Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,908 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will soon be uprooting our young family of two kids, (5 and 2,) to Cincinnati. I know very little about the area. We currently live in the greater Milwaukee area, before that we spent some years in Columbus, OH. I am looking for advice on where to buy a house and settle our family in Cincinnati.

If anyone is familiar with the Columbus area, we would be looking for an area similar to Worthington. We consider ourselves: liberal, a little bit hipster, but mostly just very active in our community. We would like to be in an area with an excellent school district, but are open to the possibility of a private school. We love walking to shops and areas that have revived their "downtown" areas with local boutiques, coffee shops, and restaurants. Of course, we also LOVE the modern amenities a nice mall would bring too. In Columbus, we lived near an outdoor mall called, Easton and really enjoyed having it close by.

Our budget for a house will be about 500k. My husband will be working just north of the city, so I am thinking we would buy somewhere relatively close by.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by lindalee2; 11-11-2013 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Wyoming would probably make the most sense. Not a ton available right now in Wyoming that would work out well for you, but probably more stuff will be coming online soon.

Cincinnati does not have anything like Easton yet, but Steiner (the developer of Easton) is building a center to the north in Liberty Twp. It is probably about a 20 minutes from Wyoming.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:02 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
OP ...

When you say hubby will be working just north of the City, what is just North? How far north makes a big difference in where I would recommend, particularly at your home price point.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
...Cincinnati does not have anything like Easton yet, but Steiner (the developer of Easton) is building a center to the north in Liberty Twp. It is probably about a 20 minutes from Wyoming.
For our newcomers... Please realize that it's the massive Kenwood Town Center, 12-miles NE of the downtown, that's the true measuring stick of suburban shopping in Cincinnati. (You'll either love it or hate it!)

Old 11-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Default ...just north....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OP ...

When you say hubby will be working just north of the City, what is just North? How far north makes a big difference in where I would recommend, particularly at your home price point.
He will be working for GE Aviation in Wyoming. Wyoming does look like a nice area....

Old 11-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
For our newcomers... Please realize that it's the massive Kenwood Town Center, 12-miles NE of the downtown, that's the true measuring stick of suburban shopping in Cincinnati. (You'll either love it or hate it!)

It certainly looks like it has some great stores!

Overall, we prefer outdoor spaces to stroll along on the weekends. My husband grew up in Europe, so it's nice to have a little "town center" close. The outdoor mall offered that same appeal, along with great stores like Nordstrom.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I certainly don't disagree that Kenwood Towne Center is the reigning king of shopping in the Cincinnati area, and it is certainly suburban. And Montrgomery and Blue Ash are cetainly very nice suburbs with the great school district of Sycamore (named after the original township, since the current school district crosses multiple jurisdictional boundries.).

If you want an immediate decision, then look at Blue Ash or Montgomery. Just north of Blue Ash in Symmes Township you will find some very nice, upscale homes which are still in the Sycamore School district. You can't go wrong with any of these.

But If you are looking for truly walkable neighborhoods, none of these fit the bill. But if you can afford a $500,000 house. why are you concerned about walking? The only time I think about walking is when my car is on the fritz and I need to take it into town to the mechanic. He is a nice guy and offers to drive me home. The last couple of times I thought, it has been awhile since I walked from town to home, I should do that. What an idiotic mistake that was. By the time I got home I was huffing and puffing and ready to die. Later the mechanic called, said he found the problem, and was I ready to come and get it? I said, NO WAY, you come and get me then I will get it.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But If you are looking for truly walkable neighborhoods, none of these fit the bill. But if you can afford a $500,000 house. why are you concerned about walking? The only time I think about walking is when my car is on the fritz and I need to take it into town to the mechanic. He is a nice guy and offers to drive me home. The last couple of times I thought, it has been awhile since I walked from town to home, I should do that. What an idiotic mistake that was. By the time I got home I was huffing and puffing and ready to die. Later the mechanic called, said he found the problem, and was I ready to come and get it? I said, NO WAY, you come and get me then I will get it.
Haha, I would certainly never get rid of my car, but we love to walk to farmer's markets or coffee shops on the weekends and stroll nice towns. It would ideal to live near one. But, I'm not holding my breath. Right now, we live close to a strip mall that offers some nice options, but the nicest town center is about a 20 minute drive away. I understand I might not get that and good schools. Columbus had it, with the Worthington area.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM

What about Newtown? What is the reputation of that area and it's schools?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Wyoming would probably make the most sense. Not a ton available right now in Wyoming that would work out well for you, but probably more stuff will be coming online soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalee2 View Post
He will be working for GE Aviation in Wyoming. Wyoming does look like a nice area....
Wyoming is a nice area, along with a top-rated school-system. And, as mentioned, it's as close to GE as you can get unless you reside in one of the company's parking lots. Highly recommended!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati