Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 PM

83 posts, read 81,191 times

Advertisements

I am 19 years old, currently attending a community college near Des Moines, Iowa. I have lived in a small town my entire life and have wanted to move to a bigger city for a while now. The smart thing I do understand is to stay in-state and finish my education, but that is 3-4 years out if I were to take that route, and a lot can happen in that 3-4 years which could hinder my chances at getting away.

I want that urban feel where there's always something going on. I'm a huge sports fan, so having 2+ major sports team is a must. I am a college student and certainly do not come from a family with a lot of money. I want to move somewhere, go to a community college for one more year and get my Associates degree, and than move on to a 4-year school and get a bachelors.

I will be 21 next November, so a good nightlife does matter.

The COL does definitely matter, i'm getting no family help so all the expenses are on me. I do like the four seasons, although the cold can get to be a bit much at times where i'm from (Northern Iowa, close to Minnesota border). In a big city I think it'd be a lot easier to handle than the places i've lived though.

So any input would help. Most important factors would be good colleges, cost of living, sports teams, etc.

Like I said though, I will unfortunately likely have to pay OST, to affordable schools do matter. Whatever city I move to I would like to make home for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:29 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Are you going to be adding to your OP's to the forums of various cities, or stopping at five?

Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Are you going to be adding to your OP's to the forums of various cities, or stopping at five?
Uh, did you ever stop to think he may have a number of places he is presently researching in order to create a short list? At one point in the past I actually had a dozen places I was actively researching as a potential place to relocate until I was able to use a process of elimination to pare the list down to three locations.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:00 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC5 View Post
I am 19 years old, currently attending a community college near Des Moines, Iowa. I have lived in a small town my entire life and have wanted to move to a bigger city for a while now. The smart thing I do understand is to stay in-state and finish my education, but that is 3-4 years out if I were to take that route, and a lot can happen in that 3-4 years which could hinder my chances at getting away.

I want that urban feel where there's always something going on. I'm a huge sports fan, so having 2+ major sports team is a must. I am a college student and certainly do not come from a family with a lot of money. I want to move somewhere, go to a community college for one more year and get my Associates degree, and than move on to a 4-year school and get a bachelors.

I will be 21 next November, so a good nightlife does matter.

The COL does definitely matter, i'm getting no family help so all the expenses are on me. I do like the four seasons, although the cold can get to be a bit much at times where i'm from (Northern Iowa, close to Minnesota border). In a big city I think it'd be a lot easier to handle than the places i've lived though.

So any input would help. Most important factors would be good colleges, cost of living, sports teams, etc.

Like I said though, I will unfortunately likely have to pay OST, to affordable schools do matter. Whatever city I move to I would like to make home for the long haul.
Personally, if it was me, I would stick with my present situation and continue the education in Iowa until I had a chance to visit other places and get a feel for them. Don't pick a place strictly by the information you receive on the message boards and through other people without visiting first. I did that in the past and it turned out to be a mistake.

It may be easier to relocate after you graduate. You can concentrate on finding work instead of having to consider schools. It will be easier to live on your own if you don't have to simultaneously balance a social life, work and school. If it was me I'd get the Associates in Iowa and then relocate.

Do you have a car or do you have to rely upon mass transit?

Cincy is pretty affordable, it is a real city and has a real urban life that you seem to desire. The job market is improving as well. And the University of Cincinnati is a decent school that likely will have the programs you seek.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
OP, stay in Iowa. You're going through some of the toughest years of your life right now. Don't throw away what you have by moving to a new city.

Honestly, watching a big game in a stadium is not much different than watching it at home with friends and a good supply of snacks and beer. Drive however many minutes it takes to get to your city and enjoy the amenities there. If you want, get an apartment near your parent's so you have your own independence without sacrificing your connections.

It's a big, lonely, disconnected world out there. People don't care about each other. Stay where you are.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 AM

465 posts, read 659,360 times
No problem comparison shopping. I'd also visit cities on your short list but with the understanding that you won't be able to see everything to a city (good or bad) in a short visit. You can still live for pretty cheaply close to the urban core of Cincinnati and you can go to Cincinnati State for your associate's degree and UC for your bachelor's relatively easily. Sports teams are affordable and there are a few low cost night life options throughout the city as well.

Very specifically, I'd suggest looking at Clifton Colony or somewhere in Camp Washington or close to Cen5ral Parkway for housing. It's convenient to both Cincy State and UC and much more affordable for rent than up the hill closer to UC.

Wherever you do wind up going, establish legal residency as soon as possible. You may have to pay out of state tuition for the community college for a year, but you should be able to save yourself that expense at the door year school that way.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Uh, did you ever stop to think he may have a number of places he is presently researching in order to create a short list? At one point in the past I actually had a dozen places I was actively researching as a potential place to relocate until I was able to use a process of elimination to pare the list down to three locations.
This right here...

If it offends anyone i'm sorry, but as you can also see in the General forum I have a post going there. I just want information about cities and narrow things down to which would be the best fit. Didn't know that this was bad...?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Personally, if it was me, I would stick with my present situation and continue the education in Iowa until I had a chance to visit other places and get a feel for them. Don't pick a place strictly by the information you receive on the message boards and through other people without visiting first. I did that in the past and it turned out to be a mistake.

It may be easier to relocate after you graduate. You can concentrate on finding work instead of having to consider schools. It will be easier to live on your own if you don't have to simultaneously balance a social life, work and school. If it was me I'd get the Associates in Iowa and then relocate.

Do you have a car or do you have to rely upon mass transit?

Cincy is pretty affordable, it is a real city and has a real urban life that you seem to desire. The job market is improving as well. And the University of Cincinnati is a decent school that likely will have the programs you seek.
Yeah, i'm not going totally on message boards. I have a good buddy of mine living up in Minneapolis and plan to visit during christmas break. Going to be a bit tougher to see places like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. for sure. I also know where all you guys are coming from on the AA degree ordeal, I will likely be about 20 credits short of it after spring.

I do have a car about it has about 200k miles, not sure how much longer it has in it.

That's what i've heard regarding Cincinnati, that's why I thought it made a little sense possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
No problem comparison shopping. I'd also visit cities on your short list but with the understanding that you won't be able to see everything to a city (good or bad) in a short visit. You can still live for pretty cheaply close to the urban core of Cincinnati and you can go to Cincinnati State for your associate's degree and UC for your bachelor's relatively easily. Sports teams are affordable and there are a few low cost night life options throughout the city as well.

Very specifically, I'd suggest looking at Clifton Colony or somewhere in Camp Washington or close to Cen5ral Parkway for housing. It's convenient to both Cincy State and UC and much more affordable for rent than up the hill closer to UC.

Wherever you do wind up going, establish legal residency as soon as possible. You may have to pay out of state tuition for the community college for a year, but you should be able to save yourself that expense at the door year school that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
OP, stay in Iowa. You're going through some of the toughest years of your life right now. Don't throw away what you have by moving to a new city.

Honestly, watching a big game in a stadium is not much different than watching it at home with friends and a good supply of snacks and beer. Drive however many minutes it takes to get to your city and enjoy the amenities there. If you want, get an apartment near your parent's so you have your own independence without sacrificing your connections.

It's a big, lonely, disconnected world out there. People don't care about each other. Stay where you are.
I appreciate the thoughts. I get what you're saying, but I don't think it hurts to travel around a bit and know if living way out by yourself would work or not. I'd rather try it, know if I hate it, than move back then never do it and know if it's something I should have done.

It may not be a whole lot different, and I get that while i'm in school I likely won't be able to attend many games, but I like having options to do things. Here, there is literally nothing to do.

I believe you in that regard, but I don't see the hurt in trying something else. I surely wouldn't live very close to my parents regardless, there isn't a Walmart within 40 miles if that tells you something. I do know i'd rather at the very least live in a suburb of a city than a small rural town by tons and tons of farms in which I have zero interest in.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM

224 posts, read 297,660 times
To the OP - Instead of looking for someplace you want to live for a long time to come, just focus on finding someplace you'd rather live for the next few years.

You may want to consider Indianapolis. I think the people there tend to be friendlier than here. It's a couple hours closer to your home in Iowa, yet you still have enough distance and it satisfies other requirements like having pro sports teams in town (and if you just have to see big league baseball, Cincinnati is only 2 hours away). It's affordable and the weather there is comparable to Cincy.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
A resident poster here will vehemently disagree with you advice misfit toy but I personally have to agree with you.

Few places would be better than Broad Ripple in Indy for you to check out if you are serious about moving.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati