Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:34 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I've been around the area on foot (also worked at the clinic at the Free Store for a while).

If you are talking buildings, the Drop Inn Center always looked pretty nice to me, particularly compared to something that looks like it's about to collapse, like Music Hall.

If you are talking things like landscaping, Pat Clifford seriously liked the idea of planting flowers.

If you are talking about people you think are pretty low on the scale of human values, well, how much closer can you get to the police department than where the Drop Inn Center is?

So, are you really talking about the Drop In Center or is it maybe ReStoc?
I'm not talking about the Drop Inn Center. I'm talking about Buddy Grey and how he destroyed Over-the-Rhine.

I'm talking about how he forced low-income housing and social services into Over-the-Rhine and forced good people out. I'm talking about how as a result of this "strategy" Over-the-Rhine became one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in America. I'm talking about how he fought people who wanted to save Over-the-Rhine's gorgeous architecture. I'm talking about how as a result of Buddy Grey's "strategy", people in the suburbs call the city is s*** hole, while at the same time calling for the city to be "the city with a big heart."

Cincinnati is well rid of him.

PS: You're off your rocker if you think Music Hall looks like it's going to fall down. But then again, I guess that's what happens when you haven't been in Cincinnati in over a year...

Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
CinciFan...

Perhaps Music Hall does not look like it is going to fall down, but it is far from attractive either. Every time I drive by it I think wouldn't it be great if some of those bricked up windows were at least restored to their original appearance. Even if they just had glass restored to them with backlights due to alterations to the interior it would be a huge improvement. As it stands Music Hall is rather an ugly building.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:20 PM

4,483 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
If you are talking buildings, the Drop Inn Center always looked pretty nice to me, particularly compared to something that looks like it's about to collapse, like Music Hall
I guess it's all in one's perspective whether that cinder block POS called the drop in center looks nice. But to draw a negative comparison with something architecturally significant as Music Hall is grossly inaccurate.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I guess it's all in one's perspective whether that cinder block POS called the drop in center looks nice. But to draw a negative comparison with something architecturally significant as Music Hall is grossly inaccurate.

Music Hall may be architecturally significant. But the various modifications to its exterior have done nothing to enhance the appeal of the building. I still say remove all of the bricked in windows, restore their glass, and let the building appear as originally designed. Then you have something truly architecturally significant. If alterations to the interior have blocked the windows, OK. At least put a dummy facade behind the windows. But let the building appear as originally designed. I cannot believe those who are interested in historical architecture do not look at this building and say it has been bastardized.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:37 PM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Quote:
Perhaps Music Hall does not look like it is going to fall down, but it is far from attractive either. Every time I drive by it I think wouldn't it be great if some of those bricked up windows were at least restored to their original appearance. Even if they just had glass restored to them with backlights due to alterations to the interior it would be a huge improvement. As it stands Music Hall is rather an ugly building.
Its a beautiful building that's had ugly things done to it. Though there are plans in the works to fix the mistakes made in the 70s to save energy (windows are way more efficient now) and modernize it.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Its a beautiful building that's had ugly things done to it. Though there are plans in the works to fix the mistakes made in the 70s to save energy (windows are way more efficient now) and modernize it.
About time someone woke up and realized they have decimated a beautiful building. Do ypu want to argue the pictures taken when it was first built and today look like a palace against a hog wearhouse? It is time those advocating for the future of Music Hall also fight for it to be restored to its original grandeur. If you want a truly significant cultural place to define Cincinnati, this is the place to start.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM

4,483 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Even with ugly things done to it, it's still an awesome structure. I have no doubt it will be restored at some point.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
So, you found a relatively good up-angle picture -- up-angle always makes something look impressive.

At least there it manages to look rather like an old big city train station -- 1940's or before if it weren't for the cars.

There are some beautiful buildings in Over-The-Rhine; I just don't happen to think Music Hall is one of them.

I will admit I like stone and stucco more than red brick. I'll see if I can find a picture with a link.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 10-29-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
How terrible to mis-lead children.

Moeller Pastoral Ministry ~ Service ~ ReSTOC

Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Music Hall may be architecturally significant. But the various modifications to its exterior have done nothing to enhance the appeal of the building. I still say remove all of the bricked in windows, restore their glass, and let the building appear as originally designed. Then you have something truly architecturally significant. If alterations to the interior have blocked the windows, OK. At least put a dummy facade behind the windows. But let the building appear as originally designed. I cannot believe those who are interested in historical architecture do not look at this building and say it has been bastardized.
I think it is a gorgeous building, but you're right. It would look a lot better with all of the windows opened up. Thankfully that's exactly what the upcoming renovation is going to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati