Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 AM

279 posts, read 718,004 times

Advertisements

Yep, we seemed to be blessed with lots of good Thai places here, esp in the Hyde Park and Oakley area. As t45209 said, there's 5 within walking distance near Wasson Road. Sweet! My favorite place might be Green Papaya...awesome atmosphere, great food, great sushi, etc. Lemongrass holds a place dear in my heart since I've been going for years, but GP is a bit better. Can't go wrong with any of the places if you ask me though.

Also, it seems we have a lot of good Indian here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Sushi is probably in Cincy to stay, since (like most things) it first became trendy on the coasts and in big cities before catching on in the "flyover states." In Boston I've seen the quantity of Asian restaurants go from generous to glut-level. It amuses me to see Thai places put emphasis on sushi, since it's a Japanese invention. But liberties are taken in the States, and what difference does it make whether food's served in a culturally correct context anyway? Chances are the waitresses are all Korean, Laotian, etc - anything but Japanese, just about - as it is.
The main question I have, is - just why IS sushi so popular? You're sometimes paying 6 dollars or more for a food item that you can often pop in your mouth and consume in a matter of seconds. And the fillings can be delicacies like sea urchin roe - mmmmmmm. During my three years in Japan I had plenty of opportunities to try all kinds of sushi. Outside of norimaki, inarizushi, and "Philadelphia-maki" there aren't any types that I seek out. Not that "exotic" is a turn-off - if a Japanese restaurant has eel on the menu, that's what I'm having.
The Ludlow Ave restaurant feud is funny, all right. Ambar's owner definitely has the upper hand in that one, between having the all-important street frontage and drawing much larger dinner crowds. (Ask for the mango chutney if you go - some friends of mine pay extra to pick up an extra supply for carry-out!) For Indian cuisine "with a twist" I swear by Amma's Kitchen on Reading Rd, a destination whenever I'm in town and have a mealtime unaccounted for. The "twist" is that the menu is entirely vegetarian; they even offer a vegan lunch buffet on Wednesdays. What they can do with lowly veggies like cauliflower and green peas has to be experienced to believe. It's a social hub for South Asians - always a good sign - and is even "under rabbinical supervision" although Roselawn is now home to only a small fraction of Cincinnati's Jewish population.
As for sushi being so huge in da Nati? Good question. Maybe when it's 3:15 AM and your only choices are Camp Washington Chili, Pleasant Ridge Chili, and Dancing Wasabi - and you can't stand chili...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
As for sushi being so huge in da Nati? Good question. Maybe when it's 3:15 AM and your only choices are Camp Washington Chili, Pleasant Ridge Chili, and Dancing Wasabi - and you can't stand chili...
Hmm, gives me an idea - how about a goetta roll or a 3-way roll?

The feud on Ludlow cracks me up - I love the parking lot patrols at the two!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati