Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 01:09 PM

8 posts, read 9,141 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a 2013 college graduate who will be transferring to Cincinnati for work in the very near future. I was born and raised in the Cincy area, but went to college out of state and have lived and worked in Atlanta for a little over a year now. I have looked into neighborhood/apartment possibilities a lot recently, but in some cases it can be hard to overlook things I thought I knew about certain areas having grown up here.

I know the "hot spots" are Mt. Adams, Oakley/Hyde Park, and downtown; I'd love some additional input though! I saw a couple complexes (Grandin House and Boulevard at Oakley) on a recent trip back, but would love to hear everyone's opinions!

Where is you current location and environment?
I currently live in Atlanta and I'm pretty conveniently located where a few areas (Buckhead, Midtown, and North Druid Hills) come together. The neighborhood is more of an overlap area and doesn't have its own distinct character. There are a couple things within walking distance, but for the most part I drive everywhere. Even though I drive, it only takes me about 15 minutes to get to most things.

Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?
I'm not too picky, although it would be nice to have a little bit more within walking distance.

Where will your work location be?/Maximum commute time desired?
I will be working downtown and would prefer to commute no more than 15ish minutes (really looking to move south of Norwood Lateral).

Housing Details
I would like to go no higher than about $1,350 (double that for a roommate in a two-bedroom apartments, although most wouldn't be that much). I'd prefer an apartment complex, but condo rentals aren't out of the question. 1 or 2 bedrooms

Neighborhood environment?
I don't necessarily love a super urban environment (high rises everywhere, etc.), but I would be open to the right location downtown. I'd prefer to be in a neighborhood/complex with a lot of young professionals. I don't HAVE to be in the middle of everything though. For instance, Oakley is fine even though OTR, The Banks, and Mt. Adams are more popular destinations for entertainment. Safety and security are very, very important to me.

Community amenities?
As I said above, I'd like to be within walking distance of some things, but entertainment doesn't need to be right outside my door. I'd honestly prefer to be closer to shopping (grocery stores, boutiques, etc.) and restaurants than bars and heavy nightlife districts, but being near entertainment would be great too. At the very least, I want to be convenient to entertainment (Mt. Adams, The Banks, OTR, etc.). I would like a fitness center in the complex or very near. Love to be around a little greenery - whether that's a park or just nice tree-lined streets. I'd prefer to have controlled access and a garage, which I'm realizing is very rare in Cincinnati vs. in Atlanta where it's the rule rather than the exception. I like more modern apartments as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Newport!

Possibly Covington too. I'll post links later.

And a couple other suggestions - Northside and Pendelton. Others can elaborate more on most all of these better than I can.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM

8 posts, read 9,141 times
I hadn't thought about Northside...I've been in the area once and I'm not sure I can imagine living there. Somewhere near Newport on the Levee could be a good option, but it's always hard to get an unbiased opinion...Ohioans would never recommend Kentucky, but people who live in Kentucky are all for it.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
You can live in HP for $1350. And, for working downtown you can actually bus down and save parking and gas and wear and tear. There is no more walkable community that is safe. Why you would even consider the other alternatives mentioned above is a mystery. I don't think there is a single apartment in either Northside or Covington I would feel safe in.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:28 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You can live in HP for $1350. And, for working downtown you can actually bus down and save parking and gas and wear and tear. There is no more walkable community that is safe. Why you would even consider the other alternatives mentioned above is a mystery. I don't think there is a single apartment in either Northside or Covington I would feel safe in.
Pretty strong recommendation. Busing to and from work is a good idea, even if you have a car. Avoids the parking and gas and wear and tear. By not needing to pay parking you are ahead right there. HP is certainly safe and you can walk to about anything you want.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Pretty strong recommendation. Busing to and from work is a good idea, even if you have a car. Avoids the parking and gas and wear and tear. By not needing to pay parking you are ahead right there. HP is certainly safe and you can walk to about anything you want.

That's what I did when I got out of college. Bus service from HP is very frequent and dependable. I'd suggest the Op look along Erie and Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati