Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 04:26 PM

31 posts, read 98,020 times

Advertisements

Looking for some fun, different Halloween activities or events to do this month
with my kids!!

Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 AM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corie View Post
with my kids!!

Any suggestions??
An Autumn tradition in my family was a trip out to Rouster's Apple House in Milford where we'd load up on apples for apple pie and apple crisp as well as pick pumpkins in the field. You could often find many other Autumn favorites such as decorative indian corn and some berries.

It looks as though the apples have been discontinued but the berries may still be available. Perhaps give them a call to see what's going on these days. I do recall they gave hay rides for kids but I'm not sure if this is still something they offer.

Rouster’s Apple House closes after 72 years | Consider This Clermont

Ohio Apple Association

https://sites.google.com/site/roustersapplehouse/

Old 10-14-2012, 06:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
S similar operation is Irons Fruit Farm on Stubbs Mills Rd in Lebanon. All varieties of fall fruit, apple cider, pumpkins, hayrides, etc.

Also a favorite with the kids is Kings Island Halloween Haunt Many of the smaller kid oriented rides are kept open, but the focus is the special just for Halloween created attractions. This year the Dinosaur Walk is part of the whole spectacle, but I believe it involves and extra fee.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Don't expect to find the type of Halloween activities you would have found around here even as recent as 25 years ago. Everything is geared to the big corporation interests. Kings Island charges entrance fees which I would never pay, yet they survive. The smaller, farm based operations, are dying on the vine along with their pumpkins.

If Irons Fruit Farm proves to be a bust, you may try Hidden Valley Fruit Farm on Route 48 noth of Lebanon. Hopefully someone is still in business and offering the type of fall experience you are looking for. But I will not bet on it.

For the last number of years there have been a large number of haunted houses, sponsored by a variety of organizations, spread around the area. But come to think of it I have not noticed many ads this year and we are within 2-weeks of Halloween. Maybe they have run their course too. Volunteer help may be harder to come by.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Don't expect to find the type of Halloween activities you would have found around here even as recent as 25 years ago. Everything is geared to the big corporation interests. Kings Island charges entrance fees which I would never pay, yet they survive. The smaller, farm based operations, are dying on the vine along with their pumpkins.

If Irons Fruit Farm proves to be a bust, you may try Hidden Valley Fruit Farm on Route 48 noth of Lebanon. Hopefully someone is still in business and offering the type of fall experience you are looking for. But I will not bet on it.

For the last number of years there have been a large number of haunted houses, sponsored by a variety of organizations, spread around the area. But come to think of it I have not noticed many ads this year and we are within 2-weeks of Halloween. Maybe they have run their course too. Volunteer help may be harder to come by.
Speaking of haunted houses, the Loveland Castle used to have one each year. I always found it to be a fun destination to go with friends as an adolescent.

To the OP, if you're a fan of the foliage you may want to take a drive down Rt 52 along the Ohio River. My parents used to pile me and my sister in the car and drive along this route to see the leaves and scenery along the river. I don't recall us having any destination in particular but Ripley seemed like as good of a spot to turn around as any and if you wish to drive a bit farther there's a cool bridge at Maysville that cuts into the Kentucky hillside. Can't recall if there were many activities but taking a drive in the Autumn and grabbing a late lunch in one of these small towns is a childhood memory I look back upon favorably.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Irons and Hidden Valley are still going strong KJ, but neither really ever advertise that I can see.

Hidden Vally - I only find their festival days by accident, when I'm heading up 48 towards centerville and get stuck in traffic for one of their fall days.

Irons, well I only drive by occasionally, but yep - still going strong. Were at the apple fest and have plenty to offer.

There are a few other places offering Halloween type activities, but most of the haunted houses seem very adult oriented (land of illusions, etc..).. I saw something about a "Parky's" or something like that on the news...

check the Western-Star or Middletown journal, they'll usually have a listing.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 AM

Follow the local papers, they will usually contain the most events of this type. For the northern suburbs, the Pulse-Journal has a lot of listings. This is their website.

News for Mason, West Chester, Deerfield Township, Liberty... | www.pulsejournal.com

Old 10-20-2012, 03:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corie View Post
with my kids!!

Any suggestions??
Schappenacher's Farm off Rt. 48 in Mason is fun if you have kids. Free hayride to the pumpkin patch, corn maze, petting zoos and a covered barn with pumpkin pie and hot apple cider. You can also pick up a fresh turkey that's killed the day before Thanksgiving.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Schappenacher's Farm off Rt. 48 in Mason is fun if you have kids. Free hayride to the pumpkin patch, corn maze, petting zoos and a covered barn with pumpkin pie and hot apple cider. You can also pick up a fresh turkey that's killed the day before Thanksgiving.
It's been a while since I've spent any time with the crew at Green Acres in Indian Hill but if anyone knows, can you still get a turkey from them for Thanksgiving?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
There is always the HallZOOween at the Cincinnati Zoo.

HallZOOween - The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati