Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, Oxford is pretty rural and a college town. I can understand your concerns. If it's people you want to meet, you can do that no matter where you reside.

You might want to look at areas around the northern part of the I-275 loop. This would be about mid-way between Oxford and downtown. This would reduce your daily commute to about 30 minutes but yet allow you to get to key areas that are hip/ecentric/etc. in less than 30 minutes.

I would recommend looking for groups with similar interests on meetup. (meetup dot com). There are a variety of groups that meet for all sorts of interests. There are some signles groups (singles dot meetup dot com). This in my opinion would be a good resource for starting to network with young people in the area.

Last edited by Cincyfan; 01-31-2013 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: URL didn't work right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM

577 posts, read 1,285,741 times
Northside or Clifton will give you a 45-50 minute commute. I would say Northside.

Route 27 to Oxford has improved over the years but it can be a little rough in parts. Use caution when driving - especially in rain or snow.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 PM

7,085 posts, read 8,985,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Huh? Says someone who lives in Lebanon?
Yeah, it's boring here too, I'm not young and single either so I don't need much to do at night.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,857,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yeah, it's boring here too, I'm not young and single either so I don't need much to do at night.
Isn't it great to not be concerned with requiring access to places where you can network with young professionals, etc? What a pressure as well as pain-in-the-ass. I go up to Bdubs in the late afternoon for a couple of drafts and home by supper. After supper it is watch a little TV and torment the cat. Then it is off to bed with another TV as background. Most boring TV puts us to sleep quickly.

I commuted from Mason to Norwood and then Mason to Mariemont for several years. A cakewalk compared to downtown to Oxford. I will repeat, if you feel compelled to live in the urban environment for various reasons you are working at the wrong place.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,546 times
Thank you for all of the feedback! I have lots of thinking to do, and I'm grateful for all of the tips and advice!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,040,462 times
^ My own welcome to our area, obriensmo. I've been following this thread for awhile w/o commenting, but decided to add another "2-cents" to those forumers who have advised you not to commit to such a long commute. As you've explained, you're seeking a youthful, adventuresome, and meaningful interplay between two very different "entities," i.e., Miami University and Cincinnati, Ohio. Both destinations will be rewarding, but in radically different ways and neither is that near or convenient to each other--that is, if you don't mind the miles, the time, and the risks traveling between them (especially in inclement driving).

Soon enough you will tire of the journey between Oxford and the Queen City, and wonder why you did it to yourself to begin with. No need for that dilemma; both Miami University and Cincinnati will reward you with what you seek, but do chose between the two by leaving that arduous drive between them somewhere else.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,857,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ My own welcome to our area, obriensmo. I've been following this thread for awhile w/o commenting, but decided to add another "2-cents" to those forumers who have advised you not to commit to such a long commute. As you've explained, you're seeking a youthful, adventuresome, and meaningful interplay between two very different "entities," i.e., Miami University and Cincinnati, Ohio. Both destinations will be rewarding, but in radically different ways and neither is that near or convenient to each other--that is, if you don't mind the miles, the time, and the risks traveling between them (especially in inclement driving).

Soon enough you will tire of the journey between Oxford and the Queen City, and wonder why you did it to yourself to begin with. No need for that dilemma; both Miami University and Cincinnati will reward you with what you seek, but do chose between the two by leaving that arduous drive between them somewhere else.
I agree with his summary, not yours. I do thoroughly believe Oxford is a college town and the emphasis is Miami U. But a university consists of at least four populations. The largest (1) is of course the students. Behind them become the educators (professors?) (2) and the administrators (3). I expect the administrators are the smallest number. But then comes (4), the surrounding populace. In Miami's case this is very small as the surrounding populace supports the univesity, plain and simple.

So evaluate the situation. Most of the students will hang around Miami because that is 1) what they know, and 2) what they can afford.

Most of the faculty and administrators will also hang around Miami because that is 1) what they know, and 2) what they can afford. Sure they could live further away, but in their academic minds does this make sense - NO!

I have to believe not everybody working for Miami U is an old fuddy-duddy. There must be people in your age bracket. To me is sems like you are trying to escape your working environment before you even get there.

They are simply not not much different. Yes, you can travel into Cincinnati. But before you go, there needs to be a definite objective. Where will you go and what will you do when you get there?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM

577 posts, read 1,285,741 times
I can't speak for you obriensmo, but I once knew a MU professor who chose to live in Cincinnati than in Oxford. Her reason was to have a bit of a distance from the students. Oxford is a neat town but it is small and I'm sure the odds of running into one of your students can be pretty good.

A long commute can be tiresome and US 27 can be a little bit of a pain to drive especially in the snow. If you are willing to take the commute I would say go for it and if you can make alternative plans during the times of snow like stay with a friend or chill in a hotel room, I would definitely take take that as a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati