Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Westside.....
Quickly Getting Better 4 21.05%
Slowly Getting Better 10 52.63%
Slowly Getting Worse 5 26.32%
Rapidly Getting Worse 6 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,950,747 times

Advertisements

wilson - should we look at the giant flop of charter schools as an example of how effective non-government schools are? in cincinnati we have one successful charter school, the rest are worse than the public schools. and we have many successful public schools here, more than most cities. the silver bullet approach of vouchers is a bad idea. if anyone ever claims to have "THE SOLUTION" they never really do. and besides, we have vouchers already.

regarding architecture, the west side architecture isn't as spiffy as that on the east, but it is just as good. and without any promoters, fewer structures get registered, so stats will of course show fewer significantly contributing properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,877,763 times
Why Does the Westside Get Picked on so Much?

I do have a question, I'm not intentionally trying to pick on anyone, but, this question has bugged me for some time------ Now, exactly which side of town did the river catch fire on?

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 11-09-2010 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

I do have a question, I'm not intentionally trying to pick on anyone, but, this question has bugged me for some time------ Now, exactly which side of town did the river catch fire on?
You got the wrong river - that was the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland which caught on fire in 1952 and 1969, plus 8 other times previously.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-09-2010 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,505,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
wilson - should we look at the giant flop of charter schools as an example of how effective non-government schools are? in cincinnati we have one successful charter school, the rest are worse than the public schools. and we have many successful public schools here, more than most cities. the silver bullet approach of vouchers is a bad idea. if anyone ever claims to have "THE SOLUTION" they never really do. and besides, we have vouchers already.

regarding architecture, the west side architecture isn't as spiffy as that on the east, but it is just as good. and without any promoters, fewer structures get registered, so stats will of course show fewer significantly contributing properties.
the Ohio voucher program is a poor substitute for what is really needed - educational choice. But that battle will never be won because of the straglehold the unions have on CPS. Too bad.

As for the architecture, "spiffy" is not a word I would use to explain this situation.

The east side developed naturally for 100 years along trade routes which were first trails then roads. Cincinnati was a final destination for goods and travelers from the east. The west side was populated from the growth of the City. First as affordable housing creeping up the hills to the west then "summer homes" away from the city. That is why there is far more historical significance to the east side than the west side.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,950,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

This is funny, but mostly because your user name is Dusty Rhodes.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM

350 posts, read 881,544 times
I tried not to get sucked in, but... can't..... resist!

Both sides have good bad but take the whole side, east include kennedy heights, pleasant ridge, madisonville, etc. West side own up to cumminsville, millvale, mt. airy...

It's a wash.

Funny when I say I live in Westwood, well over half of the time, when the other person hears this, something like, "OOooooh, I love those great old houses!!"

Frankly, I'm starting to think more and more the best side is Northside. (Central)

Too bad Dusty Rhodes isn't The Auditor, I'd tell him how much of a hypocritical ******* he is for "double dipping", lol.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
First as affordable housing creeping up the hills to the west then "summer homes" away from the city. That is why there is far more historical significance to the east side than the west side.
I'm not so sure there is. What can possibly back up that assertion?

You had a good point about the glare of the sun in a westsider's eyes to and from work though!

Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,304,376 times
To quote my HS track coach (a westsider)

"The difference between the eastside and the westside is that eastside women have real jewelry but fake orgasms."

Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,986,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
To quote my HS track coach (a westsider)

"The difference between the eastside and the westside is that eastside women have real jewelry but fake orgasms."
Or, in the immortal words of Marge Schott: "The bills are on the east side, the money's on the west side." Laugh all you want, but the woman knew a thing or two about selling cars.

Seriously, I've encountered some really really trashy people in just about every neighborhood in Cincinnati I've been in (as well as some really classy people, too, of course). East side trash has a different flavor, but it's still trash.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Lol, excellent! If there were signatures, that'd be mine right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati