Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 10:23 AM

150 posts, read 172,126 times

Advertisements

The house is under warranty for appliance repair with First American Home Buyers Protection Corp, out in California. This outfit is apparently used by sellers and realtors locally as an inducement to home buyers. Over a month ago I reported a dishwasher did not function. They assigned B&A Appliances (45230) which came several times, ordered parts, and finally admitted they could not repair the defect. The last visit was yesterday and the worker came in a battered, unmarked white van. He +- installed a new circuit board, scratched his head, and left. I have been contacting the warranty company frequently during this period: long waits on the phone waiting for their rep in Nicaragua to (again) tell me that help is on the way. They have now assigned another repair company because 'additional expertise is needed'. Right. They needed to send a competent repairman the first time. The 'new' company cannot schedule a visit for another week. I've reported the experience to the OH Attorney General and the BBB out in California, and will also report to the Cinci Bd of Realtors. Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 12:45 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,976,445 times
My experience is they aren't worth the paper they're written on. It's paid for by home sellers, so it's free to home buyers, so it's become standard to offer it in all home sales. The insurance company slows the claims process to the point people give up, and they don't make a big deal about it because they didn't pay for it.

A fantastic business model.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:36 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,949,338 times
fighting a home warranty company will be hitting your head against a wall. not worth the stress or time. lesson learned and move on. my take on it, anyways.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:50 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,823,654 times
It might be for naught, but I would like a complaint against the realtor who sold you the house with the BBB. Most companies do not like to see BBB complaints against them. They likely have no control over the home warranty but they made a big deal out of it when they old you the house.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:00 AM

Yesterday I filed several complaints online, and one was quite effective. The local Board of Realtors contacted First American directly and a 'real' person from the warranty company called me almost immediately, with profuse apologies and a link to another repair company which will be at my home at 8 a.m. Monday. They would hate to lose business in Cincinnati. Sometimes the economic incentive is most effective!

Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,823,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2000 View Post
Yesterday I filed several complaints online, and one was quite effective. The local Board of Realtors contacted First American directly and a 'real' person from the warranty company called me almost immediately, with profuse apologies and a link to another repair company which will be at my home at 8 a.m. Monday. They would hate to lose business in Cincinnati. Sometimes the economic incentive is most effective!
Glad to hear you are making some progress. Some say forget it, you did not pay for it. Oh yes you did. Whatever the seller sold you the house for they calculated the cost of the home warranty into it, so you paid for it one way or another.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:04 PM

224 posts, read 297,994 times
I lucked out on the home warranty with my current place, as a major appliance had to be replaced within the time period and it's still going strong. But knowing what I know now, I'd never do the home warranty thing again.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
I lucked out on the home warranty with my current place, as a major appliance had to be replaced within the time period and it's still going strong. But knowing what I know now, I'd never do the home warranty thing again.
Agreed, but if its there make them perform as contracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: