Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 PM

69 posts, read 147,347 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge baseball fan who used to follow the Reds when I lived in Indiana. I now live in Iowa and have never been to the new ballpark. I've seen numerous pictures and videos of the place. Is it as beautiful in person as it seems in pics and videos? Thanks!! I'm hoping to come out this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 05:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
It's nice. If you're a baseball fan and have the urge, you should definitely go see it and take in a game.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,256 times
Great ball park, you need to see it, balls fly out of that place.....bad for ERA, great for batting avg....

Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,004 times
Hate to be negative, but GAPB is in my opinion, a lackluster ballpark compared to many others in the league. When you've traveled around to the other ballparks, you can really see where Cincinnati cut corners and accepted a design which was created so as to neither offend nor please. It lacks any clear vision or consistency...sort of a bunch of random elements thrown together in a desperate attempt to be unique. It was panned by architectural critics at the time it was completed as a squandered opportunity.

The Reds were so hell bent on a riverfront location, that I believe the added engineering and logistical expense of building one stadium inside another that was being used, forced them to compromise the design of the finished product. What we have in Cincinnati is a several hundred million dollar replacement for basically what we already had...a riverfront stadium cut off from downtown, but with easy access to the highways so the suburbanites can get in and out as quickly as possible. The siting of Cincinnati's ballpark was quite controversial, and while architects, engineers, and urban planners UNIVERSALLY agreed that another location would be better, the Reds insisted on going back to the riverfront.

If you visit here, do not expect to find a Camden Yards, PNC Park, Safeco Field, San Diego or San Francisco (I give up trying to keep track of the corporate names as they change). GAPB is a cartoon compared to these classic baseball designs. What stunned me, is that many features of GABP were copied into the National's park in DC, such as the inexplicable "notch" in the upper deck. It made me feel like our park here in Cincinnati was even more of a "canned" design than I already did.

What GABP has that no other park can offer is a magnificent Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, so make sure you do that while you're here. The food is also much better than average. Most of all, the Reds' marketing department does a better job than just about any other club in the majors of enhancing the fan experience with promos and special events. 22 major league clubs were in Cincinnati earlier this month to study the Reds' success with RedsFest...that says something about how this franchise is run.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Hate to be negative, but GAPB is in my opinion, a lackluster ballpark compared to many others in the league. When you've traveled around to the other ballparks, you can really see where Cincinnati cut corners and accepted a design which was created so as to neither offend nor please. It lacks any clear vision or consistency...sort of a bunch of random elements thrown together in a desperate attempt to be unique. It was panned by architectural critics at the time it was completed as a squandered opportunity.

The Reds were so hell bent on a riverfront location, that I believe the added engineering and logistical expense of building one stadium inside another that was being used, forced them to compromise the design of the finished product. What we have in Cincinnati is a several hundred million dollar replacement for basically what we already had...a riverfront stadium cut off from downtown, but with easy access to the highways so the suburbanites can get in and out as quickly as possible. The siting of Cincinnati's ballpark was quite controversial, and while architects, engineers, and urban planners UNIVERSALLY agreed that another location would be better, the Reds insisted on going back to the riverfront.

If you visit here, do not expect to find a Camden Yards, PNC Park, Safeco Field, San Diego or San Francisco (I give up trying to keep track of the corporate names as they change). GAPB is a cartoon compared to these classic baseball designs. What stunned me, is that many features of GABP were copied into the National's park in DC, such as the inexplicable "notch" in the upper deck. It made me feel like our park here in Cincinnati was even more of a "canned" design than I already did.

What GABP has that no other park can offer is a magnificent Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, so make sure you do that while you're here. The food is also much better than average. Most of all, the Reds' marketing department does a better job than just about any other club in the majors of enhancing the fan experience with promos and special events. 22 major league clubs were in Cincinnati earlier this month to study the Reds' success with RedsFest...that says something about how this franchise is run.
PNC Park is surrounded by parking and a jumble of freeways, and easily gets all of its visitors back on the parkway so they can get back to their nice homes in the suburbs.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 AM

GABP is really nice! Seriously consider checking out the Reds Hall of Fame. With the new Banks project happening right across the street, you will have plenty of restaurants to eat at, and check out the new Cincinnati Riverfront Park or the finished parts of it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
PNC Park is surrounded by parking and a jumble of freeways, and easily gets all of its visitors back on the parkway so they can get back to their nice homes in the suburbs.
But PNC itself is very nice, maybe the best in baseball, and has great views of downtown and the bridges. They really sited the ballpark perfectly from that standpoint. In Cincinnati, you can't see much out of GABP if you aren't sitting in the nosebleeds. It's open sky, and what you can see is nothing terribly spectacular...a muddy river, if you're high enough.

Few (new) ballparks combine great siting with great design. Camden Yards, San Francisco, San Diego are the best. Safeco is a great ballpark, has beautiful views and is one of my faves, but it's bit separated from downtown. Coors Field in Denver, on the other hand, has a great downtown location, but the ballpark itself really isn't anything special. St Louis' new Busch is disappointing on both fronts. To me, that ballpark feels closed in and is a bit uninviting. There are many places where you can't see the field from the concourses, and downtown St Louis has nothing going on.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
But PNC itself is very nice, maybe the best in baseball, and has great views of downtown and the bridges. They really sited the ballpark perfectly from that standpoint. In Cincinnati, you can't see much out of GABP if you aren't sitting in the nosebleeds. It's open sky, and what you can see is nothing terribly spectacular...a muddy river, if you're high enough.

Few (new) ballparks combine great siting with great design. Camden Yards, San Francisco, San Diego are the best. Safeco is a great ballpark, has beautiful views and is one of my faves, but it's bit separated from downtown. Coors Field in Denver, on the other hand, has a great downtown location, but the ballpark itself really isn't anything special. St Louis' new Busch is disappointing on both fronts. To me, that ballpark feels closed in and is a bit uninviting. There are many places where you can't see the field from the concourses, and downtown St Louis has nothing going on.
I never said anything about PNC Park itself. I mentioned the same problems you mentioned with GABP exist at PNC Park.

I think Busch in St. Louis is extremely overrated. Doesn't help that downtown St. Louis lacks a lot.

LOL and didn't even realize you said the same thing about downtown St. Louis as myself. I was there on business last week before heading back home to Indiana for the holidays. St. Louis really needs to do something to its downtown and that war zone they call the Northside.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I never said anything about PNC Park itself. I mentioned the same problems you mentioned with GABP exist at PNC Park.

I think Busch in St. Louis is extremely overrated. Doesn't help that downtown St. Louis lacks a lot.

LOL and didn't even realize you said the same thing about downtown St. Louis as myself. I was there on business last week before heading back home to Indiana for the holidays. St. Louis really needs to do something to its downtown and that war zone they call the Northside.
The only shortcoming is the fact that PNC sits off by itself. I'm not sure if it's a benefit that it sits near the expressways. I've never been there when there is a big crowd, but if that experience is anything like the nightmare of getting out of nearby Heinz Field, then forget it. Being next to highways does nothing to alleviate the gridlock of Heinz. I've never seen anything like it...over an hour of sitting in traffic. They also park you so tightly into some of those surface lots that it is literally impossible to get out until the people around you leave. You need to pretty much figure on a post-game tailgate, because you are going nowhere!

It's shame about St. Louis. The first time I was there I was shocked. I thought it would be a lot more vibrant. Heck, even the bowling museum is sitting there empty!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
OK, t45209 and Traveler87... Do you know just where you are coming from?

I thought the main purpose of a Ball Park was to get people to come there and enjoy the game so they would come back. So please explain to us how GABP fails to do this. Everyone I know says GABP is a great place to experience a game, just the whole ambience which the Reds have created. So again, please explain to us how it has failed to live up to expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati