Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:34 PM

294 posts, read 515,795 times

Advertisements

What is the currrent trend in Cincy.

Eight years after I renoed a 7 year old house, and put inn Quartz, now people are understanding why.

Much more sanitary, just a more stable product. I love the colour "Magellan " which is a sea foam green.

I see on HGTV , more often quartz or another engineered stone is being used.

What do you say, Cincy ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
What is the currrent trend in Cincy.

Eight years after I renoed a 7 year old house, and put inn Quartz, now people are understanding why.

Much more sanitary, just a more stable product. I love the colour "Magellan " which is a sea foam green.

I see on HGTV , more often quartz or another engineered stone is being used.

What do you say, Cincy ?
Granite to me is too porous. You have to be careful of what you spill on it, or the porosity will soak in a stain very difficult to get out. It is somewhat like natural marble in that regard. Don't really have any experience with quartz. Though it is an abundant mineral, was not aware it was readily available in sheets suitable for countertops, etc.

I replaced some bathroom lavatory fixtures with man-made cultured marble and have been very happy with them. They have held up very well, retained their shine, and not adsorbed stains.

I wish when I redid my one bathroom instead of re-walling it in ceramic tile I should have used cultured marble panels. It was available with a quarter round molding which was set in a liquid resin of the same material. Once set it looked like solid material. No more grout line cracks, it is worry free. I prefer the engineered stone over the natural as it is less porous.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Me too. I loathe tile and grout anywhere.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Granite to me is too porous. You have to be careful of what you spill on it, or the porosity will soak in a stain very difficult to get out. It is somewhat like natural marble in that regard. Don't really have any experience with quartz. Though it is an abundant mineral, was not aware it was readily available in sheets suitable for countertops, etc.

I replaced some bathroom lavatory fixtures with man-made cultured marble and have been very happy with them. They have held up very well, retained their shine, and not adsorbed stains.

I wish when I redid my one bathroom instead of re-walling it in ceramic tile I should have used cultured marble panels. It was available with a quarter round molding which was set in a liquid resin of the same material. Once set it looked like solid material. No more grout line cracks, it is worry free. I prefer the engineered stone over the natural as it is less porous.
The quartz being discussed here is an engineered product, not in it's natural form. Particles of quartz and sometimes other minerals are mixed with resins and formed into sheets that are worked and polished into slabs suitable for use as countertops, etc. It is a very hard, non-porous material.

Here is a link to one manufacturers website.

Quartz Countertops | Stone Surfaces for the Kitchen, Bath & more | Cambria

This manufacturer, by the way is an American owned company with it's facilities in the USA.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
anything tile, blech, no thank you.

butcher block seems too high maintenance.

the various rocks seem pretty nice.

laminate....it is what it is and it's the only thing i've ever been able to afford

Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
anything tile, blech, no thank you.

butcher block seems too high maintenance.

the various rocks seem pretty nice.

laminate....it is what it is and it's the only thing i've ever been able to afford
And they can do some really nice things with laminates these days.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
And they can do some really nice things with laminates these days.
And yes I have laminates in my kitchen. They are definitely showing their age. But for a durability versus cost standpoint, I don't believe you can beat them.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Yes the new laminates are amazing and they also score high on the sanitary scale.

Quartz is also made by Dupont, made in Mid Atlantic I think. They had the first patent but now there are many like Silestone, etc.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 PM

The only issue with laminate is that it is hard to put in an integrates sink. I hate drop in sinks. There are also new glass based counter tops with integrated sinks , popular in bathrooms.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
The only issue with laminate is that it is hard to put in an integrates sink. I hate drop in sinks. There are also new glass based counter tops with integrated sinks , popular in bathrooms.
Not as difficult as you think. We have been doing a lot of them lately.

Wilsonart Sinks for Your Kitchen or Bath Countertops

This is just one brand option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: