Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times

Advertisements

Another list from Forbes.

Cincinnati Among Best Cities To Raise Children - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
"A good place to raise kids" has always been a euphemism for "a place kids can't wait to get away from." It's no surprise Cincy fared well in those rankings! LMAO

Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
"A good place to raise kids" has always been a euphemism for "a place kids can't wait to get away from." It's no surprise Cincy fared well in those rankings! LMAO
Things are different in big cities like Boston, but here in fly over country, we care about the environment where we raise of kids. I would be greatly hesitant to raise my kids in places like Boston and California where the belief system is so radically different from the majority of the country. You can have your so called "big city amenities," and I'll gladly keep my small town charm when it comes to raising my kids. I largely place my kids' wants/needs above my own, but I suspect that's not as prevalent on the coasts.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Things are different in big cities like Boston, but here in fly over country, we care about the environment where we raise of kids. I would be greatly hesitant to raise my kids in places like Boston and California where the belief system is so radically different from the majority of the country. You can have your so called "big city amenities," and I'll gladly keep my small town charm when it comes to raising my kids. I largely place my kids' wants/needs above my own, but I suspect that's not as prevalent on the coasts.
Plenty of people look at places like Cincinnati as ones where "the belief system is so radically different from the majority of the country." Not that that's necessarily such a bad thing. But if I had raised children here, I know I would have had to spend a lot of time innoculating them against the kinds of generalizations and prejudice expressed in your posting. Unfortunately, I've encountered way too many people who share your attitude around here.

Your final comment reminds me of a conversation I had a few years ago with a kind, cultured and very elderly woman who had moved here from the northern Midwest in the late 1940s. Many intervening decades, she told me, had done nothing to lessen the shock and horror she felt when she was told by a neighbor about the death of her black maid's child. The neighbor, she said, related the story and then said "Of course, they don't have the same feelings about their children as we do."

Maybe you should revisit your suspicions.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
While I agree that Goyguy's comment was beyond lame... troll much?

I also have an issue with Flashes.

Quote:
Things are different in big cities like Boston we care about the environment where we raise of kids.
I am pretty sure people on the coasts want the same things for their kids that we all want for our kids. The same things parents in Bangladesh want for their kids. The same things people around the world want for their kids.
The geography means nothing.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
While I agree that Goyguy's comment was beyond lame... troll much?

I also have an issue with Flashes.

I am pretty sure people on the coasts want the same things for their kids that we all want for our kids. The same things parents in Bangladesh want for their kids. The same things people around the world want for their kids.
(1) goyguy's a guy who routinely pops out of his Bostonian closet, wackes his hometown, then jumps back into hiding--he ain't nobody we take seriously anymore.

(2) Your last few sentences, Peregrine, were golden. How true.

(3) Sounds like flashes1, in the clashes2 of beliefs, might have strayed off the straight and narrow and bumped into a Buddhist or a Hindu or something. Those people can scare the bejeezus outta' a small town Midwesterner!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 10,875 times
Default Raised in Cincy - Ran from Cincy and Back in Cincy

I was raised here. Very conservative town. In 70's an art show was stopped due to content of pictures a few leaders decided nobody should see. Max conservatism.
Left in 79 and joined the military - returned in 2006 after military and divorce. Noticed things here.
This town for all the interracial relationships and children is such a prejudice town they await on pins and needles to have racial riots. A month after I moved back a black leader was killed downtown....the whole area was on pins and needles waiting for riots to start...until, it came into the news that a black man had turned himself in for the killing. You could "feel" the town relax.
I want to sell my home and get out of here. The town and out lying townships are so racially charged with "under the radar" hate and mistrust, kids are kids and treat others as they learn at home. If I was young and starting a family I would move out of this mid-west nightmare prejudice town. No, I am not prejudice, I was raised to be that way and I broke that from my life on my own. One of the best teachers to help me change my mind and heart was the military. In time of war the person that could stand by you and possibly save your life could be of a different skin color or religious belief than yours. Acceptance of others per how they treat you and how you treat them is utmost important.
As far as Cincinnati bine a good place to raise kids....nope, and really they are boasting about being in the top 10 when they were rated at #9.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM

526 posts, read 1,482,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
(1) goyguy's a guy who routinely pops out of his Bostonian closet, wackes his hometown, then jumps back into hiding--he ain't nobody we take seriously anymore.
That may or may not be - but is he wrong? Not from where I am sitting - one a sister linving in Michigan, another living in Maryland, a daughter living in Columbus, another in Maryland. All four were raised in Cincinnati.

Sometimes I wonder why I am still here.

But seriously, these so-called studies are so bogus - Look at the criteria they were using - very subjective in my opinion.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
It his sort of hilarious to hear you describe other American cities as "so radically different." Especially the large metros. All American cities are shades of the same color. And geez, all good parents put their kids needs in front of their own.

You would probably find a more substantial "cultural values" difference between San Francisco and some small town 2 hours east of it then you would between any two major metros in the country. Even then, the differences are marginal.

Last edited by progmac; 04-26-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As with many things in life these are true statements. The differences come with the processes and procedures put into effect to attain the wants. And I feel these vary greatly across the US and certainly around the world.

Many foreign exchange students from around the world understand when they return home they will have to repeat the years spent here because the US education will not be accepted as equivalent.

The Japanese perhaps have one of the most strict approaches to education. It is well understood unless you do well in the lower grades you will have no chance for college. And if you do not go to college you will have no chance at a good paying job. The many years I traveled there I often wondered why here in the US we could not develop the same attitude toward education. Japanese on the lower rungs of the economic ladder understand their kids do have a chance at a good eduction, but they have to grind it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati