Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM

477 posts, read 664,472 times

Advertisements

I'd say that the reports I've been hearing from people my age still living in Cincinnati of how hard it is to rent an apartment in OTR are very telling of what's going on down there. 3CDC is being conservative in its growth to prevent it from creating a bubble situation that would leave the consortium worse off.

I'd also say that its only a matter of time until OTR gets dry goods stores. Restaurants and bars generate early buzz for a neighborhood (which frankly they've done), dry goods and essential goods follow as the people fill up the neighborhood, it happened in a ton of places in Chicago and its happening now in OTR. One massive issue is the lack of understanding of an full-service urban grocery store by the regional offices of the dominant grocery of the region Kroger (though they have urban locations in Atlanta).

The only strategy I'd fault is at the Banks, where the demand its built into the project due to its location between two sports stadiums and easy walking distance to downtown. The developer there is bonkers for focusing (which he stated in an enquirer article) solely on restaurants and not dry goods/essential needs because the former is reaching a saturation point (though all things considered the former was kind of lacking in Cincinnati particularly with the closures post riots) and the latter is lacking in supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Outstanding news for the city, downtown and the Fifth & Race area in particular:

DunnhumbyUSA picks Fifth and Race | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

I'm happy that 3CDC is going to be behind the development of this building. But I'm even more thrilled that Dunnhumby is the primary tennant. They will do nothing short of demand the most dynamic building possible, since their company's creativity feeds off their work space. The story indicates that retail space will be a component of this new development but I hope they consider adding residential too. A 20-something story tower with some residential floors is EXACTLY what is needed at this space. And, judging from the wild success at The Banks, OTR and elsewhere downtown, the residential would be in very high demand.

Frankly, downtown Cincinnati is on a roll.

When it comes to new projects, the operative word now is: Next ...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 PM

800 posts, read 950,718 times
>Frankly, downtown Cincinnati is on a roll.

We will possibly have two new towers under construction at the same time, if Western-Southern's new tower is a go.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

We will possibly have two new towers under construction at the same time, if Western-Southern's new tower is a go.
I thought Western Southern was looking at Fifth and Race, am I wrong? If that's the case, couldn't you have three? I saw that the Fifth and Race spot may be home to two towers going up. Or at least that's what I heard the plans were for.

Stopped in Cincinnati when I was back in Indianapolis last week, Washington Park looked amazing. It's hard to describe when looking at the historical structures around the park, and seeing the CBD through the trees from Music Hall, but there is an awesome true urban park feeling there. I will have to see the finished project. When is completion date?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM

I think Washington Park will be finished this year. They had some delays with the garage waterproofing due to all the rain.

Western-Southern's development arm once held control of the rights to 5th & Race. But their tower will be going where the orange parking garage with the spinning clock is on Broadway. No specifics have been announced on that project, though.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Also, The Enquirer is reporting that the 5th & Race project will have 1,200 parking spaces and five floors of office. This appears to be enough parking to support the long-planned office above Macy's, which 5/3 owns the rights to. You can see the elevator shafts when you look down from the Carew Tower.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
I think Washington Park will be finished this year. They had some delays with the garage waterproofing due to all the rain.

Western-Southern's development arm once held control of the rights to 5th & Race. But their tower will be going where the orange parking garage with the spinning clock is on Broadway. No specifics have been announced on that project, though.
That's over by the new Queen City Square, correct?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM

^Right up against Fort Washington Way at Broadway, between Broadway and Lytle Park. The nice old buildings north of Arch St. won't be touched.

A major tower on this site would have the effect of really shifting the mass of the skyline eastward, away from the Carew Tower. QCS didn't change the effect of the skyline so much when viewed from Covington or the west, but from Newport and points east, it really dominates. A new tower on this site will *really* change the look from the east.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:

If the proposed Banks tower can find a tennant, and the Fifth-Third/Macy's tower is realized, that's four - count em, FOUR - new towers in the coming years. And that's not even taking into account a pair of proposed riverfront condo towers that were put on hold due to the recession and the hotel that'll eventually go up at The Banks. I can't imagine a scenario where that hotel isn't at least 8-10 stories, considering the relatively small footprint.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
Quote:
Also, The Enquirer is reporting that the 5th & Race project will have 1,200 parking spaces and five floors of office. This appears to be enough parking to support the long-planned office above Macy's, which 5/3 owns the rights to. You can see the elevator shafts when you look down from the Carew Tower.
That is the Fountain Square West site, right? God, that would be awesome to have that tower built...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati