Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,819,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Doubtful. SCPA is also a high school, as is Walnut Hills and Withrow. I doubt there is anything in Anderson that is comparable.

I am not sure how auditioning or taking an entrance exam is a bad thing, unless one is worried their kid won't cut the mustard.
Wrong, SCPA is a specialty school, not a general high school. I just read its own Vision and Mission statements. A great school perhaps, but one drawing from all over the district. And Withrow? where did that come from?

The schools I referenced are Anderson and Turpin high schools in the Forest Hill District. They have had high academic rankings for years and years.

As far as worrying their kid won't cut the mustard, I have a grandson currently undergoing ADHD testing. If it turns out he is in that catagory where is the specialty school which will insure his having a fair shot at life?

Some of this Magnet School ballyhoo to me is nothing more than a way to circumvent how money is spent within the public school system. And I am glad your son is doing well in SPCA so this is not personal. I am only saying the playing field needs to be more level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,245,318 times
Ya, ya.

Back on topic: Mt. Washington vs. Pleasant Ridge vs. Norwood

Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,819,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Ya, ya.

Back on topic: Mt. Washington vs. Pleasant Ridge vs. Norwood
Don't disagree. Pleasant Ridge is likely the best. When I was young, Pleasant Ridge was old, now I am old so Pleasant Ridge is really old. There was a period when I thought it was going defunct. But a few sections of the Ridge have some beautiful houses which seem to be able to withstand the test of time. They really help uphold the entire neighborhood. If I were placing a bet it would be on Pleasant Ridge.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Don't disagree. Pleasant Ridge is likely the best. When I was young, Pleasant Ridge was old, now I am old so Pleasant Ridge is really old. There was a period when I thought it was going defunct. But a few sections of the Ridge have some beautiful houses which seem to be able to withstand the test of time. They really help uphold the entire neighborhood. If I were placing a bet it would be on Pleasant Ridge.
Their business district wins me over. You already mentioned the homes being beautiful. There seem to be a lot of apartments along Montgomery, though I am not sure they are a drag on the area. Pleasant Ridge for me too.

Norwood is nice, but their business district (while nice) seems to have less character and quaintness than PR.

I really can't say which areas of PR to avoid, but for walkability, I would stay near the business district. It's not jam packed with amenities, but it's very compact and nice. And it has it's own flair. For example, the only Ethiopian restaraunt is there - Emanu. Family owned and very friendly.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,947,710 times
progmac's point was that forest hills is a minor system of 2 high schools and 8 elementary/middle serving one demographic whereas CPS is a major system of 42 elementary schools and 15 high schools serving many different demographics. they're just different. it is like comparing the United States with Luxembourg.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
progmac's point was that forest hills is a minor system of 2 high schools and 8 elementary/middle serving one demographic whereas CPS is a major system of 42 elementary schools and 15 high schools serving many different demographics. they're just different. it is like comparing the United States with Luxembourg.
Very good point. Many of these smaller school disctricts may be "better" than CPS on paper, but then again they have a lot fewer schools. CPS is a large district with a relative number of good performing schools. It's very hard to compare on a district level. The best way I know to compare is choose the school you would be interested in within CPS boundaries and see how it stacks up against one in an area you might choose to live.

Not to mention CPS is now moving towards open enrollment. If there is a school within CPS a person is interested, soon they will be able to send their kids there w/o paying tuition.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-opens-borders

Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,156 times
Topic isn't about school districts which could be an never ending debate. It's about first timer's buying a home.

A starter home is an investment. Many young people are interested in purchasing a home in Pleasant Ridge versus nearby Oakley (which shouldn't be overlooked) because they can get more for their buck. They have had a few episodes on House Hunters featuring this area.

Norwood near Rookwood is a good location since IMHO they have much more of a variety for shopping and the area is growing. Pleasant Ridge has the business district but look at all of the closures over the past few years due to landlord issues (still sad Bill had to close the Hardware store). I can say they have more hair salons than any other place in the Greater Cincinnati Area. I wouldn't pick Pleasant Ridge for the business district.

I can't say much about Mt. Washington as I only know 1 person that lives there.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM

50 posts, read 82,877 times
Concur that Norwood is a good option for OP, particularly the blocks around Floral/Forest Ave and up around Indian Mound. It's not clear how familiar they are with Rookwood, but I would suggest driving around that area during a high traffic time (i.e., Saturday afternoon) just to see what they think before committing to anything. Personally, I wouldn't want to live super close to Rookwood because the traffic would get on my nerves, but people have different tolerances for that.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM

101 posts, read 183,053 times
Thank you all again for all the thoughts... the in-laws keep chiming in about how they're hearing Pleasant Ridge isn't safe and they really want us to move to Mt. Washington (wonder if it has anything to do with them living in Anderson Twp.? ).

My impression is that Mt. W and P-Ridge are similar in that there are areas that are bad (Section 8, drugs, crime, etc.) and should be avoided and other areas that are relatively safe and nice. The biggest difference being that Mt. Washington is more suburban and P-Ridge is a little more urban.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
Thank you all again for all the thoughts... the in-laws keep chiming in about how they're hearing Pleasant Ridge isn't safe and they really want us to move to Mt. Washington (wonder if it has anything to do with them living in Anderson Twp.? ).

My impression is that Mt. W and P-Ridge are similar in that there are areas that are bad (Section 8, drugs, crime, etc.) and should be avoided and other areas that are relatively safe and nice. The biggest difference being that Mt. Washington is more suburban and P-Ridge is a little more urban.
I never really felt unsafe when I have been in Pleasant Ridge. I thought it was a nice area. I am sure there are some crappy apartment buildings in the area, and perhaps that drags on the community somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati