Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times

Advertisements

Yah - basically one option for entering an old home and removing things of value (legally) - find the owner, ask, and make a fair offer.

If what you want is salvaged materials (instead of becoming a salvager yourself) - Wooden Nickel is the big one in the area, though there are many others throughout the midwest.

Just google "architectural antiques" or "architectural salvage".

best of luck restoring your old home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM

224 posts, read 376,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nays407 View Post
I own a historic 100yr old house myself and was looking for pieces for my home. Maybe you should consider asking why I wanted to do this before you judge. Thats whats wrong with people today, always thinking the worst and accusing!!
Nays, I hope you will be back to read this - in which case, welcome to the forum. There are quite a few house restorers here. I am working on an 1840s brick Italian Villa in Lebanon, but have worked on a number of other houses in the area.

There is quite a good architectural salvage on Broadway in Louisville, where I have bought doors, hardware, light fixtures, a tub and a nice cast iron kitchen sink. The Wooden Nickel is more in the furniture business, as another poster said, but last time I was there they still had a pretty fair supply of doors, woodwork and hardware items.

About ten years ago my wife started noticing an old Gothic frame house on her way to work in the hills of Clermont County. The roof had failed and the whole building was starting to come down. We looked up the owner, a farmer, on the county Auditor's website, and it turns out he was happy to let us salvage what we wanted from the house. Often farmers have no interest in the old houses on their land if they do not live there. I gave the farmer $100 (though he did not ask for anything) and got the pointy-topped second story double door with frame, and the huge front door and frame, and the newel post, railing and baluster, plus brick, baseboards and two fireplace mantels.

If you have some time you might take drives in the country and see what is out there, then contact the owners to see if they might be open to salvage. It has worked for me. Sadly, there are a lot of nice old houses which fallen to ruin, but which still may have usable materials.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Up in Michigan (near Ann Arbor) is Materials Unlimited:

Materials Unlimited | Ypsilanti, MI

they used to carry quite a bit of architectural salvage (fixtures, mantels, lights, etc...). Their website is a lot of fun just to browse.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 PM

Following Briolat's lead, here's a link to the Louisville salvage place I mentioned:

Architectural Salvage and Antiques, Louisville, KY 40202

I was at Materials Unlimited in Ypsi last fall and agree that they have a lot of good stuff, including an awesome selection of vintage light fixtures. It is well worth a visit.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Up in Michigan (near Ann Arbor) is Materials Unlimited:

Materials Unlimited | Ypsilanti, MI

they used to carry quite a bit of architectural salvage (fixtures, mantels, lights, etc...). Their website is a lot of fun just to browse.
OMG!!!!! I know where I'm having my sister take me the next time I visit her!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,397 times
Thank you t45209. The reason I was wanting to remove them from homes was to hopefully save some money. I live near Westwood were many of the older historic homes are being destroyed. New owners come in wripping out banisters, lights, bath tubs etc and throw it all away. Just so they can cheaply modernize them for rental properties. I have found some wonderful pieces just by going dumpster diving. I love these beautiful old pieces and I'm determined to completely restore my home.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Following Briolat's lead, here's a link to the Louisville salvage place I mentioned:

Architectural Salvage and Antiques, Louisville, KY 40202

I was at Materials Unlimited in Ypsi last fall and agree that they have a lot of good stuff, including an awesome selection of vintage light fixtures. It is well worth a visit.
Scott....Louisville is actual an antique dream land. Have you shopped the other antique rows in the area?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Scott....Louisville is actual an antique dream land. Have you shopped the other antique rows in the area?
No, whereabouts are the good antiques in Louisville?

Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
OMG!!!!! I know where I'm having my sister take me the next time I visit her!
When I lived up in Ypsi, it was always fun to drive by (I was not in a historic anything). Ironically, at that time, a lot of the stuff they had had been removed from houses in Cincinnati. (light fixtures, stained glass, bath fixtures primarily).

(this was about 10+ years ago).

Now, I'm not sure where there stuff is coming from.

OP - your neighbors in WestWood who are just ripping these things out should contact a salvage company and sell them. Or, have the salvage company bid on doing the removal.

While personally I don't like houses that look old on the outside but have been completely gutted and modernized on the inside (losing all character features in the meantime) I accept that its their right to do that, if that's what they choose.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
No, whereabouts are the good antiques in Louisville?
This is just a partial list:

Best Antiques in the Louisville area - Louisville A-List

Joy Ley and Goss are must sees. The city is probably the best for antiques I have seen for variety and price, and I have traveled to most top 50 metro areas.

Some restaurant advice while in town:

The 18 Essential Louisville Restaurants, January 2013 - Eater 18 - Eater Louisville

Make sure you check out downtown, frankfort avenue, bardstown rd, and 4th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati