Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_6 View Post
I'm from Southwest VA (might as well be a different country from Central VA), and I've heard of the 501 Club. It's got some notoriety.
Not a bit surprised. I have relatives that used to live in the area, otherwise, I never would have been there. What a loss that would've been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of the worst-of-the-worst places I've been.

I was in some bar in Covington maybe 5 years ago. It wasn't packed, but fairly crowded. Lots of blue-collar people from the neighborhood, maybe 50/50 Appalachian and black. As my friend and I sat there (mind you we're a couple of gay white-collar guys), we came to learn that basically everyone in there was extended family. Well some argument erupted because some guy was being flirty with some girl (not sure if they were related or not -- through marriage or otherwise), and his in-laws were really mad about it. So the shouting match is really escalating just as we quickly finish our bourbons. The bar tender apologized to us (whatever...in a way it was what we came for), and said it was sort of par for the course at the establishment. Clearly the people were regulars. We didn't want to stick around to see where things were going to go from there. As we made our exit, more family members were walking through the door to join in on (or bring an end to? ) the fun.

The same friend and I got a few intimidating glances at a bar on Vine in Elmwood Place (probably the only one there). Nothing exciting happened there, but it felt a little uncomfortable.

I've been to a lot of other places, and often (usually) am let down by how completely civilized a place is, despite what I picture from the neighborhood and/or the exterior. I've been to Junkers, but the worst thing I could say about the placed is that it was dirty and in poor condition. Didn't see any crackheads or meth-snorting bikers. Unfortunately, lol.

I love dive bars. Seeking out the seediest ones is great fun. I'm tempted to visit that one in Mason; might even have to try using a foreign language.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
From the steady stream of news reports and/or crime-stat-page incident notes I have to nominate Vito's, at the northeast corner of Reading Rd and Summit in "Woes Lawn." Its building looks like a former national-chain restaurant (Denny's, it's been speculated) and the choice of blood red for its exterior paint color might not have been accidental. Even cops have been shot at there more than once. One of several deterrents to a reversal of fortune in the surrounding neighborhood is Vito's and certain other watering holes between there and Woodward High School. But the community council seems largely powerless to close them down - maybe because the proprietor of Vito's has insinuated himself into their ranks. He also bankrolls the annual "Day of Fun" festival to some degree and always throws in raffle prizes for the kids, sorta the way drug kingpins in big cities do to stay in business.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM

50 posts, read 82,799 times
Now this is something I get into!

Arena Lounge- yes. Also, they sell 40s.
Dillinger's- did you know that they sell pickled eggs? Not that I would eat one.

Some more to add:
The Pilot on Edwards, right next door to the equally awesome Edge Bar.
Pleasant Hour in P Ridge
Johnny's Tavern in Norwood
Madonna's downtown

I'm sure I can think of more. I also love dive bars and pre-kids used to spend quite some time at them (obviously).

Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg97 View Post
The Pilot on Edwards, right next door to the equally awesome Edge Bar.
The Edge Inn has always intrigued me ... LOL Sad to say I've never been inside.

The Pilot has -- or used to have -- great food. Haven't been there in quite some time.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The Edge Inn has always intrigued me ... LOL Sad to say I've never been inside.

The Pilot has -- or used to have -- great food. Haven't been there in quite some time.
The Pilot Inn used to be adjacent to a side driveway to LeBlond's parking lot off Edwards Rd. We used to go over there for lunch a couple of times a week. It was not a strictly dive bar, the food was decent. I am reasonably sure they moved when LeBlond sold the property for what is now Rookwood Commons. I remember when LeBlond was there and we had a 2nd floor executive dining room for customers. I just remember the dining room had a Rookwood Tile fireplace in it. I just hope someone salvaged the fireplace before they demolished the original building.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM

172 posts, read 254,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Dillinger's Tavern in Oakley is one for sure.

But, I think without a doubt, the worst has to be the Lucky Lady Tavern on Hamilton Avenue where Mill Road splits off. Holy cripes, what a dump.
You actually stepped inside The Lucky Lady?! Holy cow! I've lived in that general area for most of my life and have never been courageous enough to do that! :-)

Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg97 View Post
Madonna's downtown
Madonna's? One of the worst dive bars? It's a sports dive bar for sure, but let's face it. It's clean, has a decent enough kitchen, has good pool tables, is frequented by out of towners coming to Cincinnati for games, and Scotty Brown is one of the best bartenders on the planet.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Madonna's? One of the worst dive bars? It's a sports dive bar for sure, but let's face it. It's clean, has decent a decent enough kitchen, has good pool tables, is frequented by out of towners coming to Cincinnati for games, and Scotty Brown is one of the best bartenders on the planet.
I totally agree, Scotty is great. Madonna's is great. I call places "dive bars" with the utmost affection. I assumed that "worst" used in this context actually meant "best."

Maybe I have a different definition of dive bars than other people? Or maybe I love dive bars a little too much.

EDIT: To be honest, I was just listing all the dive bars I have been to/frequented since living here. Not necessarily trying to rank them "best" or "worst".

Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM

While I have not yet been, and technically is in NKY, I have heard good things about the Peecox bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati