Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
A tall, dark prophet now walks amongst us. You must not question, my children -- you listen and obey...
Do you mean me?

I am tall but rather cream-colored apart from the hair....

(Never really thought about a career as a prophet.)

Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes, I agree Please?. Our Cincinnati colloguialism for Come Again?, What You Talking About?, Huh? certainly applies here.

When I first read it I thought I must be completely out of tune with the message, but couldn't guess what in tune would be.
Uh.... I know what "Please?" means -- I say it.

As for being out of tune, um... you are the tune. The problem is, y'all don't see yourselves as folks from "the outside world" see you.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Uh.... I know what "Please?" means -- I say it.

As for being out of tune, um... you are the tune. The problem is, y'all don't see yourselves as folks from "the outside world" see you.
I don't particularly want to debate you, though that is my nature. So if you want to bring it on bring it. But what does the outside world mean? Is it some strange and dark neverworld us poor everyday folks don't connect with?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The scary thing is ... I kinda get what OP is talking about. S/he just left us with a really crappy example.
Darlin',

The current more profound example (there are a number of them) is too complex to explain; but, the end result is, my hands presently have an unavoidable green cast; they look kind of as if dusted with mold. It'll take a couple of days before it wears off.

I have an apartment in a big apartment building that is about 5%-10% displaced Ohioans. There's a Kentucky native down the hall that once in a while gets me an extra jar of coffee. So help me, the first time she did it, I had to take an empty coffee jar down to her as she was so concerned about making sure to get the right thing. And, I'm sure she's heard of Folgers instant coffee.

Now can you tell me why someone going to get a loaf of bread and told to get "something different" at a cost of about $1.50 like "wheat" or maybe rye would come back with a half of a loaf of rye at $1.99 if it wasn't for the ham?

Not being there, I did not know what the store had nor how it was arranged at that moment, except I knew Kroger has a vast assortment of bread at a vast assortment of prices. The $1.50 and the "wheat" were written down (the rye was not). The "something different" was verbal and the way the explanation was started. "Something different" might be potato bread or no different than buttermilk or an eggy something or the other or a lot of things.

I know exactly what it is -- if I'm in Kentucky, I'm not supposed to be very sophisticated whereas the truth of the matter is the Cincinnati sophistcate probably never developed a taste for potato bread or corn bread.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Pretty please?

(OK, forgive me, now I"m just playing to the masses!)

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That reminds me of an old joke ...

Q. How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A. Blue!
I thought Red???

Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I don't particularly want to debate you, though that is my nature. So if you want to bring it on bring it. But what does the outside world mean? Is it some strange and dark neverworld us poor everyday folks don't connect with?

What does "the outside world" mean?

First, it would help to know whether you claim Mason and say Cincinnati for convenience (because no one very far away knows of Mason) or whether you claim Cincinnati and subconciously meditate on how you can get out of Mason and to where.

If you claim Mason, you're probably part of the outside world although maybe not 100% outside.

If you claim Cincinnati, it's everything outside of the corporation limit plus maybe a half block beyond in some places.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 AM

118 posts, read 245,957 times
Question is do you see yourself as the outside world sees? and do you even know how subjective "the outside world" is? Or is the outside world your own? We could see each any number of ways depending on background and personal experiences. But we are what we are and we is what we is. Just because someone from the outside draws a conclusion based on their limited perception in no way means that said perspective is actual or even factual.

Strolling through hills there are hill people who carry the complex. Symptomatically showing itself accusing the flat landers of having the "better than thou" syndrome. Surprisingly enough if both met on equal footing the prognosis would improve as ignorance would be dispelled by many, many things in common and respect for their differences.

Last edited by Love-Cinci; 02-19-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love-Cinci View Post
Question is do you see yourself as the outside world sees? and do you even know how subjective "the outside world" is? Or is the outside world your own? We could see each any number of ways depending on background and personal experiences. But we are what we are and we is what we is. Just because someone from the outside draws a conclusion based on their limited perception in no way means that said perspective is actual or even factual.

Strolling through hills there are hill people who carry the complex. Symptomatically showing itself accusing the flat landers of having the "better than thou" syndrome. Surprisingly enough if both met on equal footing the prognosis would improve as ignorance would be dispelled by many, many things in common and respect for their differences.

Not quite "outside world," dear. I rented an apartment in downtown Cincinnati for a number of years.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:32 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
I am a little slow admittedly, but if I get it right the outside world is the territory beyond the City limits, which I assume would make the inside world within the City limits.

If this is valid, I am a product of the outside world, having been born in Deer Park, parents moved to Madeira, went to school there, got married bought a house and lived there for 13 more years prior to moving to Mason.

Over this time frame if encountering anyone from out of state I definitely would say I was from Cincinnati. In more recent times I just say Mason. If someone asks where is Mason? I simply state Kings Island. Amazing how many people relate to that, from Tennessee, West Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, and Pennsylvania.

Some comment herein the suburbanites just knock the City. I don't feel this is a valid position. While I and others may prefer the suburbs there has to be a reason Why? I would like the City to get its act together so there is no perceived social/racial/economic/safety boundary involved. Frankly I do not expect to live that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: