Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,104,262 times

Advertisements

I just found this article and read it. I wanted to get some opinions about this proposed shipment of the waste water through the Cincinnati area. Sounds like if an accident occurred it would contaminate the drinking water for many cities and towns in the area.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB...ld-headed-here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,841,815 times
I must have missed it, but what's the destination?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,756,253 times
I don't think it's a good idea as there is always the potential of accidents no matter how carefully it's done.

And, as stated above, what's the destination?

That said, don't forget some of the water is from an aquifer.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,705,228 times
Meh, it has to go somewhere and it's not like dangerous stuff doesn't already travel the barges.

I love the work "frack" for its dual meaning. Battlestar Galactica forever.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:19 PM

Potentially, this is serious trouble. A single truck over turning with this stuff could cause a lot of damage to a water supply but only if it happens to be traveling in a watershed area or near one of its feeder streams or rivers. Aside from that the damage would be more easily contained than if dozens of these trailers are shipped over the river and happen to get into an accident and even just a few spill into the water.

Anyone know where Covington gets its drinking water?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:23 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,841,815 times
So many disasters the past few years with water. Why even take the chance?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Potentially, this is serious trouble. A single truck over turning with this stuff could cause a lot of damage to a water supply but only if it happens to be traveling in a watershed area or near one of its feeder streams or rivers. Aside from that the damage would be more easily contained than if dozens of these trailers are shipped over the river and happen to get into an accident and even just a few spill into the water.

Anyone know where Covington gets its drinking water?
I usually get mine at Kroger's.

(But, don't forget, I'm from Dayton, and therefore am probably more finicky than many people. In fact, I don't get the drinking water unless they are all out of distilled. It's cheap enough -- about a dollar plus tax -- at least I think there may be tax on it, but I'm not sure about that.)

Old 01-14-2014, 05:56 PM

This is akin to putting a nuke plant on a major fault line. This is a "frackcident" just waiting to happen.

I wonder if there is some kind of filter that you can purchase to put over your water faucet and shower head to eliminate the crap that is going to be in the water from a spill? I've read that this stuff is already seeping into the drinking water of areas where fracking is taking place.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I usually get mine at Kroger's.

(But, don't forget, I'm from Dayton, and therefore am probably more finicky than many people. In fact, I don't get the drinking water unless they are all out of distilled. It's cheap enough -- about a dollar plus tax.)
I spent $250 on a quality filter for drinking. Not sure it can get the contaminants found in the water from fracking out though. And then there is the issue of bathing… Would need a filter for that as well.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I spent $250 on a quality filter for drinking. Not sure it can get the contaminants found in the water from fracking out though. And then there is the issue of bathing… Would need a filter for that as well.
Water washes, and some other liquids do, too. They clean even if they have some dirt in them. It's what you put inside of you that matters the most, unless you are talking about something that can eat away your skin or some such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati