Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times

Advertisements

Is Virginia Bakery still around? It was in downtown Clifton I believe. They used to have something called "schnecken" (not sure how to spell it). It was awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:53 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
It is now a Servatti's

Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
It is now a Servatti's
Ahhhh...I like Servatti's, too.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Virginia Bakery was on Ludlow, first block east of Clifton Ave. Their doughnuts, specialty breads, wedding cakes, and dinner rolls kept the place thronged all year. But starting in early December, the line of customers would extend halfway to Skyline and parking within two blocks was a feat. I could swear that the Thies even had a detail cop on duty sometimes, all over their incomparable holiday "schnecken." Goyguy's daily food intake in Heaven will include slices of it washed down with cold milk from a glass bottle. Ha' mercy. Schnecken look like nothing more than a flat, sticky loaf of raisin bread. But they rock my world. One bite and you know your cardiologist will give you a talking to: there's no mistaking the taste of a pastry made with sugar, real butter, and eggs. A sharp or serrated knife's best for carving past the layer - that's right, layer - of glaze that saturates the top and sides.

Cincinnati schnecken devotees went into panic mode when the Thies announced that Virginia Bakery would be closing. But right on the heels of that came the rejoiced-on announcement that the Ludlow premises would stay, for use as a base of operations for "event baking and holiday schnecken." The traffic jams and long lines were back - for a couple more Decembers.

When Mr Thie was asked where the recipe for his one-of-a-kind schnecken was kept, he'd smile and point to his head. It was a closely guarded secret. Then he fell from a ladder in 2006 and was nearly killed. Whether by his own volition or under doctor's orders, that spelled curtains for his business. No more Virginia Bakery schnecken? Forever?!!! Not exactly. For an "undisclosed sum," Busken was allowed to purchase the recipe. So now, when Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat Goyguy is circling the parking lot of the Busken at Madison and Edwards. The store-filling-and-out-the-door mob of customers is there just as it was on Ludlow. Employees jostle through the crowd pushing two-wheeled carts that bear stacks of boxed schnecken to add to the swiftly depleted heaps distributed throughout the store. (Those in the know phone in to reserve their orders.) It brought a big smile to my face when I first saw that not only had Mr Thie sold his cherished recipe, he'd also let Busken buy the rights to the box design! Yup, those gold bricks of sugar and raisins are still layer-wrapped in waxed paper, and placed in a white box with the same red Virginia Bakery logo printed on top, just like in the old Clifton days, right down to the red ribbon strips wrapped diagonally around the box on either side of the logo. What's not to love?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:52 PM

Just reading your post about "schnecken" was like reading a whimsical fairy tale as my mouth salivates. Wonder if they ship them across country?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 8,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Virginia Bakery was on Ludlow, first block east of Clifton Ave. Their doughnuts, specialty breads, wedding cakes, and dinner rolls kept the place thronged all year. But starting in early December, the line of customers would extend halfway to Skyline and parking within two blocks was a feat. I could swear that the Thies even had a detail cop on duty sometimes, all over their incomparable holiday "schnecken." Goyguy's daily food intake in Heaven will include slices of it washed down with cold milk from a glass bottle. Ha' mercy. Schnecken look like nothing more than a flat, sticky loaf of raisin bread. But they rock my world. One bite and you know your cardiologist will give you a talking to: there's no mistaking the taste of a pastry made with sugar, real butter, and eggs. A sharp or serrated knife's best for carving past the layer - that's right, layer - of glaze that saturates the top and sides.

Cincinnati schnecken devotees went into panic mode when the Thies announced that Virginia Bakery would be closing. But right on the heels of that came the rejoiced-on announcement that the Ludlow premises would stay, for use as a base of operations for "event baking and holiday schnecken." The traffic jams and long lines were back - for a couple more Decembers.

When Mr Thie was asked where the recipe for his one-of-a-kind schnecken was kept, he'd smile and point to his head. It was a closely guarded secret. Then he fell from a ladder in 2006 and was nearly killed. Whether by his own volition or under doctor's orders, that spelled curtains for his business. No more Virginia Bakery schnecken? Forever?!!! Not exactly. For an "undisclosed sum," Busken was allowed to purchase the recipe. So now, when Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat Goyguy is circling the parking lot of the Busken at Madison and Edwards. The store-filling-and-out-the-door mob of customers is there just as it was on Ludlow. Employees jostle through the crowd pushing two-wheeled carts that bear stacks of boxed schnecken to add to the swiftly depleted heaps distributed throughout the store. (Those in the know phone in to reserve their orders.) It brought a big smile to my face when I first saw that not only had Mr Thie sold his cherished recipe, he'd also let Busken buy the rights to the box design! Yup, those gold bricks of sugar and raisins are still layer-wrapped in waxed paper, and placed in a white box with the same red Virginia Bakery logo printed on top, just like in the old Clifton days, right down to the red ribbon strips wrapped diagonally around the box on either side of the logo. What's not to love?

Goyguy --
While doing research for a book project, I became aware of your post about the Virginia Bakery's schnecken. I would like to be able to quote some of your descriptions. Please contact me -- at P.O. Box 46844, Cincinnati, OH 45246 -- so that I can obtain permission. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
Bakery Lover

Old 10-31-2009, 02:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I don't know about Virginia Bakery. It always seems like just another of Bill Gottenbusch's Servatii bakeries to me even before it became one. Nice place to get some fancy cupcakes or a chocolate cake. If it was so wonderful why did it close?

Maybe Virginia Bakery did a good job on their schnecken. But, I can tell you that the best schnecken in Cincinnati now is from Bill Shadeau on Main St. I wouldn't even think of buying anything but coffee and donuts at Buskens.

Last edited by Wilson513; 10-31-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
What a wonderfully DELICIOUS thread!!! (Even though "Schnecken" translates to the German for "snails"...)

Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Y'know, that must be because those loaves are baked in a mold with sort-of snail-shaped patterns! Never knew that.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Y'know, that must be because those loaves are baked in a mold with sort-of snail-shaped patterns! Never knew that.
The lovely Mrs. CC, born and raised in Germany, says that "schnecken" are also baked in Germany and called that, as well. (Don't know why I didn't remember seeing them when we were there...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati