Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 13,282 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Cincinnati in May for a summer internship at P&G, with the likelihood of a full-time transition within another year or so. I've got 4 kids, but the older two are college age and will not really be moving with us. The younger two are 12 and 13. By the time we move for good, they will be at least 8th/9th graders. I've seen great advice in other posts. However, my priorities may be a little different than some other posters. Would love your thoughts on this particular set of variables.

In addition, any advice for a smooth transition for soccer and rock climbing? Thanks in advance. Glad to have found this forum.

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? Yes
. What specific topic have you not found answers to? Our specific situation

. Where is you current location and environment? Nashville, TN suburb
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? Change

. Where will your work location be? Mason, OH
. Maximum commute time desired? 30 minutes

. What is you budget for housing?
$1000-$1600/month
. Rent or buy? Rent for now and probably a little while after permanent hire
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)Apt or house
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) At least 2 bedrooms
. Other specifics?

. Neighborhood environment? Priorities highlighted below
. Urban, young professional, nightlife
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
. Family oriented
. Lots of same age kids, activities
. Great schools
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
. Diversity of income, race, housing
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more)
. Very safe, low crime area?
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? Safe enough for my teenage kids (12,13) to be home alone if necessary
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities

. Schools?
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools
. Small or large district?
. Diverse student body
. Strong athletics? Soccer, nearby rock climbing gym
. Consider Private schools? Yes
. Special considerations? Will need strong honors/AP curricula

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Close promity to public transportation?
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
. Jogging & biking trails
. Other? Green space, trails, parks important but don't have to be within walking distance. Would love to be in a city section with character, local restaurants, etc. Have lived in Denver, St. Louis city neighborhoods with diversity and culture, loved that.

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,856,199 times
Hi Runbaber--

The area that will fit the most of your requirements is right there in Mason. It's not a 100% match of course. Although it's about as suburban as it gets, you'll get just about everything else you're looking for - good schools, low crime, and (some) diversity. But living and working in Mason would work wonders - you won't relish the thought of being stuck on I-71 or I-75 at rush hour if you lived elsewhere.

I'm sure kjbrill can give a much more detailed opinion on Mason.

Alternatively consider Lebanon, which has a more developed "old" town, which may provide somewhat of a more built-up/urban feel.

In both cases, the public schools are generally good enough that you won't have to shell out many thousands for private school.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,912,031 times
If "close-in suburb" with "older, distinctive architecture, individual character" is important, Mason probably won't do. Wyoming or Mariemont would, if you can find something in your budget. Glendale, maybe.

Is there a specific reason you want a close-in suburb rather than a city neighborhood? Is it just the assumption that urban public schools are bad? Because that assumption is not necessarily accurate. For example, Cincinnati Public Schools boasts the highest ranked public high school in the state. And it starts at grade 7, so your kids could immediately start going to that school (Walnut Hills).

If schools are not the only reason you prefer to be just outside the city rather than inside it, let us know and it might help us guide you.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,977,264 times
At rent up to $1,600/month, great schools, mid-urban--------the options are very limited in any city. I'd suggest Blue Ash which gets you into Sycamore schools while still being affordable and safe.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:12 AM

133 posts, read 205,429 times
I think you'll like Wyoming...and I've heard several people here recommend Northside. On another note, I went to college in Nashville (Vanderbilt) and work in the Mason office. Shoot me a PM on here if you need anything!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,986,873 times
In your place I'd probably start out by finding a rental in the Mason area and taking my time to explore neighborhoods that are older and closer to town. It may be difficult to find everything you're looking for without getting into a lengthy commute to work. I would also second the suggestion of Blue Ash, which I am a big fan of and think is very appropriate for your circumstances.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
I think you'll like Wyoming...and I've heard several people here recommend Northside. On another note, I went to college in Nashville (Vanderbilt) and work in the Mason office. Shoot me a PM on here if you need anything!
Can attractive housing for a family of 4 be found in Wyoming for under $1,600/month?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM

133 posts, read 205,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Can attractive housing for a family of 4 be found in Wyoming for under $1,600/month?
No, saw another poster mention that and said it in my post. I've since re-read the OP and realized it wasn't a good answer. The others are right, best to look around Blue Ash. I blame the early-morning lack of coffee.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
No, saw another poster mention that and said it in my post. I've since re-read the OP and realized it wasn't a good answer. The others are right, best to look around Blue Ash. I blame the early-morning lack of coffee.
Wyoming's a great place..and perfect for the OP for all but the price...as they say "it's priced for perfection!"

Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,986,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Wyoming's a great place..and perfect for the OP for all but the price...as they say "it's priced for perfection!"
Am guessing rentals are pretty hard to come by, too, although I know there are a few apartment complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: