Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Carols pub is quite literally the only thing left from that. Most of the migration assimilated into the culture - you just don't encounter it very often.
My Dad lived in Uptown during the 60s when that area was at the height of the hillbilly haven era. There were some other enclaves as well: the folk singer John Prine grew up in Maywood, after his parents moved there from the Kentucky coal country.

But you're Carol's Pub is literally all thats left.

"Next of Kin" with Patrick Swayze is a movie that highlights that Chicago subculture at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM

84 posts, read 160,863 times
In response to kjbrill,

I made two responses earlier that get at some of your questions but they probably got lost in the middle of all the other hubbub!

To answer your question about why cincinnati? simple... money and career advancement! And if it doesn't work out, I'm still at that stage where I can somewhat easily move.

Regarding the 3 grocery stores in the area, there's Dominick's (your standard kroger type grocery store), there's fox and obel (your standard upscale overpriced grocery store), and there's treasure island, which is a full service grocery store that primarily serves the building that it's in, but it's less than a block away. it's really nice when you're making something at 10pm and you find that you don't have an ingredient and you can get in 10 minutes. or if you want to make pancakes, you can get the mix in 2 seconds. etc.

In addition, there's a 7-11 in the building and a walgreens down the block. Then there's the movie theater around the corner, a million restaurants (although I usually just go to chipotle), and then all the bars and clubs 10-15 minutes away... blah blah blah. everyone knows this.

I wrote a couple of paragraphs about my perspective earlier. But basically I don't need to be in the middle of the urban nightlife. That being said I'm still single I don't want to be in the middle of suburbia. I'm a youngish nonreligious liberal minded professional who would like to socialize with other like minded individuals.

Yes, I've read that cincinnati is a conservative town, but so are most places actually once you exit the city center, even chicago. I was shocked at the number of people who enjoyed country music around here (waiting for the flames! ) Plus, since it's a metro of 2 million, I've got to think there are enough guys with a similar perspective to mine. In fact, none of the people I interviewed with were really conservative although I did get a church going vibe from the secretaries and other support staff.

All the suggestions that were offered in this thread are appealing to me, and i'm going to look into them, so thanks again everyone. The one thing I was kind of hoping for was what I mentioned in the original question. However, if that's not available it's not a deal breaker. but it's too late now, since I've committed!

Last edited by det2011sb; 01-22-2013 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by det2011sb View Post
Yes, I've read that cincinnati is a conservative town, but so are most places actually once you exit the city center, even chicago....
The city itself is largely liberal but is surrounded by conservatives. Prospect Hill, OTR, Mount Adams, CUF, Clifton Gaslight are all areas that are liberal, and have a good mix of people. You won't have any trouble fitting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by det2011sb View Post
All the suggestions that were offered in this thread are appealing to me, and i'm going to look into them, so thanks again everyone. The one thing I was kind of hoping for was what I mentioned in the original question. However, if that's not available it's not a deal breaker. but it's too late now, since I've committed!
Take it from a former New Yorker, Cincinnati is slower than what you will find in Chicago. However, if you come in with an open mind and learn to appreciate Cincinnati for what it is and has to offer, you won't be disappointed. And Cincinnati is only getting better by the day.

And congrats again!! I hope everything works out well for you.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 PM

577 posts, read 1,281,328 times
The people that I know that live downtown usually pick up their day to day essentials (toothpaste, etc.) from CVS or Walgreens and make a trek to Findlay Market for fresh produce. There are a handful of independently owned convenience stores scattered around downtown as well. I can get some recommendations if you need them.

Cincinnati isn't as conservative as it once was but if drinking a beer and talking politics with like minded individuals is your game, then check out this group sometime - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dlcinci/?fref=ts

Welcome to Cincinnati. Once you have settled in and have any questions at all about where to eat or things to do, make sure to stop in.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
The people that I know that live downtown usually pick up their day to day essentials (toothpaste, etc.) from CVS or Walgreens and make a trek to Findlay Market for fresh produce. There are a handful of independently owned convenience stores scattered around downtown as well. I can get some recommendations if you need them.

Cincinnati isn't as conservative as it once was but if drinking a beer and talking politics with like minded individuals is your game, then check out this group sometime - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dlcinci/?fref=ts

Welcome to Cincinnati. Once you have settled in and have any questions at all about where to eat or things to do, make sure to stop in.
My days of going out drinking are long over, but thanks for posting that link. What a great idea! I still routinely experience the dismay of being in a social setting where I feel forced to listen to people rant, trash and disrespect individuals with my political views, without even offering the courtesy of inquiring in advance whether I agree with them. It's definitely something that causes me to have negative feelings about living in this area. Where I lived before, people were generally more polite regardless of their politics.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 AM

549 posts, read 849,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Take it from a former New Yorker, Cincinnati is slower than what you will find in Chicago. However, if you come in with an open mind and learn to appreciate Cincinnati for what it is and has to offer, you won't be disappointed. And Cincinnati is only getting better by the day.
I agree completely. I think it's similar to New Orleans in that regard. If you can find energy in the laissez-faire atmosphere of the Big Easy, you can find passion in the aufgelockert lifestyle of the Queen City. Prost!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
^ ()!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Hey guys, use your Google and determine where Streeterfville is. The OP may be giving us a dust job. But if he is actually living in Streeterville, that is the Gold Coast of Chicago. My only equivalernce would be the high-rise condos across the river in NKY where you can drop a cool quarter mil or more on a condo.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM

477 posts, read 665,014 times
Streeterville is expensive, but not quite as expensive as the gold coast. It was formerly industrial because its right where the Chicago Sanatary and Ship Canal (the canal that connects the Gulf to the Atlantic through a series of waterways) lets out. Literally all of it has been built in the last 15 years or so.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM

84 posts, read 160,863 times
hi kjbrill, i don't know what you're insuating. are you saying that i'm not from streeterville. I guess I have no way to prove either way, but I don't think I've misled anyone. I thought my original request was straightforward.

Also, I think kjbrill may have misunderstood my request. In no way am I trying to recreate the chicago lifestyle. I was just wondering if there was a neighborhood in the city itself with a full service grocery store that I could walk to from an apartment, condo, whatever.

I thought most people's replies to my original question were very helpful, and I thank everyone again for their replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati