Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 AM

171 posts, read 354,401 times

Advertisements

Plenty to do around here (especially for kids) right in town. Very easy to get to any part of Cincinnati in under 15 minutes. Hardly a day goes on when I don't have some activity.

CinnyKate - Send me a direct message and I can let you know some of what goes on around here.

Wow...what's going on here? Wyoming is great. Some people just don't get it and actually don't even understand where we are located (which, is NOT next to the Mill Creek, as that's Lockland, Evendale and other towns, but not Wyoming.) Also, we are NOT next to the highway, again that's Lockland, Reading, Evendale, Springdale, Sharonville, West Chester, and others, but not Wyoming.

She's already here, and obviously choose to live here, so why try to make her feel awful? What a bad group we have on here these days and probably why so many seem to be staying away recently. So much for us being a nice welcoming group trying to highlight a wonderful city. The board makes us sound like a bunch of miserable people. Very disappointing and wouldn't make me want to move to Cincinnati with all the negativity...

Wilson - Get a map and get over it...we are not next to the Mill Creek or the highway. Yes, it's in the Mill Creek community, along with 34 other towns (including Montgomery, Blue Ash, Cincinnati, Glendale, Amberly). Interesting that you never mention that everytime anyone posts about those areas, only when people ask about Wyoming.
Mill Creek Watershed Council of Communities | The Communities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen35 View Post
Wilson - Get a map and get over it...we are not next to the Mill Creek or the highway. Yes, it's in the Mill Creek community, along with 34 other towns (including Montgomery, Blue Ash, Cincinnati, Glendale, Amberly). Interesting that you never mention that everytime anyone posts about those areas, only when people ask about Wyoming.
Mill Creek Watershed Council of Communities | The Communities
If you get a satellite map and look for the Wyoming River, you will find it winding along Park Ave. and through the park. Guess what? Its not the Wyoming River you are skipping stone on, it is the disgusting sewer known as the Mill Creek. If you didn't know that when you bought your house, you should sue the realtor for not telling you.

Don't blame the messenger.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
If you get a satellite map and look for the Wyoming River, you will find it winding along Park Ave. and through the park. Guess what? Its not the Wyoming River you are skipping stone on, it is the disgusting sewer known as the Mill Creek. If you didn't know that when you bought your house, you should sue the realtor for not telling you.

Don't blame the messenger.
Oak Park doesn't have a river winding through it when I take my kids there. I will take another look, but never even noticed a stream in the park. Just some ball fields, playground, bike path and skate park. By looking up the Mill Creek River, by your link it shows it over next to 75 in between Reading and Lockland. So this raging river crosses the railroad tracks into Lockland and Reading according to you??? Sorry, the only water I go over in Wyoming is a small stream that crosses under Springfield Pike over to where you speak of. If that's the Mill creek, then I am mistaken, but from what I understad, that's just a stream that feeds into Mill Creek. From what I've read about Mill creek, it goes through Hamilton County in Reading, Arlington Heights, and Lockland. See link which states which areas are impacted. Once again, no mention of Wyoming...
http://www.millcreekrestoration.org/...EIS_2_2_05.pdf

If you really want to get into problems with different areas, I just spoke to an exterminator (possum in the backyard) and he was telling me how Hyde Park and Oakley are overrun with rats. Should I tell people not to move there due to disease?? He says he pulls 6-7 rats at a time from over there...

Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
If you really want to get into problems with different areas, I just spoke to an exterminator (possum in the backyard) and he was telling me how Hyde Park and Oakley are overrun with rats. Should I tell people not to move there due to disease?? He says he pulls 6-7 rats at a time from over there...

That is true, at least it used to be. When they tore down the building that once housed the old Jekyll's restaurant to build the new Kroger gas station, it really displaced a huge rat population and neighbor's were freaking out. The city even made a presentation about the rats at the Oakley Council Meeting. Yikes!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The original post sounded like people more interested in "quaint neighborhood events" than "action" to me. But as long as we're both here, what is a "quaint" event, anyway?
People define "family-oriented" in different ways. It could mean that they like to sit in the "no-beer" section at a Reds game, or it could be that they like quiet evenings on the front porch. I don't know. Either way, Wyoming isn't known in the city its for events and activities. Sure, you can go to your kid's sporting event, or high school drama productions, but they didn't mention having any kids. Wyoming has the May Fete and the St. James festival, but the list isn't much longer, and none of these things make me think that a young 20-something couple is going to find them all that diverting for long (besides, they only happen once a year). I'm not knocking Wyoming (and I don't buy all this jazz about it being Cincinnati's Love Canal), it's just that I wouldn't live there if I was interested in having a whole lot of things to do outside of trimming my hedges and grilling out with the Jones' next door. Heck, you could count on one hand the number of restaurants in town! Jeez, I grew up around the Valley ( I wonder if anyone still calls it that?), and I dated a girl from Wyoming. We used to go to the Friendly's Ice Cream that was on the Pike, and the LaRosa's just on the border with Woodlawn. We went to the Village Green Restaurant from time to time...hard to believe that was all 20 or more years ago...and none of those places are even there anymore! So there's less there now than back then. I think even sleepy Glendale has more to do than Wyoming, and Glendale is like our version of Mayberry.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM

It all depends what they want. They moved here, so they must have liked something. I lived in neighborhoods in my 20s, not in a city, and was very happy. When we wanted to go out, we would drive or get a cab. Never was much problem for us, but we were far over the go out every night crowd by then. Got that out of our systems in college

Now that they are here, for drinks, Gabby's is pretty crowded on weekend nights. We had a babysitter a few months ago, and went down for drinks. Couldn't find a table in the bar, so we sat right at the bar. There was a band playing as well. We ended up talking with a 20 year old ex-Marine on one side and a COO of a hospital on the other side. Mixed in there was a young couple from Hartwell out for a good time. Definitely was neat to have such a dicatomy. You won't find much nightlife besides Gabby's, but I'm sure that was apparant when they moved into Wyoming.

Plenty of low key evening activities around town. Today was the Farmer's Market. This evening there was National Night Out sponsored by the police/fire. Got to watch canine demostration, police get tasered, jaws of life take apart a car, rides in a military Hummer, a band playing, etc. There are lots of little events like that. Also, there's a very strong Newcomers group. I know they have dinners, wine tastings, gatherings, etc with that group. Also, there are wine tastings every Friday and Saturday in the wine store. Seems to be a nice group that attends that and socializes.

fyi..LaRosa's is still around...

Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
fyi..LaRosa's is still around...
Is it??? If so, I stand corrected. It seemed the last time I drove through there a couple of months ago, the location was vacant. Maybe they've moved? That whole stretch looks so different to me now. When I was a kid, my grandmother used to shop at that nearby Kmart all the time. Now that that's gone, and all apartments and/or condos, I hardly recognize the place.

Seems too like there was another little restaurant we used to go in Wyoming after seeing the dentist. Our family dentist had his office on Wyoming Ave...years ago it was Dr. Knechtly and then later Dr Emerson...maybe that place was across the bridge in Lockland...hmmm

Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 PM

I don't know where it used to be, as I am new to the area, but there's a LaRosa's right on Springfield Pike. It's on the western side. It's connected with a couple smaller stores. Not far from where they are opening the new coffee shop (although that's on the Eastern side of Springfield Pike).

Old 08-03-2011, 12:05 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
As long as you are debating the geography of this area, I am still interested (with some understandable trepidation) what is in the ominous looking ponds next to the Mill Creek loop in what I guess is Oak Park. Here is a map in case they were missed in the satellite photo posted above. I am betting that they are industrial sewerage chemical settling ponds. Tell me there was a fish farm there once upon a time.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 AM

I've been told they are water retention basins to control storm runoff. Stop trying to pick a fight. We all know you hate Wyoming, but no one is buying into your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati