Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM

73 posts, read 89,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Certainly a good suggestion, but for most if not all ensemble instruments, there's no substitute for having a well-directed ensemble of peers available to participate in. Your posting reminds me to suggest the OP also contact the Preparatory Department at College-Conservatory of Music, UC's music department.

Yes, CCM is a very good choice, I agree. However, I have known people from the Old RB Band who went to CCM. Quite honestly, all they did, 24/7, was practice, practice, and more practice. I was told that some CCM grads have problems relating to people after they graduate, because they have spent the last four years in a lesson room, this was from CCM grads. During my time at RB, most of the lesson teachers were from CCM. Yes, they were outstanding and great teachers. However, I am not sure based on my experience at Bacon, that having that level of commitment, before you start lessons is a good idea. In fact, many parents pushed their kids to join the Bacon Band, because they loved it, not the kid, horrible idea. To give you an idea, in my sophomore year, at RB, besides football games and parades, Bacon did at least, at a bare minimum, 50 performances per year. In my freshman year, we were paid $1,000 to play for 30 minutes on Mt. Lookout Square(1983). In addition, my freshman year, we were paid $800.00 to play one song at a swanky downtown Cincinnati hotel, "Superman." In my sophomore year, we played for President Reagan on Fountain Square and were the featured band in the Reds Opening Day Parade, every year at RB. My point is not that I am better than you, my point is that if your kid is going to be good, they are going to really need to practice, practice, and practice. I would guess that I practiced at least an hour a day, year around. Music and Band can be a great experience under the right conditions. The first condition is that the kid really wants to play an instrument and really work at it. Yet, they also need time to be with their friends and be a kid. We were expected to win every competition and I am not so sure that was mentally healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:07 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDXUFan View Post
Yes, CCM is a very good choice, I agree. However, I have known people from the Old RB Band who went to CCM. Quite honestly, all they did, 24/7, was practice, practice, and more practice. I was told that some CCM grads have problems relating to people after they graduate, because they have spent the last four years in a lesson room, this was from CCM grads. During my time at RB, most of the lesson teachers were from CCM. Yes, they were outstanding and great teachers. However, I am not sure based on my experience at Bacon, that having that level of commitment, before you start lessons is a good idea. In fact, many parents pushed their kids to join the Bacon Band, because they loved it, not the kid, horrible idea. To give you an idea, in my sophomore year, at RB, besides football games and parades, Bacon did at least, at a bare minimum, 50 performances per year. In my freshman year, we were paid $1,000 to play for 30 minutes on Mt. Lookout Square(1983). In addition, my freshman year, we were paid $800.00 to play one song at a swanky downtown Cincinnati hotel, "Superman." In my sophomore year, we played for President Reagan on Fountain Square and were the featured band in the Reds Opening Day Parade, every year at RB. My point is not that I am better than you, my point is that if your kid is going to be good, they are going to really need to practice, practice, and practice. I would guess that I practiced at least an hour a day, year around. Music and Band can be a great experience under the right conditions. The first condition is that the kid really wants to play an instrument and really work at it. Yet, they also need time to be with their friends and be a kid. We were expected to win every competition and I am not so sure that was mentally healthy.
You make a lot of good points, and of course it's up to the OP and the student to decide what level of involvement is appropriate for them. That said, I stand by the recommendation of investigating CCM's Preparatory Department--which is specifically for students who are not yet college-age--as a source of excellent instruction. I've known a number of their teachers. They are realistic and they do not expect every prep student to demonstrate a level of commitment that would lead to working in music professionally.

Many young people who actually enjoy music would not find a commitment of an hour a day as you mention to be all that excessive, either. I guess mileage varies. We are diverging from the original post at this point anyway.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:50 AM

73 posts, read 89,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
You make a lot of good points, and of course it's up to the OP and the student to decide what level of involvement is appropriate for them. That said, I stand by the recommendation of investigating CCM's Preparatory Department--which is specifically for students who are not yet college-age--as a source of excellent instruction. I've known a number of their teachers. They are realistic and they do not expect every prep student to demonstrate a level of commitment that would lead to working in music professionally.

Many young people who actually enjoy music would not find a commitment of an hour a day as you mention to be all that excessive, either. I guess mileage varies. We are diverging from the original post at this point anyway.

Yes, agreed, I do like CCM and their instructors are outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati