Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 PM

82 posts, read 239,666 times

Advertisements

Hello.....we are looking at moving from a suburb of Cleveland, OH to a suburb of Cinci area (we are about 30 minutes outside of Cleveland and are looking to be about the same outside of Cinci)--
We are wondering a few things, if anyone has any insight on the following...it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is there a difference in economy there compared to Cleveland area ? --

2. Do you notice a difference in weather there compared to Cleveland area ? --

3. Is there a difference in people / attitudes there compared to Cleveland area ? --

4. Were looking at staying (we think) north /northeast of Cinci in between I75 and I71, or closer to I71, and are looking for any insight on these areas and how far north and how far northeast is considered being WAY out there -(the boonies) - ? --

5. How far north of Cinci do you then become considered a suburb of Dayton? --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 02:54 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,267,450 times
I think Mason will fit the bill.

I am pretty sure you have to hit Springboro before you are considered Dayton suburb. Correct me where wrong.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,849,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I think Mason will fit the bill.

I am pretty sure you have to hit Springboro before you are considered Dayton suburb. Correct me where wrong.
5. I think you are right, Springboro is a Dayton suburb. South of that not.

1. On economy, since I do not really track Cleveland can't comment.

2. On weather, we definitely have milder winters. But our Gulf induced summers with the high humidity coming up the Ohio River valley may make up for it.

3. Again, not being that often in Cleveland no real comment. But then you guys did elect Dennis Kucinich as mayor and then congress representative?

4. North of Cincy and between I-71 and I-75 are where the majority of the northern suburbs are located. Out where I live, Mason, I consider a 30 minute commute time. Certainly, with a wreck or such that can stretch considerably. Further north and that 30 minutes becomes a little more sketchy.

You didn't mention whether you have kids. If you do there are several school districts on the northern side of town with good reputations, I will just run down them again, Lakota, Mason, Kings, Sycamore. There are others closer to Cincinnnati, just depends on what you want.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
On weather, we definitely have milder winters. But our Gulf induced summers with the high humidity coming up the Ohio River valley may make up for it.
Quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Cincinnati belongs to a climatic transition zone, at the northern limit of the humid subtropical climate and the southern limit of the humid continental climate zone (Köppen: Cfa/Dfa, respectively).[33] Summers are hot and humid, with significant rainfall in each month. July is the warmest month, with highs just above 85 °F (29 °C), reaching 90 °F (32 °C) or above on 24 days per year, often with high dew points and humidity.[34] Winters tend to be cold and snowy, with January, the coolest month, averaging at 30.4 °F (−0.9 °C); however, lows may reach 0 °F (−18 °C) several times a year.[34] An average season will see around 22.1 inches (56 cm) of snowfall, contributing to the annual 42.5 inches (1,080 mm) of precipitation, which is somewhat evenly distributed.[35] Extremes range from −25 to 109 °F (-32 to 43 °C) on January 18, 1977 and July 21, 1934, respectively.[36]
All that to say I have found Cincinnati to be warmer in the winter, with less snow, and hotter for longer (not so much be degrees) in the summer than when I lived three hours north of Cincinnati.

So, ya, different from Cleve.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,481,639 times
1. Is there a difference in economy there compared to Cleveland area ? --

The economy in Cincinnati is considerably better than Cleveland's. In fact, just last week, Cincinnati was named one of the strongest economies in the nation. Cincinnati economy is one of strongest in the US

There is far less snow, particularly in comparison to Cleveland's east side. It still gets cold in the winter, but not nearly as frigid as NE Ohio. Conversely, summers here are hotter than Cleveland's.

3. Is there a difference in people / attitudes there compared to Cleveland area ? --

There's more of a Southern influence in Cincinnati and less of a connection to the rest of Ohio. Cincy's suburbs are more conservative but the city is solidly democratic.

4. Were looking at staying (we think) north /northeast of Cinci in between I75 and I71, or closer to I71, and are looking for any insight on these areas and how far north and how far northeast is considered being WAY out there -(the boonies) - ? --

Mason, Loveland and even South Lebanon might be two good places for you to look at. I'm sure our resident Mason expert (kjbrill) can help you with the specifics. I really don't think of much in the I-75/I-71 corridor as "boonies," but perhaps somewhere like Wilmington and Clinton County considered that.

Springboro and Centerville would be more Dayton, though there's so much back-and-forth between the two cities that the lines are blurred.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 PM

42,013 posts, read 75,423,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Definitely. Instead of five months of winter, you get five months of summer. Summers are hot and humid and not as breezy as summers along the lake. Summer in Cincinnati is a lot sooner in coming, too, without the lake to cool things down. Winters aren't unpleasant, for the most part, and it snows appreciably maybe once a year, twice at most. The natives are so afraid of snow that they want no contact with it whatsoever, and that includes shoveling their walks. When it snows in Cincinnati, it's a great time to go out driving to spin a few donuts!
Quote:
Yes, especially when you tell people you're from Cleveland. They'll make jokes and some will blurt outright insults, but keep in mind that most of the people that are talking trash about Cleveland have never been there. You'll get a lot of "You're not from around here, are you?" for awhile.

Don't get me wrong; I love Cincinnati and Cincinnatians, and I hope to move back there someday. But the prevailing attitude toward Cleveland and its inhabitants is perplexing, at best.

Quote:
Waynesville. Lebanon used to be the boonies, but not anymore. Waynesville really isn't the boonies much, either; a lot of people from Dayton wanting that small-town life have moved there.

Quote:
Springboro and Waynesville.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, especially when you tell people you're from Cleveland. They'll make jokes and some will blurt outright insults, but keep in mind that most of the people that are talking trash about Cleveland have never been there. You'll get a lot of "You're not from around here, are you?" for awhile.
I especially attribute this to where the south runs headlong into the north. And then we all have to get along.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:40 PM

372 posts, read 467,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Definitely. Instead of five months of winter, you get five months of summer. Summers are hot and humid and not as breezy as summers along the lake. Summer in Cincinnati is a lot sooner in coming, too, without the lake to cool things down. Winters aren't unpleasant, for the most part, and it snows appreciably maybe once a year, twice at most. The natives are so afraid of snow that they want no contact with it whatsoever, and that includes shoveling their walks. When it snows in Cincinnati, it's a great time to go out driving to spin a few donuts!

Don't get me wrong; I love Cincinnati and Cincinnatians, and I hope to move back there someday. But the prevailing attitude toward Cleveland and its inhabitants is perplexing, at best.

Waynesville. Lebanon used to be the boonies, but not anymore. Waynesville really isn't the boonies much, either; a lot of people from Dayton wanting that small-town life have moved there.

Springboro and Waynesville.
Do people in Cincinnati really bash Cleveland? LOL people in Cleveland could careless about Cincinnati (act as if we are two different states basically), and certainly don't give it the time of day. This is the first I have heard about Cincy's bad taste in Metro Cleveland, and I have heard it quite often on CD.

I know that Cincinnati and Columbus almost shut down compared to Cleveland when it comes to snow. So ohiosgreat, show them "southerners" how to drive in the snow.

Good luck on the move, Cincinnati is a great city and region!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Do people in Cincinnati really bash Cleveland?
It's more of a Browns vs. Bengals thing.

Really, what I said about southern culture pervading south western Ohio fits the bill. It's humorous to a southerner to say something like:

Quote:
"You're not from around here, are you?"
Kentuckians are all over the place.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:04 PM

42,013 posts, read 75,423,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Do people in Cincinnati really bash Cleveland?
That was my experience when I moved to Cincinnati. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Kentuckians are all over the place.
As long as they bring bourbon ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati