Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The only people who think it is a BIG DEAL are the current or former residents of DAYTON. To the residents of Cincinnati it is a big Ho-Hum.
If you are talking about this deal then I think both Daytonians and Cincinnatians should be excited, considering the backbone of both metro economies is advanced manufacturing (want examples? GE, P&G, and WPAFB).

If you are talking about the creation of a combined metro region, then it is really only Cincinnati (or specifically Butler/Warren) that benefits. As a Daytonian I prefer autonomy (but I do see a lot of benefits of a combined metro, the preference for autonomy is more out of civic / regional pride).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
When you want to speak about advanced manufacturing, I don't think you can include WPAFB. It is a military base for Christ Sakes. It might very well be engaged in advanced weapons development for the military, but in no way should it be included in any summarization of the overall capability of the Cincinnati/Dayton metro area. It's funding could be dropped tomorrow. Anyone who has an argument with that is living in the past.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:01 AM

465 posts, read 658,782 times
Not just a military base, but an air force base, which in terms of the Cincinnati/Dayton aerospace corridor, what this development funding is nominally for, is actually somewhat useful for real life tests and hangar storage of military projects. Within the region, Milwaukee, Detroit, and the Finger Lakes in New York also are going to be in on the money pool, as well as the Tennessee Valley, so it will be interesting to see who uses the tax-dollars the best. It is nice that we beat applicants from Texas, Colorado and other places to be one of the twelve chosen for this.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
When you want to speak about advanced manufacturing, I don't think you can include WPAFB. It is a military base for Christ Sakes. It might very well be engaged in advanced weapons development for the military, but in no way should it be included in any summarization of the overall capability of the Cincinnati/Dayton metro area. It's funding could be dropped tomorrow. Anyone who has an argument with that is living in the past.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

So I am not going to explain to you why you are wrong. Instead, I will let you figure it out on your own. This should be easy, your argument has more holes in it than the Swiss cheese I'm going to have on my sandwich for lunch. But if you don't care to, then fine, but today I'm not cleaning up this mess.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:41 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times
It is interesting that some people was talking about a Chicago-Milwaukee combination. Yet they did not work together on this. Maybe the leaders here are opening up to the idea of a combined metro.

GE will win big here. Now they will be inline for huge grants.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
If you are talking about this deal then I think both Daytonians and Cincinnatians should be excited, considering the backbone of both metro economies is advanced manufacturing (want examples? GE, P&G, and WPAFB).

If you are talking about the creation of a combined metro region, then it is really only Cincinnati (or specifically Butler/Warren) that benefits. As a Daytonian I prefer autonomy (but I do see a lot of benefits of a combined metro, the preference for autonomy is more out of civic / regional pride).
Since when did P&G enter the advanced manufacturing arena. They make home cleasing products and until recently dog food. What is advanced manufacturing about that?

Old 05-31-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

So I am not going to explain to you why you are wrong. Instead, I will let you figure it out on your own. This should be easy, your argument has more holes in it than the Swiss cheese I'm going to have on my sandwich for lunch. But if you don't care to, then fine, but today I'm not cleaning up this mess.
Yes, you are right, it is difficult to teach an old dog new tricks because we have seen too many come and go by the wayside. It is also difficult to teach young whippersnappers practicality because they are so inclinded to just go and jump off the cliff based on some trumped up report. WPAFB is an asset to the Dayton area. But it is a military asset, not a Dayton asset. Dayton does not control what goes on there, the military does. In the overall planning of the Cin-Day area, I cannot include WPAFB at all. It is nice to have it here, but it could be gone tomorrow in a heartbeat, say to Texas.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 PM

^WPAFB has certain facilities no other military bases have that would cost tens of billion of dollars to uproot entirely.

I think it'd be a lot more likely that GE gets fed up with union labor in Evendale and pulls the plug there before all of WPAFB and it's 29,000 employees get uprooted. (Hoping neither ever happens though).

Edit - Since I have some time, I will also add that replicating the current contractor network WPAFB enjoys in Dayton somewhere else would be very difficult. And reconstructing the facilities would be a monumental cost. BRAC can downsize the base, but entire elimination of the air forces largest base which is located right where powered flight was invented? I'd move to Canada if our nation ever did something so cruel.

Last edited by SWOH; 05-31-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Since when did P&G enter the advanced manufacturing arena. They make home cleasing products and until recently dog food. What is advanced manufacturing about that?
What powers the assembly line to make those products? Where does the design expertise come from to build the necessary equipment? What moves it? Advanced manufacturing capabilities straight from Ohio.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,143,889 times
We may not be considered one metro area but we might as well be one media location. For the longest I listened to Dayton radio stations just as much or more than I have listened to Cincinnati radio stations. Dayton radio stations during many times played a wider variety of songs which you would never hear on Cincy radio stations because they seemed to have more successful music groups ( Dayton's Ohio Players, Slave, Lakeside, Roger Troutman and Zapp vs Cincinnati's Isley Brothers, Midnight Starr, and Bootsy Collins) Dayton radio stations seemed to support their less well known and successful groups by giving them airplay ( Platter Pus, Faze-O , etc) which is why i loved listening to Dayton's radio stations. I also watch Dayton television stations also as much except for the news broadcasts. There was a time when Time Warner Cincinnati even had Dayton TV stations in its lineup before the Local Cincy stations lobbied to exclude them. Since I still have a antenna on my chimney so I still have that luxury especially during football season to watch different NFL games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati