Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM

294 posts, read 515,969 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first post but I have been reading here for years. I am Canadian and I am obsessed with Ohio. Don't know why but for the past 20 years i have been researching just about anything about it. I hope to visit when I retire in about 5 years. My interest began with Kent state which progressed to Shaker Heights, then the west side and the Sheppard murder. I also loved the Drew Carey Show. Then, I moved on to Columbus and OSU. I love Rascal Flatts. Then I was on an Akron kick, then a Younstown kick. I then moved to the west and was fascinated with the Dayton area , the Wright brothers and the Xenia tornado. This winter i have discovered the Queen City. i have been amazed at the houses in the Roselawn, Bond Hill areas and the prices ! Also i am mesmerized by the old Adath Israel temple on Reading road and the big old Civil War era homes along that street.
I am also interested in the 1940's and 1950's corporate culture in the Fortune 500 companies in Ohio.
I must say that your city looks more southern that midwestern, to me. it looks nothing like Cleveland or Columbus at all. O.K. maybe the endless miles of brink ranches do, but each city seems so different in many ways.
I have a couple of quick questions :

1. Is there an are similiar to Shaker Heights in Cincy ? I have not found it. Mariemont loooks like a little slice of Cleveland Heights.
2. Does any one know if the Patty Rebolz house in greenhills is still standing. Does anyone have a street and house number ?

Thanks

Maplelady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Mariemont is much more like Shaker Heights than Cleveland Heights, in my opinion. Cleveland Heights has more in common with the Norwood area in Cincinnati, if you're familiar with that.

Cincinnati is set at the confluence of the Midwest, Northeast and South, which lends to its charm. You can literally find strong elements of all three in Cincinnati. It's really unlike any other city in Ohio.

Since you're interested in the Wright Brothers I'm sure you've looked into the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton? It would definitely be worth a visit when you're in Cincinnati-Dayton.

Where in Canada are you from?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
OP... What does Cleveland have that is like Indian Hill? A high level residential only neighborhood with no commercial businesses. To me it is one of the most unique areas in Cincinnati.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Thanks for responding

Thanks abr !

I see that the middle of Mariemount looks like a small version of Shaker Square, somewhat. It also looks like the area around Lee and Cedar or the bottom of the hill. And the mock Tudors look like the heights and Queens, too. What do you call the style that has the towers and are low and rambling and look like trolls live in them ? They almost look like they have thatched roofs. I have been to England but they are not quite like anything I have seen there.

I will check out more of Norwood. I saw it on episodes of Property Virgins, I think.

Your city has a faded glory look, almost. This is not a put down, but much in the way the old country house in rural England have that faded chintz and muddy boots look.

The geography is very interesting. All those houses perched on hills.

Why do the streets, even in the better areas look so bad ? The patched and crumbling pavement, etc.

I live in Halifax ,Nova Scotia. it is a provincial capital pop. about 400 k. Govt, medical, tech, tourism , off shore oil. Very much like a small Boston with many cultural ties to new England. I have lived all over Canada and travelled to all over Northern US, California, Hawaii, Florida, Bahamas, and Britain.

I will visit Ohio in the fall some year soon. So much to do and see !

Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Default Thanks, kjbrill

Hello,

I am so pleased you have responded to me. I have been reading your posts and have learned so much.

I have looked at Indian Hill . It does seem nice but not quite as impressive as Shaker. Truthfully.

Where do I look for the huge old mansions of the industrialists ? I understand that the Gamble house has been torn down. In have known a few Pand G people in my day, mostly in the pulp and paper industry. They always feared the trips to headquarters, but looked forward to the baseball games.

I look forward to exchanging more posts with you. Thanks, again.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
Hello,

I am so pleased you have responded to me. I have been reading your posts and have learned so much.

I have looked at Indian Hill . It does seem nice but not quite as impressive as Shaker. Truthfully.

Where do I look for the huge old mansions of the industrialists ? I understand that the Gamble house has been torn down. In have known a few Pand G people in my day, mostly in the pulp and paper industry. They always feared the trips to headquarters, but looked forward to the baseball games.

I look forward to exchanging more posts with you. Thanks, again.
Check out Avondale and North Avondale for some of the old mansions. The even older mansions are on Dayton Street in the West End. There are some interesting large old houses in unexpected places like at Spring Grove Village and College Hill as well.

Also, on the Kentucky side there are some very interesting manor houses and mansions with a very different history, but just across the river.

Last edited by progmac; 02-22-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM

224 posts, read 376,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
Hello,

Where do I look for the huge old mansions of the industrialists ?
Hi maplelady. If I were to live in Canada I surely would be in Nova Scotia. It's nice that someone there feels the same way about Ohio!

As progmac says, there are fine houses all through the area. One such lovely mansion in College Hill, built by the founder of Champion Paper, is called Laurel Court:

Laurel Court | Cincinnati, Ohio | The Gilded Age home of Peter G. Thomson

Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Just up the road, in Middletown, is my personal favorite colossal estate house, built by industrialist Paul Sorg. This link takes you to a blog that has a neat little video of the house and its history:

Sorg Mansion Top 10 Restoration Opportunity | Middletown Ohio Blog

This mansion is for sale, and the owner is asking only $500,000, so if you and I pooled our tip money we could maybe swing this. Wouldn't it look great with a Canadian flag flying out front?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Sorg mansion

Well now, that is what I am talking about, Scott.

That looks like a bargin. I wonder what the taxes would be on it. I wonder why the family abandon it.

It reminds me of the old mansions in Cleveland Heights, many of which are long gone.

Have you ever been to Nova Scotia ? We are Canada's ocean playground. i forgot to mention that Halifax has six gegree granting institutions, a world renown Children's Hospital and is the largest naval base in The Royal Canadian Navy. It is also very much a centre for what Richard Florida calls the artistic class.

Thanks for the video clip link.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM

You are welcome. No, I have never been to Nova Scotia but I'll get there someday. My in-laws vacation there, and my brother travels to Halifax on business occasionally, so all my information has come second-hand through them. I imagine it to be like Maine, except better appointed.

Here's a link to industrialist Powel Crosley's home Pinecroft's website. This place also is near College Hill in Cincinnati:

Pinecroft Mansion - Cincinnati Wedding Venues - Estate Wedding | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati