Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:39 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
I honestly think the majority of mt auburn residents are largely apathetic to most issues of development. And while I may not like the decision to tear it down I can't entirely fault them. What is the demand for apts in that part of my auburn? And does the building even lend itself to an easy modern day conversion? As far as glencoe goes while it's unique I honestly can't see many situations where its turned into market rate residential. If it was up on the hill yes, down in the hole where it is i just don't see it happening.
Yeah, where on earth would you find demand for high-end, extremely unique, historically significant townhomes? Who would want high-end urban living? Hmmmm. You'd need someone fairly young with a good income; someone that worked close by. Maybe someone that didn't have time for yard maintenance or a long commute. I can't think of anyone fitting that profile, at least not nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,346 times
It's too bad this never got built:

Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM

112 posts, read 152,531 times
If the city wants to stop such insanity as this they need to overhaul the property tax code to stop rewarding the demolition of buildings. Currently, replacing a building (even a run down one) with a parking lot or just empty ground leads to a much lower value assessment and thus a lower property tax bill. Of course the same amount of infrastructure still needs to be maintained to support that vacant lot, but now there's less tax base to pay for it. This sort of system is self-destructive and needs to change. Maybe then we wouldn't need so many historic district designations, design review boards, and community council interventions if the financial incentive for the destruction of property was removed.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Yeah, where on earth would you find demand for high-end, extremely unique, historically significant townhomes? Who would want high-end urban living? Hmmmm. You'd need someone fairly young with a good income; someone that worked close by. Maybe someone that didn't have time for yard maintenance or a long commute. I can't think of anyone fitting that profile, at least not nearby.
Are you trying to suggest that UC should house their basketball recruits there? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of keeping the 'income' secret?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 AM

800 posts, read 950,774 times
Kjbrill, you are wrongModerator cut: personal

>The number of hospitals on Pill Hill have reduced.

Whatever. Since you never come into town, I guess I have to tell you that there are no less than two huge tower cranes over UC and Children's right now, another at Christ Hospital. The VA is building a new front annex and a new parking garage. Good Sam just finished a big 10-story expansion a few months ago. The city hospitals are growing -- all of them.

>Bethesda Oak is no more.

Bethesda is now the Children's Oak campus. They just finished converting the Vernon Manor into office space for Children's, so it's grown even more.

>Jewish moved to Kenwood.

The old Jewish hospital has not been torn down. It is also medical office space.

>Deaconness converted to other uses.

It is still all medical office space.

>Those remaining are expanding to keep pace with the need.

???? Yeah, all the old people who never gotten their heart rate over 100 because they've driven everywhere for the past 60 years.

>You basically have Christ, Good Samaritan, University, and Childrens. I do not blame Christ for protecting both their position to expand and also provide adequate patient parkaing.

Your generation scrapped public transportation. Christ would not be tearing down that neighborhood for parking if everyone could get there on a bus or train. In the late 90s' they did preliminary enginnering on a subway tunnel under Mt. Auburn with a station for the hospital. All the old people voted against Metro Moves so it didn't happen. Now Christ Hospital wants the streetcar line extended to their hospital, again possibly with a tunnel.

>The suburban hospitals have cut deeply into the Pill Hill operations with their more convenient locations.

No they haven't. The city hospitals are bigger than ever.

>I try and avoid Good Samaritan because I thoroughly dislike that narrow and difficult to negotitate parking garage.

Your generation is full of excuses for avoiding the city. You pride yourselves on winning the war and now you grumble about parking garages with pillars that are too close or whatever.

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2012 at 03:36 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM

307 posts, read 543,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Not disagreeing in spirit but if the location is a bit of an island. If you want all those things you list you may also want the ability to walk to a bar/restaurant/store and you'd have none of those options at this location. Due to christs continued growth along auburn I don't see much potential for this either.i wish there was further demand in the area for high end and I like to think in the next 10-20 years I'll see the view streets west of sycamore re-populated and rebuilt but I don't think we're there yet. I guess also in my mind that seems like a more likely location for new high end building.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

>You basically have Christ, Good Samaritan, University, and Childrens. I do not blame Christ for protecting both their position to expand and also provide adequate patient parkaing.

Your generation scrapped public transportation. Christ would not be tearing down that neighborhood for parking if everyone could get there on a bus or train. In the late 90s' they did preliminary enginnering on a subway tunnel under Mt. Auburn with a station for the hospital. All the old people voted against Metro Moves so it didn't happen. Now Christ Hospital wants the streetcar line extended to their hospital, again possibly with a tunnel.

This is definitely interesting and I'd love to see it. But how would a tunnel work? Wouldn't a tunnel from downtown/OTR to virtually anywhere in Uptown have to climb with the hill to avoid Uptown stations being so deep underground (like the Rosslyn and National Zoo stations in Washington) that they'd be a pain to build/access?

Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
jmecklenborg...

And you read what you want to read. I said the number of hospitals on Pill Hill have reduced which is a fact. Just because former hospitals are being used for medical offices, etc. doesn't make them hospitals.

I also said those remaining are expanding to keep pace with the need. So you have to come back with the cranes currently over University and Childrens and Good Sam's recent expansion which is exactly what I said.

In the rush to condem someone else's statements your reading comprehension becomes scrambled.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
I am not personally familiar with the area discussed by the OP, but I am reminded of a discussion I was in with several architects who specialize in historic restorations. The conclusion was that "Just because it's OLD doesn't necessarily make it HISTORIC. And just because it's old and possibly historic doesn't necessarily make it VIABLE for renovating or repurposing.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I am not personally familiar with the area discussed by the OP, but I am reminded of a discussion I was in with several architects who specialize in historic restorations. The conclusion was that "Just because it's OLD doesn't necessarily make it HISTORIC. And just because it's old and possibly historic doesn't necessarily make it VIABLE for renovating or repurposing.
Hey, you will be invalidted because you are not walking the party line. There is no deviation. If you deviate you will be ostracised. There is no room for constructive criticsm, in fact no room for criticism at all. Once you understand that you will be in tune with what this forum is all about. Until then you will be the minority. Nevermind the majority is still what the majority in the suburbs think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati