Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM

114 posts, read 228,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I suggest you actually look at a map of Mason. Walkable, ain't never going to happen. I have an auto mechanic who has a shop in the original downtown. I needed some brake work recently. Dropped the car off and Sam asked if I needed a ride home? I said no I will walk. What a stupid mistake that was. Yes I have walked it before, probably 25 years ago. By the time I got home I was wheezing and thinking I was about to die. Won't do that again. In fact a week later I thought better get the brakes checked on our second vehicle. Took it up to Sam's. This time I was smart enough to have him take me home since everyone else was running around doing something else.
Just because Mason isn't walkable doesn't mean it can't ever be. Carmel, IN was (and partially still is) a very car centric suburb similar to Mason but they changed their development plan Here's an article that actually specifically mentions Mason if you are interested:

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Next American Suburb: Carmel, Indiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio123 View Post
Just because Mason isn't walkable doesn't mean it can't ever be. Carmel, IN was (and partially still is) a very car centric suburb similar to Mason but they changed their development plan Here's an article that actually specifically mentions Mason if you are interested:

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Next American Suburb: Carmel, Indiana
Did look at the article. Just didn't see a whole lot I could connect to Mason. Oh a large portion of Mason is walkable, most of the newer neighborhoods have sidewalks or the bike paths which work well as sidewalks. It is just too damn far. From my auto mechanic to my house is almost 2 miles. Even when I tried a short-cut through the HS property it was still too damn far. At 73 walking to the mailbox is enough.

I do see a lot of people out walking, but believe it is primarily for exercise. Walking to a specific destination and back I believe is rare.

But I have little problem with that. I still enjoy my suburb. To me the biggest difference is whether they have set aside land and attracted businesses to uphold the economic quality of life. I believe Mason has done that. Several industrial parks with light industry and good paying jobs. More than just offices which can move at a moment's notice. Actual manufacturing takes a more deliberate move, including both the cost of moving equipment, but perhaps more important the cost of skilled personnel.

To me the best condition of life is to both work and live in a suburb, which I enjoyed for the last 20+ years of my working career. A commute less than a mile from home. Absolutely no reason to go into the City unless you decide there is something extraodinary there like the World Choir Games.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:22 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Absolutely no reason to go into the City unless....
I never really understand why folks who live in the burbs are so proud to not go to Cincinnati. It's by and large one of the most under-appreciated cities I have ever come across, and of course that is changing daily for the better.

But if it's any merit, except for a two week trim carpentry project I completed last year, I have NEVER had reason to set foot in Mason - and you guys don't get events like we do here in Cincinnati. There is always something to do, year round.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I never really understand why folks who live in the burbs are so proud to not go to Cincinnati. It's by and large one of the most under-appreciated cities I have ever come across, and of course that is changing daily for the better.

But if it's any merit, except for a two week trim carpentry project I completed last year, I have NEVER had reason to set foot in Mason - and you guys don't get events like we do here in Cincinnati. There is always something to do, year round.
Tom... It it is quite simple, when you reach the age a wheelchair handicap van is required to transport you, circumstances change. When most parking spaces in Cincinnati are woefully incapable of providing for Handicap Parking, you begin to understand.

When I can actually go less than 1/2 mile to the ATP world class tennis tournament here in Mason where they actually have handicap access I can understand.

So please tell me again why I should miss going to Cincinnati so much?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
So please tell me again why I should miss going to Cincinnati so much?
I'm addressing the sentiment that seems more prevalent out in the Cincinnati suburbs. You're not the first person I have heard it from. And really, the context of your post was the last 20 years you spent in your career. Not presently. I'm not trying to put you on the spot, I honestly just wanted to understand where people are coming from.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'm addressing the sentiment that seems more prevalent out in the Cincinnati suburbs. You're not the first person I have heard it from. And really, the context of your post was the last 20 years you spent in your career. Not presently. I'm not trying to put you on the spot, I honestly just wanted to understand where people are coming from.
Yes, I was fortunate the company I worked my entire career for moved their operation here to Mason. I ended up with about a 1/2 mile commute to my job and about 20 years here. Man that was sweet. I ended up with many trips out of CVG, but since the company paid the bill I could handle it.

They ran into a business downturn after 9/11 and decided to lay off or retire old people to keep some room for younger people if they could turn around. So I accepted a not quite 2 year early retirement, very decent. It will be 10 years of retirement next month.

The company did turn around. In fact the last two years have been the best in their global history. They are a global company, main offices and plants in Japan, but operations in Singapore, US, India, Germany and now China. The Singapore operations were started by my original comapny, LeBlond out of Norwood.

I just emphasize there are some strong technology companies operating out of the suiburbs. If you are lucky enough to be affiliated with them the ground is greener on the other side of the fence.

I have some younger compatriots who are now working themselves to death. With the lack of qualified personnel, they are literally traveling the world installing machinery. One individual I worked with has just come back from a 3-week stint in Brazil. After a few days in Cincinnati he will be off on a 2-week stint in Luxembourg. Of course no one is going to question the expense report, you can get away with murder. But you begin to understand that is not enough, particularly if you have a family.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM

148 posts, read 213,387 times
This is better than WSJ. Thanks all.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
LOL!!!
Can we talk gaslights again pleez?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
LOL!!!
Can we talk gaslights again pleez?
At least after I took it off topic, I went back on topic with a vengeance (and got beat up from all sides!)

I was just in a car today (not in SW Ohio). I was on what was basically a highway, and it had these faux gaslights, and they looked AWFUL in the context. Americans are the worst designers of public space ever...boggles my mind.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
At least after I took it off topic, I went back on topic with a vengeance (and got beat up from all sides!)

I was just in a car today (not in SW Ohio). I was on what was basically a highway, and it had these faux gaslights, and they looked AWFUL in the context. Americans are the worst designers of public space ever...boggles my mind.
But that is probably where we disagree. You want gaslights to only be present in areas with old world architecture, some sort of regressive mentality. I believe if the people like the looks let them put them up. If they like them more than the polished aluminum, high intensity sodium light, so what? It is like going back to the lava lamp if my youth. They are making a comeback, just not in my house .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati