Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:31 AM

14 posts, read 24,206 times

Advertisements

I am in the running for a job that would mean a relocation for us to Cincinnati. I am married with two children (boys, 7 & 5). We will most likely just rent an apartment or home for a year or two before settling somewhere more permanently.

Most important to us would be safety and good public schools. We are open to even the northern KY area. We'd be looking for a 3 bedroom with rent $1000-1200 per month. Got any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 11:52 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,526,755 times
Mariemont townhomes. A little dated but the best buy a person with a concern for schools can make:

Mariemont Townhomes Apartments Cincinnati, OH - Apartments for Rent in Cincinnati Ohio

Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 AM

74 posts, read 189,268 times
We are moving from NY in February. We are renting an apt while we look for a house. We looked at a few places recently and we liked this one, Ivy Hills, Ivy Hills Place Apartments Cincinnati, OH - Apartments for Rent in Cincinnati Ohio

We are getting a 3bdrm w/den and garage for 1300 something. Convenient to 275. The elementary looked good from my research.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:20 AM

74 posts, read 189,268 times
Wow, the Mariemont townhomes look great. That would be nice if we were staying for a while. We were just in Mariemont a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely! I was searching for apts with the W/D in unit, not just hook-ups. I don't want to buy appliances for six months. I'd rather buy the new W/D when we get our new home.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:45 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,526,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
Wow, the Mariemont townhomes look great. That would be nice if we were staying for a while. We were just in Mariemont a couple of weeks ago and it was lovely! I was searching for apts with the W/D in unit, not just hook-ups. I don't want to buy appliances for six months. I'd rather buy the new W/D when we get our new home.
Well, the going rate for a used w/d combination is $300 that can be talked down from there. So, if you contact the rental agent, he can make the offer to the tenants moving out to leave the W/D for $300 or so.

BTW, there are some great W/D deals this month at the appliance stores. One of my sons got a real nice new Maytag W/D for $249 each installed and delivered. I guess its because of Xmas being a slow time for the white machines in the basement.

Back to Mariemont Townhomes. That place is really charming and I could live there myself even though I am 30 years past apartment living. You can walk everywhere. They have grocery, car repair, theater, restaurants, library, tennis, swim club, bus lines, everything really.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,990,064 times
Out of curiousity, I looked at the posted links to both apartment complexes. Just a head's up to read the fine print about their listings of schools:

"NOTE: The schools listed above are designated from the center of the zip code and are just a sampling of the schools in this area. To find a particular school district, and how it relates to a specific apartment, please contact the specific apartment directly."

For example, John Parker Elementary (in academic emergency for perpetuity?) in Madisonville I would hope would not be the actual elementary school for an apartment right in Mariemont. Gack.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:08 PM

I know next to nothing about apartments, but if you could give us any idea what part of the metro area you'll be working in, several of us would be able to comment on safety and schools. Typically, decent schools equals a reasonably safe area. Some of the higher-regarded public school districts, in addition to Mariemont, would be Wyoming and Sycamore in Ohio, and Beechwood in Kentucky.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks Sarah. I would be working in downtown Cincy.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Well, Sycamore is in a northeastern suburb, which would give you one of the worst commutes in the area (unless you settled even farther north). Mariemont as already discussed is reasonably convenient to downtown. Wyoming, not terrible, not terribly convenient. Beechwood, which by the way is a small district in the suburb of Ft. Mitchell, is probably the quickest commute. It's a lovely, older, established area but I know nothing about the apartment situation in that area, though.

By the way, we sometimes get people here who hear the word Kentucky and think of every tired Appalachian stereotype that ever graced an episode of Dukes of Hazard. The three Kentucky counties contiguous to Cincinnati are basically undistinguishable from Ohio, except the property taxes are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati