Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Yep, it says it all about book retailing in the traditional sense. All other retailers face the same threat from the internet. Best Buy is nearing extinction, too. Grocers are about the only type of retail that hasn't been hit hard by it....but they're facing their own set of problems.
I appreciate you taking the time to get me in the loop. I usually get my computer gear from Newegg since I build custom build my computers. I'll read around a little today to get up to speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 AM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times
What is left in Tower Place today? I know I Love Cincinnati Shoppe is still there, TJ Maxx, Gold Star, and Slammin' Burger. Is there still a Subway there? I believe there is an art gallery too.

Here's a story from earlier in the year about turning Tower Place into a, "startup mall".

Tower Place pitched as ?startup mall? - Business Courier

Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Yep, it says it all about book retailing in the traditional sense. All other retailers face the same threat from the internet. Best Buy is nearing extinction, too. Grocers are about the only type of retail that hasn't been hit hard by it....but they're facing their own set of problems.
Grocers enjoy one position other retailers do not. Their products are bulk. Just look at the quantity you bring home from the next visit to the grocery store. Thus it not conducive to shipping or home delivery. There is too much bulk and weight involved compared to value. I have a cousin who left a very good job at J.C. Penny's some years ago for a position in a startup up home-delivery grocery operation. They were convinced online ordering of groceries was the wave of the future. However, once the customers got the actual product and then the bill they went down the tubes faster than a water park ride. My cousin was lucky, J.C. Penny hired her back.

For other products I do agree. Online ordering is just increasing. My wife and I order just about everything outside of groceries online. Clothes, definitely. Furniture items, definitely. Not having to maintain the cost of a retail store definitely favors the online sellers. Their discount of the price plus the lack of sales tax definitely counteracts any shipping charges. But I have to believe there is a comeuppence in all of this. Not charging for sales tax is a loophole which will be closed. But the burden has to be placed on the seller, not the purchaser. Simple method, where is the product being shipped to? It is then up to the seller to collect the appropriate sales tax for the transaction. The sellers will resist as that is an accounting nightmare for them, which will definitely increase their costs. But the fact is nothing comes free, there is a cost of doing business.

As time goes on, I do feel online sales will become more and more significant. The cost of maintaining retail store outlets is just increasing. As a consumer I could care less where I purchase. The cost of going to a physical retail strore keeps increasing, not withstanding the harassment of even having to deal there in the first place. The employees are often rude and treat you like you should welcome the fact they are there to serve you rather than the other way around.

The ability to produce very accurate and graphical depictions of items available for online sales is changing several industries. Those who are adopting a very liberal return policy in case you make a mistake in my mind will be the winners in the long run. If they remove any concern you might have over a purchase with a liberal return policy, why not?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
The bookselling business has an extra layer of vulnerability, because probably many of the already limited number of those lunchtime browsers who were actually thinking about buying a book went back to their computers and bought it online after just having a look at it in the bookstore. The last thing I'd do would be to try to make a go of a bookstore in the already challenging retail environment of most downtown areas.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM

307 posts, read 543,824 times
Lets not forget about the Ohio bookstore on main st. If you've never been check it out ASAP!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Lets not forget about the Ohio bookstore on main st. If you've never been check it out ASAP!
Now that I can work with. Thanks for the recommendation!

http://www.ohiobookstore.net/

Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Quote:
Wow this is really bad but i never even knew we had a downtown mall.
I didn't learn about it until after a year of living in Cincinnati! It was helpful for a year or two until it started to decline - way more convenient to the University than any of the other malls. At least when I was living there it wasn't that well advertised - though I was a college student who didn't watch much tv and spend a lot of my time studying.

Also, its kind of sad that Cincinnati was so late to catch on to urbanism, it would have been awesome to be at a downtown Borders there. Man, I do miss those stores - they were more fun to browse and grab a coffee at than to actually buy anything - though I understand why they've gone under.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Also, its kind of sad that Cincinnati was so late to catch on to urbanism, it would have been awesome to be at a downtown Borders there. Man, I do miss those stores - they were more fun to browse and grab a coffee at than to actually buy anything - though I understand why they've gone under.
Yes, if you don't buy anything they will go under. They are not just there for your entertainment.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
I used to goto Borders and Barnes and Nobles back in the day. I used to love to go there, grab a coffee, browse and read a while. Most times I would buy computer reference books. Anymore, I just get an ebook or use Kindle, Amazon, etc. Book sellers have taken the biggest hit because of the internet. I just simply don't by traditional books any longer.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Quote:
Yes, if you don't buy anything they will go under. They are not just there for your entertainment.
Which is why I worded it that way Everyone I talked to who used to work at Borders understands why it went under.

Still would have liked the experience at least - those places caused a lot of street activity around them. I did buy a few things there too, better selection than B&N.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati