the end of April.

Thanks!
Corie
That is fine, just follow the advice of the responders and I am sure you will find plenty to do. Consider a day trip on a chartered bus to the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton. At the risk of being hammered for my male chauvinism, I must say even for girls this is just about a must for anyone in the area.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 AM

17,628 posts, read 13,415,550 times
Metamora, Indiana is a great place. Just make sure that the Grain Mill is running (Usually , every weekend)

Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,828,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Metamora, Indiana is a great place. Just make sure that the Grain Mill is running (Usually , every weekend)
Metamora is a good recommendation, but also a good drive. It can be done in a day, but you have to start early.

Nashville Indiana, an artist colony, is also a good place, but I would consider it more than a day trip, as it is west of I-65. Just south of Nashville is Brown Co. State Park which has a great lodge for overnight stays. This could be a great overnight trip.

But don't forget Ohio. From your location in Loveland, East Fork, Stonelick Lake, Cowan Lake, and Ceasar Creek State Parks are all easily accessible, though I would consider them more of a mid-summer outing with picnic, hiking, and possibly swimming potential. For a potential overnight, consider Hocking Hills State Park in eastern Ohio. It has several closeby attractions and was a favorite when I was young.

I appreciate what you are considering. Many years ago, when my oldest son was of cub scout age, he wanted to join a pack with many of his school friends. It happened to be sponsored by a church, the denomination of which is unimportant, but the pack was in disarray. Somehow I got myself appointed pack committee chairman. We were in need of a scoutmaster. I convinced the pastor of another small local church, whose son also wanted to be a member of this pack to volunteer to be scoutmaster. He was reluctant, but my convincing appeal was we would buy him the entire scoutmaster uniform at no cost to him.

My predecessors had organized two local fund raising venues.

One was a local telephone book, double-crossed indexed by Street Address or Name, including local businesses. The original organization was a tremendous job, but keeping it up not so bad. The scouts would go out an sell subscriptions to the next revision each year.

The second was a spring flower sale. The scouts would go around and take orders for everything from spring annuals in flats or partial flats, to
geraniums or other specialty flowers we also had sources for. Again, others prior to me had set this up.

The problem I had was these two fund raisers generated more income than we needed. Being a non-profit, I had to hide the true amounts from the national Cub Scout organization. Also, as a non-profit you cannot carry funds forward year-to-year. So at times I would find we simply had to burn up some of the money.

One year I had the pack committee agree we needed to do something for the church who had sponsored us for so many years. So I went to the Pastor and requested what project he would like to see completed. He replied we have some substantial land out back I would like to see transformed into a youth athletic complex - basketball, volley ball, and tennis, but we do not have the money. I replied just wait. I contacted one of my high school buddies who ran a successful construction company and happened to be a church member, and said give me the good price. I will never forget how the pastor broke down when we informed him his dream would be fulfilled. Today, this would probably be considered not only Politically Incorrect, but just about every other incorrect you can name. Sorry, but if someone sticks by you for 30+ years at their expense, and you find yourself in a position to help, in my estimation this is what you should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati