Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 AM

13 posts, read 20,916 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are relocating to the Cincinnati area next summer, and need a good public high school. My son is currently a freshman. He is a wrestler and track runner. He also plays in the school strings orchestra. My main concern is finding a school that welcomes new students and has lots of folks relocating to that area. Thanks! PS - I also have a current 8th grader and a fourth grader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nindels3 View Post
Hi, We are relocating to the Cincinnati area next summer, and need a good public high school. My son is currently a freshman. He is a wrestler and track runner. He also plays in the school strings orchestra. My main concern is finding a school that welcomes new students and has lots of folks relocating to that area. Thanks! PS - I also have a current 8th grader and a fourth grader.
Just some quick leads: within the City of Cincinnati, Walnut Hills High School and the School for the Creative and Performing Arts (both require passing an entrance exam.). The Wyoming, Sycamore and Indian Hills districts in Ohio and the Beechwood district just across the river in Kentucky are all well regarded. The Lakota district (Ohio) may be slightly lower rated but has a good music program and possibly would have more newcomers than the others mentioned. Best wishes for your move.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:20 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The School for the Creative and Performing Arts (both require passing an entrance exam.).
This is wrong. SCPA does not require an entrance exam but an audition. You can try and say that is a type of exam to be snarky, but one is a written test and the other is a performance in front of judges. Big difference.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
I think we forgot to ask what do you prefer urban or suburban living? Cincinnati has good high schools in both categories.

Also, if your freshman is both a wrestler and a track runner, as well as a musician in the school's string orchestra, it seems he wants an all around opportunity, not just a one dimensional school.

So I am going to put in a pitch right now for the schools where I live - Mason.

Just a week ago Mason came in 2nd in the Ohio State Div I Cross Country Track Tournament. Yes, 2nd, St Xavier took first. But 2nd in the state is not all that bad.

In October 2011, Mason's marching band finish 4th in the super regionals of the Bands of America competition in Atlanta Georgia. Then in December they finished 10th in the BOA finals in Indianapolis. Yes, just 10th, but in the entire country we will take it.

On March 1, 2011, the Mason Symphonic Band and the Wind Symphony traveled to NYC as one of only two schools selected to perform in the Best Of the Midwest
concert in Carnegie Hall.

In May 2012 it was announced the MHS marching band had been awarded the 2011 prestigious Sudler Shield. According to director Robert Bass, "This international award is THE highest honor a marching band program can receive."

In 2008, the MHS Wind Symphony received the Sudler Flag of Honor. As the recipient of both the Sudler Flag and Shield, Mason is now one of just fourteen schools across the world, and the only Ohio band, to win both awards. Bass becomes one of only eight directors to receive both awards.

I would say our music program here in Mason is OK.

My middle daughter was awarded the John Phillips Sousa award during her time at Mason. She played trombone in the marching band, saxophone in the jazz band, and oboe in both the symphonic band and the orchestra. Her sister was a percussionist, playing the quads in marching band, anything and everything in the orchestra, and the sets in the jazz band.

I can attest from experience my daughters thoroughly enjoyed their musical experience at Mason, and they are both active with their instruments.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
This is wrong. SCPA does not require an entrance exam but an audition. You can try and say that is a type of exam to be snarky, but one is a written test and the other is a performance in front of judges. Big difference.

audition (ɔːˈdɪʃən)

— n
1. a test at which a performer or musician is asked to demonstrate his ability for a particular role, etc
2. the act, sense, or power of hearing

— vb
3. to judge by means of or be tested in an audition

[C16: from Latin audītiō a hearing, from audīre to hear]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source

Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
audition (ɔːˈdɪʃən)

— n
1. a test at which a performer or musician is asked to demonstrate his ability for a particular role, etc
2. the act, sense, or power of hearing

— vb
3. to judge by means of or be tested in an audition

[C16: from Latin audītiō a hearing, from audīre to hear]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Seriously. That was the dumbest post I have seen from you yet techno.

For those interested in what it actually takes to get into SCPA from 4th grade onwards here are some links.

SCPA
http://www.scpak12.org/resources/upl...rades_4-12.pdf

The School for Creative & Performing Arts

Walnut Hills
Walnut Hills High School Cincinnati, Ohio 45207

As I said earlier. It's inaccurate to say SCPA has an entrance exam because an entrance exam is a written academic test. Walnut Hills does have an entrance exam.

But as for SCPA:

Quote:
Incoming students entering the 4th-6th grade will audition in creative writing, dance, drama, instrumental music, vocal music and visual art. Incoming students entering 7th-12th grade may audition in up to three areas but are only required to audition in one area.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Thank you very much! We prefer suburban areas because it seems the best public schools are usually there. Also, it seems most folks relocate to the suburbs, so meeting new people may be a little easier for the kids.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 AM

Mason sounds nice! Do you know anything about the Anderson area?

Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nindels3 View Post
Thank you very much! We prefer suburban areas because it seems the best public schools are usually there. Also, it seems most folks relocate to the suburbs, so meeting new people may be a little easier for the kids.
Well, it could be accurately stated that Cincinnati's suburban districts out perform CPS on the district level. But CPS has schools that are recognized on a national level for performance. And example is Walnut Hills:

Quote:
Walnut Hills High School is nationally recognized for consistent academic excellence and is considered one of America’s top public high schools. In 2011, Walnut Hills was ranked 65th in U.S. News and World Report’s Top 100 Best High Schools. A classical, six-year college-preparatory school, Walnut Hills offers a rigorous advanced and accelerated curriculum, including 31 Advanced Placement courses — the largest selection in the nation. Walnut Hills has been recognized as a national model for diverse, high-quality schools that prepare students well for college. Walnut Hills’ students consistently score above the national mean on the SAT and ACT college-entrance exams.
another is SCPA:

Quote:
SCPA is a premier nationally and internationally recognized preprofessional arts-training program that provides an environment aimed at developing the artistic and academic potential of each student. Comprehensive studies in the arts — including creative writing, dance, drama, instrumental music, technical theater, visual arts and vocal music — prepare students to professionally pursue arts majors and academic success after graduation. SCPA students consistently score above average on national achievement tests. A rigorous, college-preparatory curriculum includes challenging work in core academic subjects.

Acceptance to high school grades is based on a successful live audition, scheduled after an application form is submitted. Call 363-8029 to begin the application process or visit The School for Creative & Performing Arts.
Not to mention some people prefer educational styles, such as Montessori, and Cincinnati has these as well. So while I am not recommending you to go where you don't want to be, I feel credit should be given where it's due. There are many other high schools that are desirable as well within CPS district. Some, obviously are not. To note though, high schools in Cincinnati are city wide and not limited to neighborhood boundaries.

I have a child in SCPA and learned that a lot of kids come to SCPA out of district from the suburbs because it's such an excellent school with a very unique environment for kids to learn.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati