Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

You guys make it sound like Dillonvale and Deer Park are populated with nothing but boring families and grandmas, and that those are the only people the OP will ever meet. I believe the OP has a job, which will open up opportunities to meet people, and a car, which will enable her to drive to whatever areas and people suit her interests.

When in fact, Dillonvale and especially Deer Park are popular among young single people wanting to buy those first affordable homes that are reasonably close to the city. Not only that, grandmas pass away, move in with their kids, or shuffle off to continuing care communities. And who takes their places? More young, single people and young families. Ah, the circle of life ...

Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM

133 posts, read 205,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
From a driving POV, Deer Park and Dillonvale (in relation to Blue Ash) do make sense, especially since these two adjacent communities offer inexpensive rental and housing options that will appeal to a single female with a dog, who's also seeking convenience and security. Needless to say, if the Dillonvale IGA grocery can't handle the OP's basic food needs, the Taj Mahal Hunt Rd. Blue Ash Kroger store certainly can.

And NOTHING more need be said about fabulous Cincinnati's "Kenwood Town Center" (KTC) than what's already been said; KTC's not only Cincinnati's most fabulous shopping destination, it's also one of Ohio's.

Now here's "the rub" (and this is aimed at the OP's ears alone.) Deer Park/Dillonvale, in relation to her job in Blue Ash, are all they are said to be (convenient, affordable, and safe). Yet they are also two of the most bland and unexciting suburbs in the entire Cincinnati metro. No places for a young and single 27-yr. old female (even with a dog), unless she wants to expire with boredom etched all over her face. As already mentioned, the convenience to both job and shopping can't be ignored. But soon enough, the endless treks to that "wonderful" Blue Ash Kroger and that "fantastic" KTC will wear thin, and this professional 27-yr. old female OP, with her dog, will be screaming to herself: "Is this ALL there is?" And my answer would be: "Absolutely not--the richness of Cincinnati is discovered the more one draws into its center--and we're not talking about convenience nor shopping, but about people and relationships." Let's give our OP credit for determining what's the best for her.
Excellent post!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You guys make it sound like Dillonvale and Deer Park are populated with nothing but boring families and grandmas
Considering the OP's age and desire to be near restaurants and such, Dillonvale and Deer Park simply can't compete with what's offered in Cincinnati's urban core, and surrounding neighborhoods. I don't think anyone is slamming Deer Park and Dillonvale, saying that these places suck.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You guys make it sound like Dillonvale and Deer Park are populated with nothing but boring families and grandmas, and that those are the only people the OP will ever meet. I believe the OP has a job, which will open up opportunities to meet people, and a car, which will enable her to drive to whatever areas and people suit her interests.

When in fact, Dillonvale and especially Deer Park are popular among young single people wanting to buy those first affordable homes that are reasonably close to the city. Not only that, grandmas pass away, move in with their kids, or shuffle off to continuing care communities. And who takes their places? More young, single people and young families. Ah, the circle of life ...
Excuse me! For the record, nobody ever said anything about such boring people as families and grandmas, but communities. And if Deer Park and/or Dillonvale are reasonably close to the city, exactly what might be considered "far away"? Lebanon, Springboro, Centerville Ohio? This particular professional woman's single, 27, and wants her dog as a pet; does that also imply that she wants to live her life in a Cincinnati version of "Little House on The Prairie"?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
I wish OP would come back and clarify a few things, LOL. Watch her never show up again.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I wish OP would come back and clarify a few things, LOL. Watch her never show up again.
Yep. Could be eating popcorn and having a laugh at the carnage their questions caused.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
As far as Deer Park and Dillonvale being devoid of things to do, Deer Park has perhaps the best Italian restaurant in the city in Barresi's. Blue Ash also has several nice dining establishments as does next door Montgomery. There is no reason to go hungry around there.

I was thinking mainly of the dog. But I will readily admit it depends on what kind of dog, which I do not believe has been divulged.

For example, a toy poodle does perfectly well as an indoor dog. Five minutes outside to do their business and right back indoors they come. My sister-lin-law actually trained her two to use a cat litter box.

I personally believe it is cruelty to animals to confine a large dog in an apartment all day long. Large dogs need frequent and regular exercise to maintain their health. What do I consider a large dog? A full size collie, a doberman, a boxer, and such. I would probably say anything over 20 pounds, 30 pounds for sure.

The OP of course has the decision as we all know. But as usual, anyone suggesting a tranquil life in the suburbs is lambasting someone else's urban outpourings instead of just offering an alternative.

Not every 20-something desires to go out and drink-and-drown every night, nor play the bar-scene dating game which is typically a disaster.

I read the OPs opening remarks as being close to the City, not in the City, and some convenient restaurants and shopping would be nice. I did not get from this I am a 20-something female out to raise Hell every time I turn around.

What I did get out of it was I love my dog and need a place we can enjoy.

So we have some disagreements on where that is. And yes, the OP will make the decision.

As Yac said, helping the OP form an opinion on what will be best for her in Cincinnati is the objective. But to automatically assume a 20-something individual will want to be located in the vibrant downtown Cincinnati is not necessarily correct.

And I do hope at some point the term young professional gets dropped. Sounds like an elitist proclamation to me. We are going to take over Cincinnati by driving all of the undesirables out.

Look back at your history. Cincinnati was built on the backs of blue-collar workers. It became the Machine Tool Capital of the World. These were dirty industries, and where the majority of the German immigrants worked (other than breweries). Why do you think GE located their Large Jet Engine plant here? The availability of skilled machinists to make the parts that's why!

We had several others, the Proctor and Gambles of P&G, Barney Kroger, John Shillito of what is now Federated Department Stores and Macy's. They all helped to build Cincinnati.

I should just back off. The term young professional implies you are both young and a professional. That implies what? You have been bequeathed a degree from some university which says you are a professional, even though you have never yet worked a day in your life for a private business. You will be judged by your peers, and that will be the standard you go forward from or move on to another locality.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I should just back off.
Great idea. I really don't know why you are arguing for a random stranger to accept your advice as superior to everyone else's. It's not that you have bad ideas either, just coming on very strong.

BTW - a person can frequent bars w/o drinking and drowning every night. It's called drinking responsibly.

Oh, I know a lot of people who have large dogs in inner city apartments. The dog's are very well taken care of, better than some people's kids.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM

148 posts, read 213,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
... even though you have never yet worked a day in your life ...
Yes I'm definitely leaning Hyde Park now.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Oh, I know a lot of people who have large dogs in inner city apartments. The dog's are very well taken care of, better than some people's kids.
Just ask any veterinarian what is better for a large dogs health, a sedimentary life cooped up in an apartment or the freedom to run and exercise in a reasonable yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati