Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Is the serving temp of the chili above the point where bacteria will not grow? Keeping it warm is one thing that could lead to contamination since food borne bacteria thrive in a warm environment. But if it is kept at a rather hot temp which I would guess to be at least 160 degrees would likely not only inhibit bacterial growth but also kill it and keep people from getting sick.

If you drop ground beef into boiling water, it rapidly gets to the required temperature >165F very quickly.

Most of the chili parlors in Cincinnati, Milwaukee, etc., keep their chili in crocks around 175F until service.

I really wonder if most of the chili at Gold Star and Skyline is produced in a commissary and delivered frozen to the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I really wonder if most of the chili at Gold Star and Skyline is produced in a commissary and delivered frozen to the stores.
I think you can bet on that.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
If you drop ground beef into boiling water, it rapidly gets to the required temperature >165F very quickly.

Most of the chili parlors in Cincinnati, Milwaukee, etc., keep their chili in crocks around 175F until service.

That temp will most certainly kill any bacteria that tries to grow on the meat. Good to know. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
BTW my definition of a noodle is a flat sided pasta. Spaghetti is round.
You must not be of Italian heritage.

Quote:
Oh, yeah.

The Gold Star commissary used to be in Mt. Washington; a friend of mine lived across the street. Some days the aroma was ... not so bad. Other days, it was horrid. Dunno if it's still there.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You must not be of Italian heritage.

Oh, yeah.

The Gold Star commissary used to be in Mt. Washington; a friend of mine lived across the street. Some days the aroma was ... not so bad. Other days, it was horrid. Dunno if it's still there.

I think that they moved their commissary down to the Lunken Airport area. AT least that is where there headquarters is now located. (Your friend lived on Salvador Ave.?)

It was there. They closed down that building maybe ten years ago and built a new one on the site of the old Hardees/Burger Chef.

I am so old that I actually remember heading down to Hamburger Heaven for the chili ... back in 1964-65. Food for a family of six for $6-8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati