Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post

if you are working near the river, it makes sense to just live down there too. you can get a nice studio or one bedroom right downtown for $1100 / month or less.
Whoa. Are you serious? For a studio? Eeesh, I may have to reconsider a move to downtown Cincinnati. Wasn't wanting to spend that much for a studio. Please tell me that's on the high side in a new building or highly desirable location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Whoa. Are you serious? For a studio? Eeesh, I may have to reconsider a move to downtown Cincinnati. Wasn't wanting to spend that much for a studio. Please tell me that's on the high side in a new building or highly desirable location.
I believe what you are being told is living downtown is a relatively new experience for anywhere you would actually want to be. While the number of rentals are definiely on the rise, the cost of renovation, gentrification, whatever they call it, etc. has a certain price tag. So you may want to consider something ourside of the immediate downtown, and even across the river in NKY. Look at that map again, NKY winds around the entire area.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I believe what you are being told is living downtown is a relatively new experience for anywhere you would actually want to be. While the number of rentals are definiely on the rise, the cost of renovation, gentrification, whatever they call it, etc. has a certain price tag. So you may want to consider something ourside of the immediate downtown, and even across the river in NKY. Look at that map again, NKY winds around the entire area.
I think you might be confusing me with the person who started this thread. I haven't made a firm decision to move to downtown Cincinnati. It was simply a place on my list of considerations for cities I'm thinking about moving to. But I had no idea a studio would run for $1100 there. I would expect to find that kind of rent in a larger city such as D.C, New York, Chicago, San Francisco or Los Angeles. Please don't get me wrong - in no way am I trying to say anything negative about Cincinnati. It just kinda surprises me, that's all. I'd hoped to be able to live in an urban core, but I can't afford a studio that costs that much.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,959 times
^ I suspect you're a younger person. That price range is lower than D.C., SanFran, and much lower than Chicago and even laughable in NYC.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:58 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
1100 for a studio in manhattan. that would be awesome. more like x3 that though. even in brooklyn, 750 to 850 sq ft pushes $2000.

i don't know the prices exactly, but when i was looking downtown, 1100 was the range for a nice 1BR in a good complex right downtown. i didn't actually look at any studios and they aren't that common in any case. the target market was mostly downtown white collar folks who could fairly easily afford that much.

but, you can rent a studio around downtown for 400 or 500; it just depends on what you want in terms of location and amenities. hell, the first studio i had in Cincinnati was $325 / month.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,959 times
A couple of friends of mine are paying $8,000 a month for a 3 bedroom in Manhattan.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
A couple of friends of mine are paying $8,000 a month for a 3 bedroom in Manhattan.
That's nice to know, and I am glad there are idiots capable of paying such a price. In my younger days I had some job offers in NYC and never gave them 5 minutes consideration.

One of my pet peeves is the often quoted COL factor for coastal cities like NYC, LA, etc. and therefore higher salaries. Explain to me why this is considered normal? Other than the robbers on Wall Street who can justify their enormous salaries due to fleecing the rest of the populace, just what talents do these people possess compared to their counterparts elsewhere in the country.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
^ I suspect you're a younger person. That price range is lower than D.C., SanFran, and much lower than Chicago and even laughable in NYC.
No, not a younger person. Just a surprised one, that's all. I realize that price range is lower than the major cities I mentioned. What I meant was that I would not be surprised to find that kind of price for a studio in one of the major cities I listed, that's all. It's the kind of number I would expect to find there, but yeah I know that's low even for those places. I was simply expressing my surprise at hearing it was that high in Cincinnati. I'd heard it was less expensive to live in Cincinnati - a place where you could get a 1BR for under $800 a month. So to hear a studio goes for $1100 just threw me a bit.

Quote:
1100 for a studio in manhattan. that would be awesome. more like x3 that though. even in brooklyn, 750 to 850 sq ft pushes $2000.
Oh no doubt. Even in Chelsea or GV the price of a 300sf studio can run up to $2000.

Quote:
i don't know the prices exactly, but when i was looking downtown, 1100 was the range for a nice 1BR in a good complex right downtown. i didn't actually look at any studios and they aren't that common in any case. the target market was mostly downtown white collar folks who could fairly easily afford that much.

but, you can rent a studio around downtown for 400 or 500; it just depends on what you want in terms of location and amenities. hell, the first studio i had in Cincinnati was $325 / month.
I remember my first ever efficiency was $165 a month!

I looked online at a place called Lytle Tower. They had studios starting at a little over $500 a month. How's the neighborhood there?

Quote:
That doesn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, this isn't my thread. I didn't mean to cause a hiccup in the discussion.

P.S. Just to clarify what I'd be looking for, it doesn't have to be in a new building or anything like that. In fact, I kinda like older buildings and small apartments. How large is that studio that goes for $1100? It may be more than what I'm actually wanting, to be truthful.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
insightofitall - it's cool, these threads go where they go and i think we are still on topic.

Lytle place is a nice complex with good amenities. I toured there when I first moved back. Mostly yuppies and I believe some of the pro athletes live there (at least they used to). It is right downtown, yet very isolated from downtown because of surrounding highways and the river (it is right on the river). This is good or bad, depending on your perspective and what you are looking for.

You'll need to buy a parking place (no street parking really) and no utilities are included, so include all that stuff when figuring your housing costs.

If I was looking downtown, I'd look either around 4th street west of vine or in the gateway quarter area of OTR. OTR is still transitional though, but all your neighbors would be young students, hipster-types (if we have such a thing), professionals, or retirees. There is a beautiful building on 8th and Elm called the Waldo. It was built circa 1870 and had the first elevator in cincinnati. I haven't been inside but I heard they did a nice job with the renovation.

FWIW, there isnt "a" $1100 studio. I was just speculating what a nice new studio at the banks or around fountain square probably rents for. I would assume it would be 600-700 SF.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Thanks, progmac. No, I really don't need something that large. In fact, I don't want something that large. (I'm probably a weirdo because I like tiny living spaces.) If I could find a studio under $700-$750 a month, that would be fine. Something small. I wouldn't need to worry about a parking space because I would be getting rid of my car.

Oh...I was looking online at the building on 4th Street called Lytle Tower...not Lytle Place. Is that part of 4th Street safe for walking and biking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati