Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM

7 posts, read 12,457 times

Advertisements

Thanks CincyExpert. The kids are currently in a high school with 2100 students, so getting on a team is very difficult. I was hoping that with a smaller school system might be a little easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 AM

171 posts, read 354,401 times
It's definitely easier to make a team when you are only pulling from 675 kids vs 2100 kids. Wyoming is small, but competitive in sports. So, your kids won't be on an awful team either.

We also found the people to be quite friendly around here as well as very proud of the town. Figure it has to be good to live somewhere where people love it so much...

Are you relocating from another city or from within Cincinnati? If you decide to move to Wyoming and have any questions on locations, feel free to ask (I'm not a realtor or associated with anything reality wise). We just found it so helpful to discuss with someone my husband knew from work on what streets they recommended...

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,457 times
I think we have pretty much decided on Wyoming. We will be moving from the Atlanta area, it's just a matter of selling our house here. I am interested in finding out about the Wyoming golf club, I was wondering if it has tennis facilities, or if not where people play tennis around Wyoming.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
There are several pure tennis clubs surrounding Wyoming. If you Google Wyoming Ohio Tennis Club you will receive a reasonable list and locations.

From what I know, the Wyoming golf club is a 9-hole venue, and likely more akin to what is termed an executive course (mainly par-3s and easy). That's not to say it can't be a good place to hone up your game. But to challenge Augusta National I doubt it.

You appear to have settled on this area and I have to say your could make a far worse decision. The long term history of Wyoming has to speak volumes about the character of its citizens and their desire to create a living atmosphere. Hope you move there and enjoy the Queen City.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Wyoming Golf Club | Wyoming Golf Course

Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,931 times
Jen35,
We are relocating from another city and are looking at Wyoming very seriously. We are looking at homes on both Fleming and Forest Ave. One concern of ours is that Wyoming is a declining area as we saw many homes for sale on the market. We were wondering if more people are moving away from Wyoming because of the high property and other taxes. Could you shed any light on the direction of Wyoming?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM

DV33 - I don't think it's a declining area at all. We just closed on our house in September, and it had a backup offer. We tried to buy another house a few weeks earlier and they accepted another offer. It seems a bunch of houses all over Cincinnati are popping on the market right now getting ready for the Spring market. Cincinnati as a whole seems to be hit by the housing crash and so many people kept their houses off the market until now. I would say it seems like less houses are on the market in Wyoming than some of the other areas I see. When you search on Wyoming, make sure you are only looking at the houses in Wyoming City Schools. There are a couple of developments on the edge of Wyoming that do not go to the schools. That may be why it seems there are more houses on the market, as they are not selling at all up there since they go to Winton Woods schools. I just did a search, and there are 71 single family houses on the market, and some of those are pending. I believe there are close to 3000 single family houses in Wyoming.

I think you do have some familes that move out right after their kids graduate due to the taxes. The people we bought from moved to Glendale once their son graduated high school. Although, you have the opposite as well. We looked at a house where the person had been there for 60 years. I just met a man at the bakery in town yesterday who has been in the same house for over 30 years. There's a real mix of people who stay, and then people who move in due to relocation, etc.

I think as long as the schools stay strong (they were #2 in the State last year (behind a school up in Cleveland, i think), and #1 the year before), towns like Wyoming will continue to be just fine. I know that was my top reason to move here.

Forest and Fleming are both very nice streets. Fleming does cut through to Springfield Twp, so it will have more traffic on it (although it's not a major road like Springfield Pike). If you like that area of Wyoming, you may also want to also check out Ritchie Ave. I met someone at the gym the other day and they lived on Ritchie and absolutely loved it. They said it's full of familes. Not sure the ages of your kids...

Hope that helps. Maybe one of others has opinions on the state of Wyoming?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Robin33 - There are also town owned tennis courts. I'm not a tennis player, but was actually over at the Rec center today and was asking about the tennis courts. Here's a link to the ones owned by the town (scroll towards the bottom of the page):

The City of Wyoming - Wyoming Ohio Parks and Playgrounds

I'm glad to hear that you will probably relocate here! I am sure you will love it here!! Good luck with the sale of your home!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,931 times
Jen35--Sorry to send a few questions your way. We visited Cincy this past weekend and really focused on Wyoming and Hyde Park. We are trying to decide which house to make an offer on and since we like both of the houses equally, it is really down to the neighborhoods. We have young kids, so like Wyoming for the school. Our one concern is that some people have thrown about the "snooty" label when referring to Wyoming. Do you think Wyoming is overly homogeneous and perhaps not a diverse as a community like Hyde Park. I imagine you are somewhat prejudice since you live in Wyoming, but do you think there is any truth to the closed community remarks that some people make about Wyoming? We live in Manhattan right now on the uppper east side and that is one thing we have not enjoyed as much about the area, so we are somewhat worried to move to the upper east side of Cincy, if that makes sense?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV33 View Post
Jen35--Sorry to send a few questions your way. We visited Cincy this past weekend and really focused on Wyoming and Hyde Park. We are trying to decide which house to make an offer on and since we like both of the houses equally, it is really down to the neighborhoods. We have young kids, so like Wyoming for the school. Our one concern is that some people have thrown about the "snooty" label when referring to Wyoming. Do you think Wyoming is overly homogeneous and perhaps not a diverse as a community like Hyde Park. I imagine you are somewhat prejudice since you live in Wyoming, but do you think there is any truth to the closed community remarks that some people make about Wyoming? We live in Manhattan right now on the uppper east side and that is one thing we have not enjoyed as much about the area, so we are somewhat worried to move to the upper east side of Cincy, if that makes sense?
A lot of Cincinnatians would find this post hilarious, no disrespect intended. But to actually see someone thinking that Hyde Park might be less "snooty" than Wyoming? Oh brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati