Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:55 PM

231 posts, read 849,390 times

Advertisements

Married mid-30's professional here....

If I was a few years younger and single w/out kid, I would absolutely pick Mount Adams......Definitely a bit older feel than the 21 and 22 yr old vibe in Covington/Newport. It has an all around classier feel than Covington/Newport.

If Mount Adams is to far away and Covington/Newport area is a must, the first place I'd start looking is in eastern Covington towards Greenup St. On the river there are some really nice apartments/homes. I had some professional friends live at Roebling Place. I think it was around $900 for a 2 bedroom. I remember some of the Reds lived there etc... Also close to some bars and walking distance to the stadiums/downtown Cincy.

Florence/ Erlanger is a bit more family oriented. Almost completely suburban. I am looking forward to moving back there sometime in the next few years. But I got the family to think about

If it wasn't for the family I'd be all over Mount Adams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,238 times
It makes sense now. All I want is everything, and I can't have it anywhere! *sigh*
Sarah, my question regarding diversity had more to do with people's tolerance of anything different from themselves. Thanks for your excellent answer.
It sounds like my best bet is to find a comfortable residence in the suburbs around Fort Mitchell or Florence and drive up to Mount Adams and other such areas in Cincinnati every once in a while. Since everyone speaks so highly of Hyde Park and Mount Adams, I am tempted to check them out as well, even if it would add another 20-25 minutes of commute each way. And Wilson, I do understand that cabs are much cheaper than DUIs Thanks for your input!
Been to Cincinnati twice, and felt a positive vibe. Looking forward to making this area my home for the next few years and making new friends!
Thanks everyone.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topro View Post
It makes sense now. All I want is everything, and I can't have it anywhere! *sigh*
Sarah, my question regarding diversity had more to do with people's tolerance of anything different from themselves. Thanks for your excellent answer.
It sounds like my best bet is to find a comfortable residence in the suburbs around Fort Mitchell or Florence and drive up to Mount Adams and other such areas in Cincinnati every once in a while. Since everyone speaks so highly of Hyde Park and Mount Adams, I am tempted to check them out as well, even if it would add another 20-25 minutes of commute each way. And Wilson, I do understand that cabs are much cheaper than DUIs Thanks for your input!
Been to Cincinnati twice, and felt a positive vibe. Looking forward to making this area my home for the next few years and making new friends!
Thanks everyone.
You'd love Hyde Park, but I couldn't recommend that commute every day.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topro View Post
Thanks everyone.
Best wishes for your move. It sounds like you're thoughtful and will land in the best place for you. I'm constantly urging transplants to the area to try to find a suitable home close to their jobs, cause I grew up with a dad who really suffered from an extremely long commute (for folks familiar with the area, between our home in far western Colerain Township to Evendale). There are tons of nice apartments in the Florence area, and Ft. Mitchell is also a lovely community. Rents there I'm pretty sure will be cheaper than Hyde Park or Mt. Adams, but certainly a lot of YPs consider those neighborhoods the place to be.

Hope you come back and let us know how things work out!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Hahaha! I guess I went a little overboard with the post about Covington. But who in their right mind would want to live there? Unless a person was just wanting to go out every night and drink themselves blind and walk home and flop into the crib and not care if they get rolled on the way, a person shouldn't live there.

What would you do with a nice car down there? Or visitors? Its kind of a one dimensional place. Great bars do not make a great neighborhood.
I never measured it, but I think the nearest business place of any sort is five blocks from my apartment building -- which is better than a lot of them, except it's an old folks' home.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 AM

477 posts, read 664,510 times
I'm going to add as I've stated many times before that Cincinnati is behind the times when it comes to trends regarding walkable neighborhoods. Nice ones do exist but not like in many other larger more gentrified cities. Transit is a bit lacking too considering the age and build of the city, sadly you have to use taxis if you are out on the town and Cincy's are a bit on the expensive side.

However, for your case I would strongly recommend going to the Riverside Historic District (Roebling Point is an apartment complex there), in Covington, my brother lives there he's in his early 30s and the neighborhood is very safe, its very walkable (there even is an old style grocery a few blocks away) and mainstrasse or downtown Cincinnati (right across the bridge) are close by for bars, depending on your scene). The crowd is a bit older than Mt Adams, but its a good mix of professionals generally. Your rent requirements would get you a really nice place there as Cincinnati is dirt cheap and even expensive areas like there rents are generally less than 1500 a month. At least according to my brother you'll get more bang for your buck there too, the apartments tend to be larger and nicer than in Mt. Adams.

Last edited by neilworms2; 10-20-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati