Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 01:27 PM

28 posts, read 80,760 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm from out of town but was looking into getting my parents a gift certificate to the Valley Vineyard in Morrow, Ohio. Any feedback on this particular vineyard and their products would be appreciated. It seems as though their "weekend cookout" would be pretty good.

Any other suggestions if a local vineyard is better? It helps that the Valley Vineyard makes their own beer as well, as my father more interested in that.

Thanks!

Last edited by s, harry truman; 12-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s, harry truman View Post
Hello,

I'm from out of town but was looking into getting my parents a gift certificate to the Valley Vineyard in Morrow, Ohio. Any feedback on this particular vineyard and their products would be appreciated. It seems as though their "weekend cookout" is would be pretty good.

Any other suggestions if a local vineyard is better? It helps that the Valley Vineyard makes their own beer as well, as my father more interested in that.

Thanks!
A very interesting inquiry. Valley Vineyard is close to the Little Miami, may even have vineyards along the Little Miami River south of Morrow. For years they have had a grill cookout on the weekends. Haven't been there in awhile, but they provided the charcoal grill and you cooked the steaks, a DIY place, but they had the sides in place. We enjoyed it. Their wines were mostly on the dry side, which is what I prefer. Unless someone overrides me and says their have gone to Hell in a handbasket, I would welcome a gift certificate to them.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Valley Vineyards has never had the reputation for the best wine, and I've never had their beer. And honestly, I haven't had their wine for about 10 years. Things do change.

The setting is lovely and the Schuchters are great people; I've heard positive things about their cookouts.

Another winery to check into is Vinoklet, out on Colerain Avenue. No beer, but a nice restaurant.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Valley Vineyards has never had the reputation for the best wine, and I've never had their beer. And honestly, I haven't had their wine for about 10 years. Things do change.

The setting is lovely and the Schuchters are great people; I've heard positive things about their cookouts.

Another winery to check into is Vinoklet, out on Colerain Avenue. No beer, but a nice restaurant.
People who like sweet wine do not like Valley Vineyards as it is dry, dry, dry. But since that is my preference I like it just fine. Everyone to their own taste.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Really? When I used to hang out at Valley Vineyards (oh, those wild wine festivals! ), the wines were mostly sweet. I didn't care much after the first bottle. LOL

But as I said, things change.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Really? When I used to hang out at Valley Vineyards (oh, those wild wine festivals! ), the wines were mostly sweet. I didn't care much after the first bottle. LOL

But as I said, things change.
I guess I always chose the dry variety, which I know they produce. My problem with the wine festivals, that was when my older kids were running around loose in the area. They enjoyed the festivals and I ended up having to pay the traffic fines when they were indicted just after pulling out of the parking lot.

It has been a number of years, but the wife and I used to enjoy the grill cookouts a couple of times a year. Won't win any goumet awards, but a very pleasant evening to be enjoyed, especially with a nice bottle of wine.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 AM

Over the years of business traveling, I had the opportunity to visit several DIY food establishments. One of my favorites was The Oaks, in Davenport Iowa. They were kind of out in the sticks but had a huge clientele. It was a large farmhouse which they just kept adding onto. They had charcoal grills on which to cook your steaks. They had the sides already prepared, baked potato, salad, and seasonal items like roasted corn on the cob - delicious.
Why was I in Davenport?, to visit a Caterpillar plant there, one of our largest sales ever, over 20 Mil in just machinery. Just after we made the sale, Caterpillar decided to close the Davenport plant, but to move the production requirements to Peoria, Il.

Also in Davenport, a part of the Quad-Cities environment, was The Dock restaurant along the Mississippi River. For a restaurant in the middle ot the US, they served some phenomenal seafood. Once every week, they had an all you can eat Alaskian King Crab Legs special. And believe you I ate my fill, they lost money on me every time.

When the project was moved to Peoria, I spent about a year there doing the installation. Low and behold, I find there is another DIY steakhouse in Peoria near the Illinois River and marina. I am sure after all the years the name has changed. We loved it. For the non-beef crowd they had swordfish and salmon steaks, good quality. Since I was there for a year, you had to rotate. You can only consume so many grilled sirloins in a row, then you need diversity.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM

28 posts, read 80,760 times
Thanks for the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati