Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,003 times

Advertisements

Hi
I will be moving to Cincinnati in a month or two and looking for a place where i can find an easy public transportation to and from downtown (3rd Street). I wont be having a car initially, thus I am looking for areas with easy public transportation access. Possibly a 1 bhk apartment in a safe community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 AM

329 posts, read 700,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonibora View Post
Hi
I will be moving to Cincinnati in a month or two and looking for a place where i can find an easy public transportation to and from downtown (3rd Street). I wont be having a car initially, thus I am looking for areas with easy public transportation access. Possibly a 1 bhk apartment in a safe community
I have the perfect place for you. Look not to the urban core of the city for your living area, if it's an apartment you need in a safe area then I have the answer.

Google Maps

Look at that link, not sure if it will be hyper linked but click, drag, copy, paste it into the address bar. This street view image from Google Maps seems to be about 2 or 3 months old when Rybolt Rd was renovated. Now wait, everyone stereotypes the Westside as trashy and ghetto, but the Westhill Apartments, if you click the image and move around and look to the left, are located right in the center of one of the fastest growing Westside suburbs, Dent. This area is safe, has a suburban setting although it is only located about 15 minutes from the I-75/I-74 interchange, has a bus line that stops somewhere along Harrison Pike, not sure where though that leaves in the morning, has convenient amenities located close by, very convenient interstate access, Meijer, Kohls, popular food chains within literally walking range from the apartments, and a hotel across the street from the complex, a very good Holiday Inn Express at that if you ever have visitors from out of town.

Not sure the cost of these, but they are definitely worth a look and the area was recently landscaped and renovated. In general, the area these apartments are in, Green Township, is in one of the nicest parts of the Westside.

Pros:
-Easy Interstate Access
-Safe
-Convenient Area (Wendy's, Skyline, ETC.) all within 5 minutes
-Low traffic noise
-Suburban atmosphere (safe)
-Mass transit nearby (74X (Harrison Express))

Cons:
-Westside (If you are an ignorant stereotype who thinks everything on the Westside is ghetto since people say it is that are from Mason and you just base opinions of of their idiotic and ignorant remarks).
-I - 74 Traffic in the morning rush hour can back up all the way to The City of Harrison!
-Construction near this location is common, expect traffic.

Check it out, give the West a chance!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:00 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Related to the post above, there's a bus (I believe an express) that runs between downtown and the Sam's Club parking lot on North Bend in Monfort Heights. There are some apartments right in that area as well as some fast food, a little strip shopping center, and a Kroger. Not positive how it would work with no car at all, but if you're a healthy and determined walker you could probably do it.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Welcome to the area, Ionibora! However, more information about yourself would be helpful, i.e., your age, gender, interests, and how much you plan to spend on an apartment, etc. Also, what would you consider to be a reasonable-to-maximum time you would want to spend in a commute to downtown? There are major Queen City Metro routes that run not only express-buses, but regular buses throughout the day/night and on the weekends. Although the Rybolt Rd. recommendation is certainly one to check out, it is also pretty far out and not densely populated -- and bus service on the weekends may be limited. In general, the most densely populated parts of Cincinnati are its eastern and northeastern suburbs. Depending upon your own financial and personal needs, do check out these areas. Many of them are near downtown and have great bus service.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,003 times
Hi,
Thank You all for the advice and info. I am in my late 20s , married and my husband is working in louisville,ky. I got a job offer from cincy and will be moving to this place in a month . Therfore I am only looking for a 1 bedroom house or a studio apartment. As I hve already mentioned I will not be hving a car for sometime I will be totally dependent on public transport. I am willing to commute for 30-45 mins one way per day.
I heard and read that Hyde Park , Mt. Adams and Mt. Lookout are some good and safe places to lookout for near downtown. what are your takes on this. Pease let me know.

Thanks

lonibora

Old 12-29-2010, 11:43 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
If you are going to be married but living alone for job reasons, I would be looking for the most economical situation I could find. I would be looking at Pleasant Ridge & Kennedy Heights. Both should be within reasonable time-frame Metro bus transport to downtown. And the density is sufficient to not onlly have convenient rides at your max work shifts, but also at other times.

I wish you well in your endeavors, and hope it will be a short time when you and the hubby can be living in at least the same city.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:13 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Call the leasing department of the Shillito and ask for Dane'.

Based on your needs, desires, and situation - move Downtown, Mt. Adams or Prospect Hill. You'll love it and you'll have a million bus routes and soon a streetcar. These other mentioned areas are fine by work transportation, but for everything else it'll be less of a problem with commuting if you're closer to the core.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:34 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
there are a variety of express buses that make an 8-5 ish workday very easy on the bus. a bigger concern IMO is getting your groceries and sundries back to your place without a car or a taxi to go to the store. this narrows your options down substantially.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
You might also want to look "across the river" in northern Kentucky. The regional transit system there has routes which end at the Dixie Terminal in downtown Cincinnati, and once you get away from the gentrifying riverfront areas the rent rates are quite economical. Some parts of Covington and Newport are "not the best," but many sections are nice. There are also plenty of rental properties in nearby Dayton, Ludlow, Bellevue, Fort Thomas, Alexandria, etc etc.
Pleasant and inexpensive sections in/near Cincinnati which are all too often overlooked include Deer Park, St Bernard, Cheviot, and Hartwell/Valleydale. Each are well-established communities with low housing density, meaning that most of the available apartments will be in duplex houses or in 4-8-unit "brick box" buildings. All are home to at least one supermarket as well as some fast-food restaurants and other shops, and each are served by Queen City Metro.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:04 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
there are a variety of express buses that make an 8-5 ish workday very easy on the bus. a bigger concern IMO is getting your groceries and sundries back to your place without a car or a taxi to go to the store. this narrows your options down substantially.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: